Back from 4 hrs in ER - 9 days post op - had chest pain - possible PE????

Ohiogirl
on 10/11/12 3:48 pm - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
 I am a self-pay patient for the sleeve surgery.  I have insurance but it excluded bariatric surgery.  Today I was speaking to the PA at my surgeon's office - mentioned that I had some chest discomfort - me -thinking it was reflux but obviously the PA thought it could be a PE.  I was not having any breathlessness or racing heart but she insisted that I go to ER in my hometown since my surgeon is 1 1/2 hrs away.  I told her I was pretty sure it was not a PE (I'm giving myself Lovonox shots as they require) but she said since I mentioned chest pain and I had already had a cardiac work up - that a blood clot was a possibility.  Well after the conversation - I guess she convinced me that I should go to the ER.  I resisted because I'm thinking my insurance will not pay since my sleeve was not covered and there was no way I could not tell the ER what was going on.

Anyway - I had blood work and then a CT scan - they called my surgeon - good results but then he tells them to hook me up to fluids.  I was on schedule with my fluids (I sipped the whole time in ER) so I was bummed.  Got home and gained 4 lbs.  

Just bummed - might cost me $5000 if insurance rejects the claim (and I'mnot rich by any means) and I gained water weight.  I know it will go away but so far this journey has been a tough one (if you have followed my breast bx, surgery cancelled, blood pressure issues you know) and the weight melting off has been the reward.  

Just hoping the rest of the journey is a little smoother.  I know one thing - it must be easier if your surgeon is in the same town as you are and if your insurance covers the sleeve then you don't worry about going to ER if necessary.  Gosh I hope I don't have to again.

Thanks for reading - guess I am just whinning - I did learn that I won't mention chest pain any more unless I plan on going to ER.

Paula

acbbrown
on 10/11/12 4:05 pm - Granada Hills, CA
 Im just guessing, but Id assume "chest pains, possible PE" would be something your insurance should cover since it's not directly related to the bariatric surgery....If you were being treated for a leak or actual problem with the VSG, i could see that being denied. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Brittany R.
on 10/11/12 10:13 pm
I had to go for fluids this past tuesday and I gained 5 lbs. Don't worry after you use the restroom a couple times it's gone or atleast mine was
Lee ~
on 10/12/12 1:32 am - CA
Whine away. $5k is difficult to swallow . Hopefully it will be covered. Most important is that you did not risk your health over money. The five will leave and take more with it!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

LilSleeved
on 10/12/12 2:17 am
I am so glad you're okay.  I hope your insurance covers it!  I am like you, I would be stressed too.  The weight gain is temporary, you should be okay in a few days. 

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views