How can I tell if I'm undereating my sleeve?

lillypie9
on 11/20/12 9:27 am
VSG on 11/02/12

I am finishing my third week post surgery and have had no trouble getting all my liquids and 80 grams of protein a day. I have had the sensation of hunger since I woke up in the hospital after surgery. 

I am having trouble figuring out what undereating my sleeve feels like. Pre-surgery, I could tell when I was approaching "full", however now, at some meals, I don't seem to have that line of demarcation; I'll be eating and feel fine and then suddenly it's like OMG I'm stuffed. Some meals, I'll start to feel gassy and feel like I need to burp, but if I stop eating then, I'll feel hungry again in a couple of hours.

Do I just rely on food measurements until all the nerve endings in my stomach heal? Should I stop eating still feeling a little hungry? Would love input.

acbbrown
on 11/20/12 9:46 am - Granada Hills, CA

Im 17 months out and still have no sensation to tell me im approaching full. I only know once ive taken that 1 bite too many (or 10 bites to many haha). 

Some days I can eat and eat. Some days a couple bites has me miserable. Early out, Id say stick to pre-measured portions, err on the smaller side, and if your body tells you that you are done before then, no big deal, just stop eating. 

Go see your doc and get on a PPI. Acid is the biggest reason for hunger. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

lillypie9
on 11/20/12 1:34 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

I'm already on a PPI.

tanieanie
on 11/20/12 9:52 am - WI

Hello,  I had this exact conversation with another person who was sleeved and she suggested I eat very very slowly,  I did and it really helped.   When I was eating what I thought was slow I went from hungry to OMG.  eating slowly I started to notice the sensation of satisfaction befor reaching the OMG stage.  Hope this helps.  Tanya

Keith L.
on 11/20/12 10:12 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am 7 weeks post op and I still cannot tell. The vets say you never really will. You know at this point you should be eating 1-2oz of food, so eat 1.75 then you know you are under eating your sleeve. Everything felt like hunger to me right after surgery. That went away some time after my 3rd week post-op. I was eating "until I was full" for the first couple weeks but more often than not I was eating one or two bites more than I should have and then I was in pain. The best way to do this is to measure what you eat.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

lillypie9
on 11/20/12 1:24 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

My NUT told me 2oz of protein and a tbl of veg/fruit (I have fruit at breakfast and with Greek yogurt or cottage cheese as a snack, veg with lunch and dinner) and a tbl of starch (which has been hummus or refried beans). I generally do not finish the starch. So I'm already eating way more than you do. Hmm...

rainyone
on 11/20/12 11:16 am - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12

I also have listened to my body for soft signals that I have had enough. If I feel like I need to burp, I put down the fork right away. I get that feeling right before feeling like I have taken one bite too many.  My nose often will start to run.  Again it's a signal that I've had enough. Hiccups are another sign people get.  If you are lucky you will have one of these BEFORE you've had enough.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

simmie78
on 11/20/12 8:49 pm
I eat too fast and don't stop soon enough and the burbing is unreal!!!!

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

TammySJ
on 11/21/12 2:51 am - Davenport, IA

It's different almost every time I eat.  But I agree that slowing down while eating is the best advice.  If you eat too fast you may miss some of the signals as they may be very slight for you right now.  Some other signals are "the sigh" or my nose starts to run.  If I eat too much my mouth starts to water excessively and I get like a frog in my throat that I have to constantly try to clear...an annoyance more than anything.  If I get to the burping stage...I've eaten wayyyy too much and I'm very uncomfortable.  Good luck to you in figuring out your triggers!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/21/12 6:21 am
VSG on 10/09/12
My stop signal is definitely the hiccups. It has been spot on so far and I have not felt uncomfortable. No burping or anything like that. Just a tiny hiccup and I am done. But its defi itely not a full feeling like before. Not sure if I am undereating my sleeve but definitely not overeating it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active