This just doesn't make mathmatical sense!! 20 days out! Anyone else?

cappy11448
on 8/6/13 3:13 am

Hi,

the first weeks after surgery, our bodies are making a lot of changes and the weight doesn't correlate day to day with the fat being burned. If you look at the big picture, you lost 13 pounds in 4 weeks.  That's almost  a half a pound per day.  I suspect you will see a good drop in weight soon. 

It is so hard to keep perspective on the weight loss when we are so centered around the surgery and weight loss.  For me, I had to trust I was losing about 1/2 pound a day in fat, regardless of what the scale showed.  The number on the scale is affected by many things other than fat loss. 

It sounds like you are doing everything right, and you will see the results you deserve.  Hang in there, and don't let the day-to-day numbers get you down.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Mommydoo
on 8/6/13 3:19 am - OR

Thank you Carol!

edelu
on 8/6/13 3:15 am - los angeles, CA

I lost 6lbs in the first 6 weeks despite being able to eat maybe 400 cals.  Your body will do what it will do, you're only control will be doing the right thing by your plan.  Body trauma after surgery can retard progress but it will all rebound.  Time is all.  You just keep following your plan.

And FYI you are never going to find mathematical sense in this journey, so might as well give up looking for it now or you will truly lose your mind,

Cheers.

Mommydoo
on 8/6/13 3:18 am - OR

Thank you :)

movis
on 8/6/13 3:26 am
VSG on 07/16/13

I failed to comment earlier that I had to go through my closet and swap out my size 26/28 shirts with 22/24 and replace size 30 pants with size 26. Unfortunately, I did not take measurements until this week. So all in all, I am quite pleased with results so far. 

great.lakes.girl.
on 8/6/13 3:38 am
be patient your body is healing . I don't know about others but my doctor often tells me my body kicks into starvation mode due to how few calories I take in. I don't losing anything and then all of a sudden I will just lose like crazy theon completely stop again.

best wishes
rhearob
on 8/6/13 4:09 am - TN

Take a deep breath and give yourself some time.  

It sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to be.  Get as much water as you can.  Water is the fuel for all of the processes that break down and flush fat from our systems.  64 ounces is only a minimum.  You should be drinking half your weight in pounds in ounces of water daily.  

Also, look up previous posts about stalls.  At 20 days you are on schedule for the famous 3 week stall.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Jackie T.
on 8/6/13 4:26 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Hang in there!  It sounds like you are doing everything right.  Just make sure you are drinking as much fluid as you can because if you don't it can have the opposite effect and you can retain water.  Don't pu**** too much with exercise, especially if you are having some pain.  Now you may still have some uncomfortable feelings but it should not be painful or sharp for the most part.  I couldn't do any lifting or twisting for the first 6-8 weeks.  When i did start doing some of that, I could feel it the next day so make sure when you are released that you take it slow.  Unfortunately, I would like to tell you that you will not go more periods of time without losing but that would not be true.  Every time I lose 3-5 lbs rapidly, my body stops for a few days and then it loses again.  I did have a month where things did not change hardly at all but the inches were coming off.  If you haven't take your measurements then you need to do this.  If the scale is going to upset you, then put it away and don't weigh more than once a week or once a month.  If you follow your doctor's plan, the weight will start coming off.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

TruemansMom
on 8/6/13 4:52 am
VSG on 06/24/13

The way it was it was explained to me by my nut (approximately, as I am not great at the technical stuff): pre-surgery we do a liver shrink. That removes both water and glycogen from the liver so the doc can move the dang thing out of their way to get to what they need to. Post surgery your body rebuilds the glycogen stores as they are your emergency fuel and much needed. The result is a stall in the scale but not fat loss. My stall lasted about week 3 and that was all.

focusing on something like fit of clothes or measurements helps to keep from freaking out about the scale not moving!

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Anne64
on 8/6/13 5:10 am, edited 8/6/13 5:11 am
VSG on 06/19/13

I feel qualified to say this since I had a minor ...ok, a major melt down about the lack of speedy loss a couple weeks ago.

(These are way easier said than done)

1. DO NOT focus on the scale.

2. FOCUS on your plan and your victory in  staying on plan. 

3. STAYING on plan at this point IS the win.

4.  EXERCISE....but....

Exercise is essential to keep you from eating away at your muscle mass and for preparing yourself to maintain your hard won losses.  HOWEVER, in general at this point, exercise is not a major weight loss tool.  For example, if a 250 lb person runs a 12 minute mile (ummm, good luck with that)  that person will probably burn about 183 calories.  So, to lose one pound you need to run NINETEEN 12 minute miles.

I promise that if you do the above four things, within the next few weeks you will start seeing a downward hill on your MyFitnessPal tracker.

Anne

HW: 260 SW:233  CW: 159 Pre-surgery loss -27 Month One: -16.5. Month Two: -14.5 Month Three: -14 Month Four: -8  Month Five: -8  Months 6 - 9 total: 17

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 241 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views