Gastric Plication in Mexico: I'm Ovewhelmed!

JohnnyMadison
on 9/28/12 5:30 am
VSG on 11/30/12
I'm looking to have GSP surgery in Mexico in the upcoming months.  I've gotten quotes from Dr. Verboonen's office, as well as Dr. Ariel Ortiz's office.  The quotes are about $2K apart.  Should that concern me if I pick the lower option?

It all just seeems overwhelming to me.  I am obviously drawn to the lower price but, of course, want to make sure the quality is right.  Any advice to a newbie?
acbbrown
on 9/28/12 11:36 am - Granada Hills, CA
 My only advice is to get far far away from a gastric plication. Please do your research. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

1traveler
on 9/28/12 2:18 pm
VSG on 11/14/12 with
Hello JohnnyMadison,
I would look into the VSG instead. Why have your stomach folded, when you can have 85% of it removed. I understand how overwhelming the decision can be to have surgery, let alone in Mexico. I have researched quite a bit, before deciding on VSG. I'm having the VSG surgery with DR. Joya in Nov. as I feel this is the best option for me.

Good Luck researching
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/12 12:57 am, edited 9/29/12 12:58 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
Hi there. Please consider getting the sleeve. A side effect that can happen is stomach necrosis with the plication. I will admit though, that it is rare. Please watch this video by Dr. Alvarez on gastric sleeve vs. gastric plication. Also, there is a board called gastric plication talk where a lot of patients didn't lose anywhere near the amount as an average sleeve patient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLdJlbVchI
Dr. Alvarez gastric plication vs. gastric sleeve

Please remember that the plication does not take out ghrehlin (the hunger hormone). With the sleeve, it is largely removed and you will not experience as much hunger as you do now. Some people report never having hunger.

Just please think about this. And please watch the video.

As far as Dr. Verboonen--I know two people who have gone to him and said their experiences were fine. There isn't as much known about him.  Dr. Ariel Ortiz is more well known and has a lot of experience. I am pretty sure the 2,000 higher price was from Dr. Ortiz because of his experience and good repuation.  Just be smart about it.
sleevegirl
on 9/29/12 1:15 am - Austin, TX
There's zero percent chance I would consider a plication for ME. I've ready too many horror stories. I will also say that there's only a hand full of Mexico surgeons I would trust. Dr. Alvarez is one of them.

Research. Then research some more. Then do some more.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

beckyinkc
on 9/29/12 1:29 am
VSG on 07/25/12
I'm with everyone else; make sure you research your chosen surgery option to make sure you're OK with the risks associated.  I, too, think the VSG is a better choice, but to each their own.

That being said, I would research those doctors and look for their stats online.  Talk to people who've used those surgeons, read online reviews (with a grain of salt, of course), and make sure that you make the decision with that information in mind.  You're paying someone to cut you open and play with a major organ.  Prices really mean very little when you're talking about entrusting your continued existence to someone.

On here, I've seen Dr. Aceves and Dr. Alvarez recommended pretty highly.  Those are the two that come to mind.  I *think* I've seen Dr. Ortiz's name before, but I can't recall any specifics.  Just try to read all you can before making your decision.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views