VSG and Hernia repair

forthetwins
on 11/8/12 7:06 am - CA

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to OH and I am am hoping to have my VSG in the next few months. My journey actually started over a year ago when I completed all my tests, nutrition and diet. I had a surgery date for January 9th and I was very excited. Unfortunately, my husband lost his job and my insurance with it. It wasn't until this September that I got a job and insurance and now I'm back on track. I am really hoping that most of my testing, nutrition etc. will not have to be repeated. I will know more about that on the 21st. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

I have been reading that some people who had hiatal hernia repairs with their VSG had lots of pain. I have a hiatal hernia and now I'm not sure I want to get it fixed. Is there anyone out there that had a VSG and a hiatal hernia repair that was not in lots of pain? I would love to hear about your experiences with that goo or bad.

Thanks 

~nikki

frisco
on 11/8/12 7:56 am, edited 11/8/12 7:57 am

Talk to your VSG surgeon about it.......

I would think it is an absolute "Must" (actually I know for sure....just trying to be PC"

Some people claim pain and others not....

The bottom line is if your VSG surgeon doesn't recommend the HH repaired during VSG....... find another surgeon.....fast !

The HH needs to be repaired for potential reflux issues.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Italian-Princess
on 11/8/12 8:06 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi 

Welcome to OH.  This is a great site to get information, ask questions, and find support and encouragement as you make your wa on your journey. 

I had my VSG about 4 months ago.  They also did an umbilical hernia repair and a hiatal hernia repair.  I had NO pain with the hiatal repair.  I didn't even know they repaired it until I was about to go home!  The sleeve surgery didn't cause me pain..........just a little discomfort.  The only pain I had, and it was mild, was from the umbilical hernia repair.  Those two incisions pinched and felt twingy for about a week...........but not enough to need pain meds.  I was sent home with pain meds in case I needed help. I took one half a dose the first night home and one half dose my second night home -- that was used more to let me get to sleep than for pain.

For me, all three surgeries were pretty much a walk in the park.  What may have helped me is that I've had a LOT of surgeries in my life.........I'm 65 and have lots of experience in how to go from one position to another right after surgery.  I think that made things easier.........plus I have a positive attitude and am a firm believer in the power of our minds to help us get through some difficulties.  It's a whole package -- whatever you can add to your own will help you.......experience, mental outlook, personal strengths..........anything and everything you have in your arsenal is there to use to help you get through the surgery and the first couple of weeks post-op. 

Wishing you all the best for your appointment on the 21st!  Good luck...........and please come back and post so we can see how you are doing.

Ree

Urseo
on 11/8/12 8:33 am - IL
VSG on 09/11/12

*waves* I had a hiatal hernia repair, and don't think I had any more (or less) post-op pain due to it.  I guess I wouldn't know the difference :)

What a long year you've had!  Congratulations on your new job, and on getting back to something that's very important to you!

forthetwins
on 11/8/12 9:32 am - CA

Thanks so much for your responses. 

~nikki

happyteacher
on 11/8/12 9:57 am

Oh my goodness, i would get it repaired a hundred times over!!  My recovery was super smooth overall- up and walking around after the morning surgery by that evening.  Yes, there was some pain associated with the hernia repair- but it was more than tolerable for sure.  I had terrible reflux that I had up to that surgery thought was "normal" and had no idea that it was related to the hernia.  The short term discomfort alone was worth not having to eat Tums every 3 minutes!  If I were to make the decision again I would not hesitate!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

boomercd
on 11/8/12 10:09 am - OH
Congrats to you!!!
yes I had a HH repair with my VSG and had some left shoulder pain but Im not really sure if it was from the VSG or the repair, at any rate I'd do them again together... you Need the repair so why not? It really was not that bad.
Good luck to you wishing you all the best.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/8/12 12:53 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I had a surprise HH that the surgeon saw when he went in. It is a MUST to get it repaired. I was in no pain at all post op. He said I would have pain swallowing. I did not. Chest pain. None. And those who did, I have not read on here that it has been excruciating. Having your sleeve going into your chest cavity and having major reflux, well...that is much worse than a bit of post op discomfort. Which you may not have! No doubt, HH must be repaired.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Ladyazblue
on 11/8/12 1:28 pm - Palm Springs, CA

Hello there,

I too had an HH repair with my VSG. Did great no issues, went back to work one week after my surgery just to prove to myself I could this. I was a little sore after work but the ammount of energy you have when you get home is astounding! Good luck to you on your journey and know that we're all here for you!

I read the threads on here and these wonderful people helped me through everyday!

Take Care :)

karismommy231
on 11/8/12 1:43 pm
VSG on 11/05/12

I had a HH repair and VSG on Monday (11/5/12) and I am in pain but not terrible. I don't know if the pain is from the HH repair or the VSG but you will be on great meds after the surgery so what does it matter? I am taking Percocet now that I am home every 6 hours and am fine. It hurts to swallow pills and jello but I think thats just from gas? I wouldn't worry about it. Get it repaired hun! GL!

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views