does your taste buds go back to normal again

Linybabes
on 6/30/13 1:14 pm - NY

does your taste buds go back to normal again

pineview01
on 6/30/13 1:17 pm - Davison, MI

Unfortunately mine have.  I liked better when everything tasted yuk!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

acbbrown
on 6/30/13 1:46 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Mine never changed really. Except Ive grown to like foods i previously hated - fish, shrimp, vegetables, etc. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Calking
on 6/30/13 3:06 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Based on the first two answers I am going to have to conclude that they may or may not.  Mine have not and I am 13 months post op.  

The two most pronounced things is that I can't drink bottled or any water that has minerals in it.  They nauseate me.  Also fish tastes fishier.  In both cases it is as if my tastes have been heightened.   The water was awful tasting the first day post op and remains awful.  I cannot drink much more than a sip without feeling sick.  I used to love tilapia as it was a mild tasting fish.  Post op it became fishier.  Even to the extent I could taste it's fishiness when covered with a lemon pepper sauce.  

I was going to say that it may yet change back but I have no idea.  I am really thinking that just as some people have acid reflux after surgery and not before, some people had a lot of pain post op and some not at all, some people loose weight faster than others doing basically the same thing, so I believe is the experience of tastes changing.  Some people claim they never changed, some say they changed back, some haven't had them change back.  

It really appears that you are on your own individual journey and shouldn't expect things to change one way or the other.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

laurak712
on 6/30/13 10:25 pm - New Braunfels, TX
Well, sort of, lol. I'm 4.5 years out and still have a very heightened sense of taste and smell. The first year was really hard cause everything tasted awful but it did get better. I still don't like water which I used to love and can't do much sugary stuff which is a good thing. Over all it's much better but not like before surgery.

Laura

Height 5' 7

summer24
on 7/1/13 3:17 am
On July 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM Pacific Time, laurak712 wrote:
Well, sort of, lol. I'm 4.5 years out and still have a very heightened sense of taste and smell. The first year was really hard cause everything tasted awful but it did get better. I still don't like water which I used to love and can't do much sugary stuff which is a good thing. Over all it's much better but not like before surgery.

Laura

This is me!  Although I'm doing better with water, it's not the same love affair that we had pre-surgery.  Sweets, although I do indulge in them more, can still make me sick if I have  too much sugar/fat combination.  As for the rest, all is good :)

happyteacher
on 7/1/13 12:11 am

Unfortunately.  Sugar is my demon, and early out everything was sickly sweet- helped a lot!  I couldn't eat cottage cheese for a while, and prior to surgery it was a staple.  It is no problem at all now.  Water was the one that took the longest.  I drank a ton of water preop, but postop I had a hard time with it unless I put additives in to give it a little acid.  Now, no problem. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

reesie_s
on 7/1/13 3:31 am - CA
VSG on 04/12/13

I certainly hope mine do not! I like to think the change is actually due to the carb detox. I HATE the taste of real sugar now, and I can't stand the taste of anything with white flour. I'd like to think that the memory of how bad these things taste now will carry me through and keep me from trying anything that I know is terrible for me.

HW 385 (09/2008)  Before Pre-Op Diet 328  SW 310  GW 150 

Pre-op diet (-18.2lb) M1 (-25.8lb) M2 (-14.4lb) M3 (-12.2lb) M4 (-14.8lb) M5 (-12.8lb) M6 (-16.6lb) M7 (-14.3lb) M8 (-5.4lb)

Add me on MFP http://www.myfitnesspal.com/biogeektls

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views