Fruit question...for those eating low cal, low carb, high protein diets...

christib1975
on 5/6/13 11:31 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

To fruit or not to fruit...that is the question...

I love and miss fruit, haven't introduced much because I just don't know how to fit it into my personal nutrition plan (600-800, 20gr carbs, 80+ protein) or if it will act as a trigger for me...

Do you stick with low glycemic fruits or do you allow yourself to eat all types within reason?

HW: 324  CW: 201.4

Keith L.
on 5/6/13 11:48 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

If you do, you need to eat the lower glycemic fruits like strawberries, blackberries, and cantaloupe. Here is a post from a while back I wrote about the lowest sugar fruits:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4606878/Lowest-Sugar-F ruits/

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

christib1975
on 5/6/13 11:54 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Thanks Keith...excellent post...

Stacy_312
on 5/6/13 5:20 pm - College Station, TX

Keith, thanks for re-posting your previous article!!  My husband and I was just talking and arguing about fruit today, as a matter of fact.  Your article really helped set the record straight.  We were very surprised to find out some of the sugar content on our most used fruit.  We had been bypassing the watermelon (even though I love it!!!) because we thought it was going to be the highest sugar content and was one of the lowest.  Also, we are pretty set on frozen peach slices because they are so refreshing and go down easy.  I was surprised to see them in the middle.  

With my current carb count, I am able to fit a small portion of fruit into my diet almost every day.  I just do it the once and keep the serving low, but now I will have to go back to the store and restock based upon your list.

Thanks again so much!

Keith L.
on 5/6/13 9:12 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
Just my 2 cents. I would not eat fruit every day, particularly frozen. The big benefit of eating fresh fruit is the enzymes you get from them. Those enzymes pretty much die when you freeze or heat the fruit. So if you are going to eat fruit get fresh. Secondly to everyone's point here fruit is a lot of sugar on a low carb diet. The idea is to get your body into a state of ketosis. That doesn't happen when you ingest sugars. I eat fruit once a week on my "high carb" day and I keep it to a minimum and I pick from the lower sugar options.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

SleevieWonder
on 5/6/13 11:50 am

Great question!!  So far I have only had a few berries here and there.  

To stay at 20 grams of carbs or under, you probably won't get to have much of any other fruit.  The carbs have absolutely been a trigger for me and I find that I feel hungrier and have more (carb) cravings for about 4 days following.  I suggest you save them for occasional treats if you'll really miss them.  Or maybe you can just have a small slice of a fruit so you get the flavor without too highly increasing your carbs for the day.  (I used to love a few frozen grapes...they never freeze completely solid and you can cut them in half (or quarters) and eat them slowly as they sort of slowly melt in your mouth.)

Everyone is different!  See what your own doctor/nutritionist recommends.

christib1975
on 5/6/13 11:56 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

Awww...frozen grapes...that sounds heavenly...

shess1025
on 5/6/13 11:54 am - Novato, CA
I love fruit as well. I have a similar plan as you and I often work in 1/4 of an apple....or a couple of strawberries....some watermelon. Doesn't trigger a fruit frenzy.

VSG on 3/13/13 with Dr. Gregg Jossart. HW: 364. SW: 287. GW: 150. CW: 190

christib1975
on 5/6/13 11:57 am - KS
VSG on 03/04/13

I think I will introduce some strawberries and cantaloupe...that just sounds so damn good...lol

frisco
on 5/6/13 12:07 pm

I'm not gonna say yah or nay......

My only tip would be to choose wisely.....

I didn't do much at all during WL

Fruit is a delivery system for sugar......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op