How can I determine realistic "goal" weight?

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:12 am

Ambrosia79,  thanks for posting this!  I'm hoping that this thread will help others too!!  

Congrats on the beginning of your new journey!!  I wish you the best of good health and successes!!  Keep checking in here!  It's very valuable.  I found that I needed it a lot in the beginning and then less and less and now, all of a sudden, I'm really feeling I need the support and "love" again!

Take care!!

grayC
on 2/8/14 6:29 am
VSG on 05/01/13

C'mon  Sleevie you got this...

I am 5'6 and 154 put me at a  normal BMI, so you totally got this!

you can get to a normal BMI no prob!!!

my Dr also didn't give me a goal weight I pulled one out of the air for myself...

at first I was just going to stop at 150 b/c I remember being at that weight and being "thin" but of course as a teenager thinking I was 2 Ton Tessie....

so I made my goal weight 130 which would but me in the middle of normal BMI to have some "wiggle" room and still be at a normal BMI...I'm not going to lie..these last 10 lbs are fighting me to get off..maybe it'll happen maybe it won't..

but don't sell yourself short...you can get to a normal BMI...

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:16 am

GrayC,

Thank you so much for being such a great cheer-leader!!  I had NO IDEA I've "got this" and am soooo excited to hear this that I'm about to float away!!!  There really is a LIGHT at the end of this tunnel!!!!  OMG!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!  :)

Best wishes for continued successes for you too!!  Lemme know if you need a cheerleader anytime!

The_True_KayD
on 2/8/14 6:34 am

My first major goal weight is 150. I am 5'2" and I have been comfortable at that weight before. Once I reach that weight I will see how I feel and set another goal. I dont think we have to set one goal weight and that is it. I may be overweight at 150 but I have a bit more muscle mass on my body. I will see how it is and take it from there! 

HW: 249  SW: 233  VSG: Dec 3, 2013    

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:18 am

How did you come up with your first major goal weight?  Was it just cuz you were comfortable there before?  How long ago was that?

Yes, it does feel like a "weight" and see how I feel at each stage!  Muscles?  I don't know if I have any.  I feel like a bone-less chicken!!  :)

Best!!

DesertRose
on 2/8/14 7:12 am
VSG on 01/08/14

I set my goal weight on my tickers based on the last weight I was happy at.  I'm kind of ignoring the BMI, to be honest.  It doesn't account for variances of build or muscle mass, and I've NEVER been in the supposed "healthy" range by BMI standards, but I was happy with my body when I weighed 165ish, so I've set my initial goal weight as 175, at which point I'll see how I look and feel.

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:20 am

I never thought about the fact that the BMI doesn't account for those variances... I guess I just figured that was in the "range" of numbers, but you make a very good point!

Thanks for the "food" for thought!!  :)

Best wishes!!

Kathy8429
on 2/8/14 7:58 am

I know lots of fit people that have a bmi above 25. Something about bmi not taking into account muscle mass. For me the last time I was thin and fit I weight between 155-160, wore a size 8 or 10. In high school I was between 115-120. After children I was 142 wore between a size 4-6 and thought I was a giant. 

I just pulled 145 out of the sky. The nutritionist at my surgeons office said 165-170 which I thought was nuts. For me personally this has not a lot to do with a number on the scale but being at a stable weight and healthy. If I weighed 160 and was muscular id be over the moon

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:24 am

I just get chills seeing people only 20lbs or fewer from their goals!!!  I've always assumed that the number was based on "healthy" but not sure how that was determined!  I know that I'm now 50 years old and thinking that I was happy and felt good about myself at 135-145 lbs is like saying I want to be 26 again too!!  Not sure what is realistic and what's nuts!!

Thanks for sharing!  Glad I'm not alone in this!!

Best wishes for you to reach your 160 and be over the moon!!  :)

cappy11448
on 2/8/14 8:07 am

My surgeon never talked about goal weight, and it hasn't been a big concern for me, but I had and still have a lot of weight to lose.  I'm thinking that I'm going to use the size of my waiste as my guide.  I'll keep losing until I feel like I'm where I want to be, or I'll just stop losing, and I'll be grateful that I'm no where near 385 pounds any longer.  I'm still a good 30 pounds from needing to concern myself with this. 

Congratulations on your success losing over 90 pounds.  Great job.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views