Does cooking kill your protein powder?

danixbanani
on 1/14/13 5:32 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

Hello all,

I'm trying to find the answer to this question and google isn't helping.  Does putting protein (let's say whey protein) into baked goods or other baked foods, kill the protein?  Trying to up my protein without shakes and I'd like to make some baked goods to do so.  Help, please!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

KnitsByMama
on 1/14/13 5:37 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I'm not totally sure on that, but I do know there is an unflavored protein powder JUST for baking!! It's called Any Whey. 

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Instantized-Protein-Pound/dp/B000GIUQOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358199441&sr=8-1&keywords=any+whey

danixbanani
on 1/15/13 12:56 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

wow, that's awesome!  Thanks for the tip!

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

rhearob
on 1/14/13 5:39 am - TN

Protein is not alive - you can't kill it.  The heat will not destroy it.

Cooking with protein can be a challenge.  Once you heat protein past a certain point it can curdle(think scrambled eggs).  You have to be careful to bring it to temperature slowly, as in baking.  Think of cooking with protein the way you would with eggs in making a custard or something similar.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

smashlee
on 1/14/13 6:09 am
VSG on 12/17/12
Oh that makes more sense. I knew that over 130 or so in a liquid it gets funky but I couldn't figure out how people were baking with it.
Thanks!
***Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away. - Anonymous

acbbrown
on 1/14/13 7:45 am - Granada Hills, CA

Generally, if you mix it with a cold substance before adding it to something hot, you are okay. I will mix protein powder with almond milk and pour that into my coffee as a substitute for creamer. Or recently, ive been mixing protein powder with liquid egg whites and making them into little pancakes and nothing weird happens.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views