Gym Times -- How to handle this...

ShootForTheMoon
on 3/11/13 6:56 am
VSG on 12/20/12 with

So, lately I've been really getting into the gym. I'm training for a 5k and also I've been working on strength training. Two days ago I got on the treadmill and actually RAN 5k for the first time (NSV!!!) which was a massive victory for me. Today I got to the gym, did about 15 minutes of fast paced walking to warm up and then started my run, feeling pretty darn good about myself. I had my earphones in and my music going and all of a sudden I see somebody on the treadmill next to me, just staring at me. I pop one earbud out and he starts telling me I should be only walking at a 2.0 pace and just doing a higher incline. I'm sure that's great and all, but I know that nothing gets my heart rate going like a good jog. Not to mention... I'm training for a real 5k. Pretty sure there's running involved.

Now, his reasoning was that it's better on my knees, and I know that running gets a bad rap when it comes to knees. I also know that when I run it's extremely low impact. I keep my feet close to the treadmill/ground and I'm careful not to do any hard core high impact running. Aside from that, all I can think about is the Biggest Loser and how there are people double my size that are running on there.

I honestly just had no idea how to handle it. I walked at a 2.0 and a 15 incline for about 2 more minutes then I just left because I felt kind of intimidated and put on the spot. I felt like he was looking at me, judging "Well, there's a big girl, she has no business running." I'm just not sure what to do about it next time I'm there. He's at the gym every day and I'm just not sure how to avoid him when what I'm really going there to do is to run.

I don't want to be rude and tell him to back off, and I know he's just trying to help but... I didn't ask for it. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to handle this guy are welcome!

Height: 5'8

noftessa0401
on 3/11/13 7:00 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

"Thanks, I'm good."  Then put your earpiece back in and run, run, run.

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

HilaryH8103
on 3/11/13 7:49 am - WA
LMAO!!! I like this idea. Put your ear piece in & run.

People at the gym usually do keep to themselves. How strange!!

You could say "Are you a certified trainer?" or "Do you work here?" Maybe that would've quieted him down.

I hate awkward moments like that.

Good Luck,
Hilary
shutterfly
on 3/11/13 7:08 am - vancouver, Canada
Nope. Don't listen to that jackass. I mean yes, if you have knee injury or if you're having pain but that's your call.
emelar
on 3/11/13 7:12 am - TX

I'm sure he's trying to be helpful.  Stick with your program and, if he says anything again, tell him you're on a training program, thank you.

I'm really kinda surprised.  My experience in the gym is that everyone is totally focused on themselves.  Sure he wasn't trying to hit on you?!?

acbbrown
on 3/11/13 7:59 am - Granada Hills, CA

Ive gotten a lot of stares and people who speak to me at all are generally pretty positive. This seems like an odd case. BUT

Do you. That's all. It's hard to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and especially in a gym - but just stay focused on, and on your goals. I'll tell you I was running (ok jogging) at 300 lbs and i didnt  disable myself or kill my knees any more than I had walking around at 420 lbs.

Dont worry about him or his comments. He is not your doc and probably not a doctor or any other kind of professional so screw his opinion about what you should/shouldn't do. Keep up the good work!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ShootForTheMoon
on 3/12/13 2:15 pm
VSG on 12/20/12 with

Just wanted to say thanks everyone for replying. I went back today and ran just like I always do, and completely ignored him. And he definitely wasn't just flirting, haha, I've seen him do it to so many other people to. It's pretty annoying to even watch. 

Height: 5'8

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views