Ok-So was this NOT so good an idea?

Miss150
on 1/5/13 11:49 am

Something tells me my menu idea wasn't such a good idea.  Here's what I did-  Thought I'd make some chicken vegetable soup. Lots of yummy chicken, carrots, green beans, celery, little onion, red pepper, and the chicken broth the chicken was cooked in.  YumYum, I thought till I put it in the bowl and realized I was looking at Solid food mixed up in Liquid!  So, tell me, those of you who know--Is this breaking the "don't drink while you eat" rule?  Is soup something we have to do without?  I ate the chicken and some of the veggies and left the broth in the bowl.  Ahh, we'll.....(sigh)

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

frisco
on 1/5/13 11:59 am

At 3 weeks out (if I'm doin the math right)

I would have done it in reverse...... I woulda had way more broth than chicken......

Chicken is about the last protein that should be attempted as it seems to be the hardest to tolerate for most.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Miss150
on 1/6/13 2:57 am

Thanks for the response.  I'm one of those people who try to make the goals set for me, and I have been trying to get more of my protein in solid foods (yes, my booklet says chicken is ok now if chewed very thouraly). And wean off dependence on the shakes so much.  But what you said mad me think that I should be listening to what my body is comfortable with and not push the progress so fast.  I'm relieved to think about slowing it down.  I think I'll just leave the  soup "stuff" to my husband and enjoy the broth instead for a while (it's th best part anyway).  This whole adventure is as much, if not more of a transformation of the mind as it is the body, isn't it?

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

novascotiadawn
on 1/5/13 12:03 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Same here!...I still have trouble with chicken if too dry!....I do remember doing chicken with broth and carrots and pureed it!

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

synthangel
on 1/5/13 2:28 pm - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

If the chicken and carrots were really mushy it was probably fine. I was able to tolerate chicken pretty fast. I even had stringy chicken during my soft food phase.

As far as the drinking while eating thing with soup... lol what I do is sip the broth a bit at first. Then wait for a while and eat some of the soup parts then no more broth after that. It works for me.

ALIFETOLIVE
on 1/5/13 8:36 pm
VSG on 12/12/12

My surgery was 12/12/12 also. It is probably best to eat the protein first and then the broth. So I think  what you've done is fine. But again everyone had different instruction from their NUT and doctor. But I find that eating chicken is still a challenge for me also. I tend to dry my chicken out and that makes it really difficult for me to eat it.

The program I'm on is really moving fast. Next week starts my Stage 5 (Regular Foods). I have a few friends that have been sleeved and they were not on regular foods until 12 weeks post op. at least. The good thing is so far I haven't had any real issues and the weight still seems to be falling off.

frisco
on 1/5/13 9:37 pm, edited 1/5/13 9:39 pm

On January 6, 2013 at 4:36 AM Pacific Time, ALIFETOLIVE wrote:

My surgery was 12/12/12 also. It is probably best to eat the protein first and then the broth. So I think  what you've done is fine. But again everyone had different instruction from their NUT and doctor. But I find that eating chicken is still a challenge for me also. I tend to dry my chicken out and that makes it really difficult for me to eat it.

The program I'm on is really moving fast. Next week starts my Stage 5 (Regular Foods). I have a few friends that have been sleeved and they were not on regular foods until 12 weeks post op. at least. The good thing is so far I haven't had any real issues and the weight still seems to be falling off.

It is probably best to eat the protein first and then the broth. So I think  what you've done is fine.

With all due respect..... this is completely the wrong thing to do at any stage post VSG and a VERY DANGEROUS thing to do at 3 weeks out. This would be a perfect way to put unwanted pressure on a fresh staple line during the healing period.

Study and learn about the function of the Pyloric Valve.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

ALIFETOLIVE
on 1/5/13 10:02 pm
VSG on 12/12/12

Study and learn about the function of the Pyloric Valve.....

Thanks for the guidance Frisco..

Shagdoll
on 1/5/13 9:24 pm
I'm 16 months out & posted about my experience with soup a couple months ago. It hurt my sleeve! Well, me trying to eat soup the way I normally would. Now I just try to sip the broth part first ( like I would to drink first) then eat the solids in the soup. It seems to work for me & I love soups in the winter. Try it and see if it works for you. Good luck!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

sleevegirl
on 1/5/13 9:54 pm - Austin, TX

Wow, they are advancing you fast... I had 2 weeks clear, 2 weeks full, 2 weeks pureed, then soft foods for like 3 months so it was six weeks before I would have even thought about unpureed soup.

Just be careful. There's no rush.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 73 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 273 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views