not sure what to eat

arob843_
on 12/27/12 3:17 am
VSG on 11/19/12
Okay so I'm 5 weeks out now and per my docs eating plan I'm on all normal foods now with his disclaimer of its all trial and error and yes I got sample food options from the nut. But I feel like a lost child without a plan at all. I still drink a protein shake in the morning to get that 30 gram protein start but when it comes to real food a lot of it makes me sick, I am eating microwave Bacon and reduced fat cheese, that's some stuff that doesn't come back up, and beans but in my head I know that stuff isn't healthy and I'm not a yougart fan, I read the whatacha eating everyday for tips, and I don't eat seafood, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks
shrinking_sarah
on 12/27/12 3:23 am - CA

The easiest suggestion I read was protein first, then produce.  Can you call your nutritionist and ask for a sample menu without seafood?

Introduce one new food a day, take small bites, and chew well.  I know you said you don't eat seafood, but could you manage a crab or tuna salad made with nonfat greek yogurt? 

I'm sure some vets on here can help. :)

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

frisco
on 12/27/12 3:24 am

Just keep it soft and wet...... Absolutely no Chicken in any form till you all good with every other protein.

Eggs are good.....

It's OK to extend your liquid phase.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MuttLover
on 12/27/12 3:47 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I'm curious -- why chicken last?  It's too late for me, since chicken (in a can, then smoked) was my first protein, then turkey (smoked) -- so they were so moist they practically disentigrated when I rubbed the meat between my fingers. I've had eggs, and a little shrimp.  Beef in the pressure cooker.  No pork yet.

Is is that chicken is usually too dry?  I'm still trying to get this right, so if I should back it up and focus on different proteins, I'll give it a shot!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

emelar
on 12/27/12 3:59 am - TX

It's just a question of tolerance.  If you can tolerate chicken, go for it!  It's a great source of protein.  For some folks, it's too dense or too dry in the early stages.  But then again, some people have trouble with eggs.  It's really just a matter of how you react. 

frisco
on 12/27/12 4:25 am

Chicken..... and specifically Chicken breast is about the most common protein people have tolerance issues with.

The problem is that it is very easy to fall into a trap..... like your doing.... your eating very processed chicken and chewing well. Processed meats in general  have most the connective tissue broken down which makes it easier to digest. 

Knowledge of your Pyloric Valve is important here..... for some reason (for most) Chicken really closes down the pyloric valve hard and fast. Now the further out you get.... you will be able to use this as an advantage.

The reason we are told to eat proteins first is to close down our pyloric valve so we eat less and have a longer duration of satiety.

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MuttLover
on 12/27/12 5:32 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks!  The canned chicken was only in the very beginning of soft foods, and since then, I moved on to "real" chicken.  The smoked meats are not deli meats, they are real turkey breast or chicken that are smoked (Texas BBQ style, low and slow) -- but they absolutely have practically all of connective tissue broken down. 

If I am understanding correctly, the canned meats (chicken, and tuna too?), as well as the smoked meats, are  sooo soft that they practically turn into liquids when chewed, and pass through the pyloric valve very quickly. 

So those made sense as "transition meats" as I moved out of purees and into soft foods.  As I move into  week 6 (week 5 was the beginning of full solids on my plan) --  I should be moving away from these softer proteins and toward the denser ones.

Is my interpretation correct?  My is a native Texan, so we go out for BBQ every couple of weeks. My choices there are smoked turkey (very soft), half a smoked chicken (a little firmer, but pretty soft and moist), and brisket.(the most dense, but also contains more fat).  And all are most excellent.  (Note -- none of these meats are cooked/served with sauces added).

Thanks!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

frisco
on 12/27/12 5:52 am

No.... I would say keep your proteins soft, wet and small portions under your capacity for several months.

The only real reason to firm up your proteins later on is to increase the duration of satiety to curb hunger.

***My BBQ guy here does a pan dripping "au jus" for me.

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

MuttLover
on 12/27/12 7:29 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Thanks!

pudgypants
on 12/27/12 10:15 am

Hi Muttlover....okay, I'm a true Texan and they ALWAYS baste the meat with bbq sauce while it's smoking/roasting. Are you sure about this??????

I am going to FIRE LANE BRYANT!!!     

VSG: 12/10/12  HW: 247   SW: 226   CW: 205.6  GW: 150 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views