Is it true...?

Whitneya1121
on 9/21/13 10:34 am - Tangent, OR
VSG on 09/09/13
Can we really have gluten free bread and pasta? Once we get all our protein of course.

mkvand
on 9/21/13 10:48 am
VSG on 01/06/14 with

You can, but you probably shouldn't.  After getting in your protein, you should go for veggies, and after that, you're unlikely to have room for pasta and bread.

Sonya139
on 9/22/13 9:33 am - VA
On September 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM Pacific Time, mkvand wrote:

You can, but you probably shouldn't.  After getting in your protein, you should go for veggies, and after that, you're unlikely to have room for pasta and bread.

I totally agree.

acbbrown
on 9/21/13 10:57 am - Granada Hills, CA

Gluten free bread and pasta is still....bread and pasta. Theres nothing in there that's good for you. 

Once you reach goal and maintenance, if you decide that the best way for you to maintain is to include those things but live a gluten free life - then give it a shot and it might work for you. Everyone is different though - gluten might be the issue for some, just the carbs in general for others. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Whitneya1121
on 9/21/13 10:58 am - Tangent, OR
VSG on 09/09/13
Ya I'm not thinking on a normal basis. More as a nice treat. Pasta was my weakness. It's just nice to know it is an option. Kinda like when you are a kid and told no you can't do this, it's all you think about. But once it becomes an option again it's less appealing. My logic is strange I know.

acbbrown
on 9/21/13 11:26 am - Granada Hills, CA

I have a suggestion - get some pasta, cook it, put in a bowl, dont put anything on it, and eat it. Pretty BLAH right ??

For me anyways, pasta and rice really have no taste. They are usually a support for a sauce or something (which is what we REALLY are wanting) - so find alternatives. Spaghetti squash, zuchinni noodles - great healthy alternatives for a true life style change.  Over the last couple years - ive made a pretty good meat sauce (ground beef, tomato sauce, spices, etc) and I eat it just like that or over the veggie noodles. I make sloppy joe sauce with meat and eat it as a meal by itself - nothing wrong with that and you are getting the taste that you want. 

This is probably something that maybe we all just have to live and learn but if I could just tell you - dont even touch the pastas. If you know those are a weakness, kick them out of your diet and do not let them back in. Once you say, it's a special occassion, im going to try it, you will find more excuses to keep having it  until it becomes a regular part of your diet again (and yes, I was one of those who said it would never happen to me). 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

mmmesser
on 9/21/13 12:49 pm

This makes really good sense.  I concur.  I am buying some zucchini tomorrow to make as a 'pasta' based piece to some ground turkey and sauce with cheese. I am so excited (I'm finally off the 'stages' since being post-op) to be introducing these great, healthy choices into my daily options.  It's funny how excited you can be to just get a vegetable and protein.  Also, I have done the South Beach diet before (lost 80 lbs. then but of course, gained it back) and did the spaghetti squash...and I actually prefer it over traditional pasta so can't wait to re-introduce that too!  I also can't wait to eat a salad...I love salads and haven't been able to eat any until now.  Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that there are a LOT of choices as alternates and you have pointed out some good ones!  Thanks for reminding me!

mickeymantle
on 9/21/13 3:01 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

probably best to wait till your on maintance to eat a small amount of bread, now you need to work on protein and when you get enough protein then low carb veggies , then some lower carb fruit ,

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Nancybefree
on 9/21/13 7:38 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

If pasta was your weakness, I would advise by all means to avoid it completely during your active weight loss phase.  Once you reach maintenance I suppose you could try a small amount, but why risk it?  If it's a serious trigger food for you you could be tempted to eat more of it than you should or to eat pasta instead of those vital dense, lean proteins and vegs/fruit.  It could perhaps lead to other trigger food floodgates opening up again. 

Pasta was one of my major trigger foods preop, so I won't touch it now.  I don't want to be one of those people who has to summon up the courage to report back on these boards years out that I've undone everything my surgeon and I have both worked for so I could reclaim my health and live in a normal-size body.  To me it's just not worth it to throw some cooked flour and water into my mouth and risk losing all of what I enjoy now.  I'm not even at goal yet, but already I'm tasting that sweet life of breaking out of the prison of fat I had built around myself precisely through eating things like pasta.

Breads are another trigger food for me, so I've stayed away from those as well in my postop eating.  Besides, I don't want to risk the pain and digestive issues that many people report when trying to eat bread. 

Just something to think about.   Everyone has that choice to make, and some regret it, based on things I've read on just this board alone.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Nmmsg
on 9/21/13 9:45 pm
VSG on 07/09/13
My program included carbs when I finally got to a modified regular diet. Truly, there is not alot of room once I have protein and some vegetables or fruit. I am not that interested in them since so few since my VSG. Why look for trouble? We didn't get fat on lean protein and vegetables.

I feel so much healthier and well- did those carbs really work for me? Probably not. If I want something , I'll try a small amount but it will not be in my daily diet. I think part of all this is learning and accepting our healthier choices as part of our new everyday. Hey , I am human - a few weeks ago I had a good size chocolate chip cookie- went down fine , no problem. I was so tired after it,I could hardly function- no thanks to that again. We are works in progress.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views