I MISS COFFEE!

Heather_Austin
on 9/11/13 9:05 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I went in for my 2-week post op appointment with the NUT today to discuss the next phase of my diet and asked her when I could add in 1-cup of coffee a day.  I was hoping to start this 21-days after surgery.   Prior to surgery she assured me there was a point that I could do this.  I asked her about it today and she told me that she would prefer if I would wait  longer.  I used to drink 4-6 Diet Cokes and 2-3 cups of coffee a day, which I slowly weaned down to 1 Diet Coke + 1 cup Black coffee per day before surgery.   I understand about the Diet Coke but I really need a little caffeine boost in the morning.

So I offered to limit it to 6 oz black coffee and told her I'd add an additional 16oz water to the 64 oz I already drink and she said only if I must.

I'm hoping for advice from you guys! 

Heather - Austin, TX

patty_B
on 9/11/13 9:10 am
I'm 16 weeks out and I still can't get one full cup down yet!
Scott S.
on 9/11/13 9:32 am - TX
Coffee is a tough one, but it sounds like you all worked out a good solution.

I was 4-6 cups a day and haven't had a cup in 5 weeks. I don't miss it, although my NUT said one cup was fine after week 2. One thing that has has helped for the occasional bump is iced tea. Wowzer!

If you asked me 6 weeks ago if I would survive without coffee, I would have told you no way. But so far so good!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Bufflehead
on 9/11/13 9:56 am, edited 9/11/13 9:57 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Not sure why your nutritionist doesn't want you drinking coffee -- some say don't do it because it dehydrates you (total myth btw -- multiple scientific, published, peer-reviewed studies prove this) and some say don't do it because coffee is acidic and can damage your small, healing stomach.

I used to drink a couple of large cups of black coffee every morning, which I gave up pre-surgery.

I started having a protein iced coffee every morning at about eight weeks out. Here's how I make mine:

1 scoop Chike Protein Coffee (a standard serving of this powder is 2 scoops, but I find that is too high in calories and carbs)

1 tsp instant coffee

1 cup Hood calorie countdown nonfat milk

Dump them all together and blend with my immersion blender.

This satisfies my longing for coffee taste and caffeine, and I have had no stomach pain or acid issues with it.  I do hope to go back to my hot, black coffee some day, but I'm going to wait until I'm six months out to try it.

Heather_Austin
on 9/11/13 4:57 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I wrote down your recipe and am going to try this tomorrow!  I have Nectar coffee and Bariatric Advantage coffee flavor proteins.  I am going to check out Chike.  I think for tomorrow I'm going to do you recipe as modified:

- Coffee protein power - Syntax Nectar brand (100 cal - 23 gram protein)

- Lactaid skim milk, 1 cup

- 1 serving espereso (home made so I can watch the caffeine). 

- Blend with ice.

Heather - Austin, TX

Deckeriv
on 9/11/13 11:04 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I totally stopped pre-op and was faithful post-op about a month. Then I was fighting constipation. I now drink two cups in the morning to wake up and get my bowels moving and go on down the road. I don't think coffee is that big of a deal, unless you over do it...which you can say about just about anything.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Kimbaru
on 9/11/13 11:04 am - WA

Everyone's programs are different.  I live in coffee land ( the Pacific Northwest ).  The surgical nurse gave me a cup of black coffee the morning after my surgery.  She said it was a clear liquid, after all. 

Kim

cappy11448
on 9/11/13 12:20 pm

I added coffee back as soon as my program allowed it.  I think it was 3 weeks out.  If I drank decaf, I could include it in my liquids for the day.   Caffeinated coffee did not count in my fluids, so I am sticking to decaf.  I also use half-and-half in my coffee but I'm willing to take the hit in calories as coffee is important to me.

At first, I drank only a fraction of a cup, and now at 4 months out, I drink 2 cups a day.

Good luck with your post-op diet.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

DeveraE
on 9/11/13 2:55 pm, edited 9/11/13 3:06 pm - WA
VSG on 07/29/13 with

When I saw my surgeon 4 days post op to have my drain removed I complained of a headache and he said if I was a coffee drinker, that going without was probably the reason and said to resume.  I stopped at Starbucks on the way home!  No more headache and I have a couple cups every morning.  (I am also from coffee land)

Reading these posts, isn't it amazing how different the instructions are!  

Heather_Austin
on 9/11/13 4:32 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I actually tried a cup of coffee accidentally 2-days post-op since it was on my clear liquids sheet and was on too much pain medication to know the difference when my husband gave it to me and had no issues.  I've always drank my coffee black.

My NUT doesn't want me to have the coffee since it's a diuretic. However, I agree that I need it to get me going AND my system going.  This is why I offered to extra water to my NUT to make up for it since her only reason for it was that it was a diruretic.  She wanted me to drink decaf but that defeats the purpose.  I only used to drink decaf after a 5-course meal on a cruise ship at 11PM.  Mostly, I want the caffeine!  I have researched a little about the acid.  I'll have to check into that more.

I've bought the whey protein cappaccino flavor hoping that would satisfy the need for coffee and it does not.  I've tried adding MIO Energy to my water (I already know what my NUT would say about that but I wanted to experiment- I'm an Engineer after all) and that doesn't quit cut it either.   I think I'm just a pacific northwestern at heart and just really want real caffeine laden coffee!

Thanks again for all of your suggestions, I'm going to make myself a small coffee tomorrow morning after I have a protein shake and see how it goes.  I'll add in the extra water.

Heather - Austin, TX

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 259 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views