let me get that right?

Rua07
on 10/29/12 9:03 am - Canada

is it true that you can never drink while eating? is that forever?

I don't know how I am going to do that? specially I drink a lot while eating :(I know it is bad but not even little! what if i choked?!

I can live with that for a few months if that is a post operation think, but is it forever?

acbbrown
on 10/29/12 9:12 am - Granada Hills, CA

No, you can eat and drink if you want. Just be prepared to be extremely uncomfortable and maybe puke a little.

Im almost 17 months out, and if I eat dense protein, drinking too soon makes me sick. If I eat sliders/carbs/soft foods, I can drink, it's a little uncomfortable, but that's like...cheating my sleeve. So sure I can, and I do from time to time, but I know the consequences.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Rua07
on 10/29/12 9:21 am - Canada

Thank you for comforting me, I think i am freaking out as my operation date is coming sooner, mine should be on Nov. 3

acbbrown
on 10/29/12 9:29 am - Granada Hills, CA

That is coming up. Focus on the big picture. Dont worry about the little stuff right now. Hopefully youll get a list of rules from your doc to help make the most of your sleeve. If you want long term success though, you should be prepared to give up drinking liquid calories and give up drinking with your meals. It does suck but after a couple months, you get so used to it that it seems normal.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/12 10:13 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

I didn't think I'd do well with not drinking and eating but I'm so used to it now that it's ok. It flushes the food down way faster if you do it and I agree--it's just really uncomfortable and I would NOT want to deal with it. The one time I tried to drink 15 minutes after eating it hurt like a b&tch. The only reason I drank that soon after eating was because I was out in the Texas summer heat. I was parched. So it's really like second nature to me and I don't  miss it. And I ALWAYS drank and ate at the same time before surgery.

SuzyNZ
on 10/29/12 3:53 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
I actually thought this would be one of the harder things and you know what....it's really not.

You will find that once you are eating proper food, you actually physically feel that you can't drink while you are eating, or even 30 mins later. Sometimes its more like an hour for me.

Every once in a while, if Ive eaten something a little dry I will have a little wee sip of water while I eat just to moisten my mouth again, but it isn't as hard as I thought it would be to break that habit of drinking and eating together.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

doggz109
on 10/29/12 4:16 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12

Post op its not as bad as you seem to think it will be.  It's just a habit you develop.  As they said.....if you don't you will puke and it will feel like crap....and it will impede your weight loss.

You will be chewing food enough and taking small enough bites that you do not need something to "wa**** down".  You need all that real estate in your new sleeve for food, not liquids.  It's one or the other.

And yes....it is forever. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/29/12 5:59 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
You know, it is not just a sleeve reality. In lots of cultures drinking while eating is not done at all and tea and other liquids are served with the third course -- ie. sweets and usually about an hour after the main meal. I come from one of those cultures and have never drank anything with any of my meals except coffee at breakfast. So for me this part is like second nature.
Example: this article talks about drinking with meals in general and not at all for bariatric patients. If it is true for normies then it is more than true for us.
http://www.herdaily.com/health/3996/drinking-water-while-eating-is-a-big.html

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Rua07
on 10/30/12 7:21 am - Canada

Thank you all for your wonderful info. and support, I really appreciate the time you spent to answer my questions.

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/30/12 7:46 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Whether you're able to SIP after eating will depend on what you've eaten. If I under eat my sleeve and stick to light foods I can sip a coffee fairly soon after. If I've eaten heavier, denser food like chicken or fish there's no way. Trust me, you're going to learn this reality quickly and won't find it difficult to follow the rules.

As Dr Aceves told us," You'll drink too soon once, maybe twice, then you'll learn."

The only exception is if I've eaten something too dry and Fred is having a hard time. Then I'll take TINY sips, a few minutes apart - just enough to moisten what I swallowed so Fred can do his job. When I say tiny, I'm talking a couple of drops - maybe as much as 1/4 tsp at a time. Actual drinking? Just hope you have a clear path to the bathroom.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views