How can I determine realistic "goal" weight?

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:27 am

Thanks Carol!!  Waist size makes sense too!  It never even occured to me, but that's cuz I keep the tape measure as far as possible from my body!!  I shouldn't have done that as it probably would have helped me through all the stalls and plateaus!!  Live and learn!!

Best wishes for success to reach your own goals too!!

VSG on 06/12/13

I found my hydrostatic test results to be valuable in helping figure this out. Based on those results a month ago, I was 2.2 lbs away from "optimum health" body fat percentage of ~23%. Any lower BF% is cosmetic. Doc wants me at 20% or less, which was 158. I wanted a little wiggle room so I set my new goal at 155.

based only on BMI and EBW my docs goal for me was 160. My personal goal was 150 but I realize now that is too low. 155 may be too low as well if I continue to build muscle and lose fat. Test admin was amazed doc got my goal so close.

jubjub has written a lot on this topic- look him up!

love your handle btw!

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

carrie054
on 2/8/14 2:43 pm

Yes OP, if you did a body fat percentage test before your surgery, that would be really helpful in determining an appropriate goal.  I'm 5'7" too and I found out in my bod pod results that the "non-fat" parts of my body were 126 lbs.  I could then extrapolate to get my own goal of 164 lbs. 

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:28 am

Maybe I'll borrow your goals!!  How do you find someone to give you the "bod pod" test or hydro static or any of these?  I never even knew they existed!!  does insurance pay for them this far out??

:)  Thanks!!!!

carrie054
on 2/9/14 6:16 am

I was very lucky and the bod pod was a part of my pre-op checklist.  As a military dependent I have access to the health and wellness center on base which is a great tool.  My referral was for one assessment pre-op and at least one post-op (IDK when though as I'm still just 2 weeks out).

A lot of gyms offer these tools too, but you may have to pay for it.  Hopefully your insurance would cover it. 

Good luck!

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:33 am

I never heard of a hydrostatic test!  Can they do this without having a previous reading to compare it to (done earlier)?  WEre you surprised you were 2.2 lbs away??  I would be completely shocked I think!!  I still have a "fat" vision of what I look like (which I've heard is not uncommon and called body dismorphia)

I'll have to ask about these tests when I next see my doc.  Time to schedule a one-year visit.  I just can't belive it's been that long already!!!

Thanks!!!!  :)

Annie1022
on 2/8/14 6:44 pm

I decided my goal weight to be 159 because I want to be 1lb less than my husband, unfortunately he is now 156.haha just once in our 34years I want to be less than him! 

grayC
on 2/8/14 9:59 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

Funny you say that, right nowim fighting for 139 so I can weigh less than the DOG!!

NO JOKE!!!

Annie1022
on 2/8/14 10:08 pm

I guess my cats weight would be pushing it!

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 3:58 am

OMG you guys are really hilarious!!  I am truly lol-ing and I needed that!!  Thanks!!!  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 385 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 418 views