2.5 weeks post op...bummed out

sheranfour
on 9/30/12 2:28 am

OK, so I'm trying to chill out here. I was sleeved 9/11 and I've been feeling great. The weight loss has been great and I only weigh myself on Tuesdays. For some stupid reason I felt the urge to get on the scale this morn. I haven't lost a single oz since Tues??!! How can that be?? I keep a food diary...I've been on point with everything and following the plan to a "T" !!
Water too!!
Today I'm going to add in my elliptical workout for the first time and hope it helps.
But PLEASE! I'm too early in my post-op to stall!!!
I had planned for the RNY for 2 yrs but found out 30 days ago I couldn't due to a new medical problem...I'm kinda scared that now this is going to feel like "just a diet" at only 3 weeks out!!!
I'm really bummed out today!!
~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
laurahuff65
on 9/30/12 2:36 am
 Hang in there! Your going to hit stalls all the way! I just got over a 3 month stall!! UUGGHH!

sleevegirl
on 9/30/12 2:42 am - Austin, TX
It's called "three week stall" - search for it here. Some folk**** it earlier, some later, but it's normal. Stay off the scale if you can't handle it. Everyone hits stalls - in fact, look at my profile (VERY bottom, BUT DO NOT COMPARE my numbers to yours, you could lose faster or slower, but you'll see I've had plenty of "pauses" along the way).

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

grannymedic1
on 9/30/12 2:43 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I found with my band while losing weight if I weighed more than once a week I would be all over the place. Down then up, the same, up a pound or 2, down a few oz. up a couple, and on the day I was supposed to weigh I would be down. It was just weird but I learned not to take anything too seriously unless it was on or after the weigh day.

One other thing to consider is that you likely lost weight before surgery so your body may be taking a temporary rest for a bit. Another: When weight stalls be sure to check inches. I did not lose a pound for 4 weeks but lost a ton of inches and 2 sizes. To me that was better than pounds.

The most important thing to know is to not stress!

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

moonglo82
on 9/30/12 3:04 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Not too early for a stall at all.

My 3-week stall started right at 2.5 weeks out. It lasted a little over two weeks, and had me ready to burn my scale lol. But, when it was over, my clothes from before the stall were so big that they were no longer wearable. Totally worth it!

It sucks while it's happening, but it happens to just about all of us. Our bodies need to take time to adjust to what we're doing every so often, and during this time things tend to shift around some too, so it really helps us to look leaner (at least that's been my experience).

Keep getting your fluids and protein in, and keep exercising. The scale will move again when it's ready, but that doesn't mean you're not making progress

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

rmsimmons
on 9/30/12 3:15 am - MA
VSG on 09/12/12
 I was going to ask the same question-I was sleeved on 9/12 and was weighing myself every day (and pleased with the results at first)-then I started seeing 1-2 pounds of fluctuations up and down.  I came on here and read that there is commonly a stall the first couple of weeks out so I'm NOT weighing myself daily anymore (it's helped my sanity a bit).

That's a good point about having a stall because of weight loss prior to surgery-prior to surgery I love a little over 20 pounds.  I never thought about that.

We just have to remember that early in the post op stage there is NO way we can be gaining pounds of fat since our calories are so restricted-it's something like consuming over 3,000 calories to gain one pound of fat-which none of of us early post op's are doing (or many veterans either)-I know my post op diet is from 600-800 calories a day and I'm barely making the calories requirements (but I'm meeting my hydration and protein requirements so my Nut says that's what matters right now).

You also have to remember that you had major surgery where a part of a major organ was removed from your body-there is still swelling and healing with all the tissue damage.  Keep positive-I know coming here and reading other's stories who are in all different stages makes me feel better!

Weight at first consultation: 372  Surgery Weight: 324

Current Weight: 188

sheranfour
on 9/30/12 3:36 am
Please forgive the cliche...but...
OMG!!!!
I didn't know abt the 3 week stall!!!!!!! I can't thank you guys enough for that info!!!! I thought it was me!
I am SOOOOOOO glad I shared that and didn't just stew all day!!!
I'm keeping my head up and moving forward now with a better feeling!
THANK YOU!!!!!
lisa2job
on 9/30/12 4:00 am - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
I was sleeved 6-9-11 and I lost 9 lbs right off the bat the  first week then nothing for 2 weeks just started loosing again this last few days , the scale will catch up to you ,  what I did find though is that I lost allot of inches during my stall ...............   so dont let it get you down !!!  Please  note my sister who has had RYN at the end of August has been in a month long stall , so it happens in both worlds they have stalls the same as us .............
Just keep doing what your doing the weight will come off !!!!

AnnieinIA
on 9/30/12 4:08 am
I, too, had my surgery on 9/11. This morning I was a bit whiny too, because I have only lost 15 lbs since surgery and that doesn't seem "fair". But as of yet (could change) I have not hit a stall. But think of it this way. If you stall while I continue to lose another 7 lbs we are even.

Of course I am not saying that will happen of course, but just pointing out you are considerably ahead of me at this point. We are all different and it will be good in the end.

Annie
sheranfour
on 9/30/12 4:23 am
So I searched for info on this 3 week stall thing....I found a post from a yr ago that quoted another explanation so here it is:

" He did warn me about the 3 week stall and gave me a very thorough explanation as to why it occurs. He said that for the first 2 weeks or so after a surgery or any other bodily trauma (think car accident), the body goes into a “Catabolic" state, which basically means that in an effort to repair itself, the body starts breaking down muscle. There’s a lot of water stored in muscle, which is also released during this time. He also assured me that no amount of protein supplements will change the Catabolic state - the body goes to muscle first to get the protein it needs to heal. Once week 3 or so hits, the body has made the necessary repairs and it now starts to rebuild the muscle it burned during the previous 2 weeks. Which means that while you don’t lose much (if any) weight, your body is now converting stored energy and supplemented protein into muscle (so you tend to lose quite a few inches during this time). My doctor joked that about 50% of his patients call him during week 3 freaked out because they haven’t lost weight and they think something is wrong. Anyway, I found the explanation very interesting!"
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views