Fruit question...for those eating low cal, low carb, high protein diets...

stephanieplum
on 5/6/13 12:17 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

How much do you incorporate during maintenance ?

frisco
on 5/6/13 12:38 pm
On May 6, 2013 at 7:17 PM Pacific Time, stephanieplum wrote:

How much do you incorporate during maintenance ?

Not much...... some frozen berries in smoothies, some slices in salads, a squeeze of lemon or orange in recipes. I use lemon and orange zest in lot's of things.

Maybe not the right choice, but I'd rather eat my sugar in restaurant foods that is in sauces and breading.

Elina has it spot on (wonder why) fruit as a food during WL may not be a great idea. Fruit as a condiment is easier to wiggle in the parameters.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 12:19 pm

My take on fruit is that it is best eaten as a condiment rather than as a meal.  I didn't eat much of it at all during the losing phase, but now I eat it once in a while, sometimes a bit of apple in salad, or with some cheese.  I never sit down to eat fruit as a meal.  

MuttLover
on 5/6/13 12:25 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I put some low glycemic berries on my yogurt sometimes.  Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries.  Just a few (count them or weight them to make sure you know how much!).  It's easy to want more!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

christib1975
on 5/6/13 12:47 pm - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Thanks all!!!

As much as I miss it...I don't want to jeopardize where I am or the success that I have had so fruit will be treated as an occasional, not a normal part of my diet...

HW: 324  CW: 201.4

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 12:57 pm

I love fruit and basically hate vegetables. So, it did sort of kill me to give up fruit for a while, but I did it. I went months and months without fruit. Once I was very close to goal I started to incorporate blueberries and strawberries back into my diet sort of like a garnish to my Greek yogurt. Even in maintenance I am very careful with my fruit intake. It can push my carb level too high - especially the tropical fruits. I have learned to accept vegetables and have found ways to enjoy them almost as much as fruit. Perhaps you could do the same????? Not sure your feelings on veggies.

If you want to try fruit, do so within the guidelines of your plan. See how it goes for you. I figured I could wait until I was done with the WL phase (or close to it).

Also, something I always remember is that while science has identified essential fats and essential amino acids (proteins), science has yet to name any essential carbohydrates. So I have to have the protein and the fats, but I will be fine if I skip the fruit and use it sparingly.

For what it's worth, that's how I look at it.

MuttLover
on 5/6/13 8:48 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

I think I'll frame this:

science has yet to name any essential carbohydrates.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/13 1:36 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
The only fruit I did during weight loss was raspberries because they are my favorite fruit. Luckily fruit has not been a trigger for me, I don't feel anymore hungry after eating it than before and in fact my 10 raspberries keep me feeling full for a fair amount of time. Now that I'm at goal I have added back in some strawberries. Its all about priorities and trade offs, some would rather eat other foods and have their sugar in their sauces but for me, I do like some fresh fruit and that would be my "treat". I should state eating fruit is not an everyday thing like my grilled chicken and spinach salad but more like once or twice a week which is kind of a waste because I can't finish all the raspberries in that time but my dog is a big raspberry lover so he gets the benefits of the left overs.
tina-b
on 5/6/13 10:26 pm - NC
VSG on 11/27/12

My take is that none of us got fat eating fruits and vegetables.  I eat fruit 3-4 times a week.  As long as I eat it slowly I don't have any problems.

HW: 235  SW: 216

Metime12.
on 5/7/13 12:46 am

I successfully avoided fruit until now! I just had knee replacement surgery about a month ago and a rather difficult recovery! I was diagnosed with anaemia a week after the surgery had to have a blood transfusion! I have a difficult time sleeping at night and spend the day feeling lethargic and dizzy! I developed a craving for fruit I started with oranges, just the taste made me feel satiated! Then because of my limited mobility I found bananas an easy meal so had a banana for breakfast! The good thing is I have a BM without resorting to the ****tail of laxatives that the poor nurses had to put together in hospital over the two w elks I was in sub acute rehab.! I know from reading these posts that I ought to slow down but boy did the good old taste of fruit make me feel good when I was/am so down from this life experience! By the way, I lost 10 pounds since the surgery:-))

These are the first days of the rest of my life. I feel like i have gone through a rebirth, with a second chance for a new life to live and a new me to treasure! I will remain on the losers bench for the rest of my  healthier life!         
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views