How can I determine realistic "goal" weight?

SleevieWonder
on 2/8/14 4:04 am

I had my surgery nearly 1 year ago (OMG & WOW!!  Feb 19, 2013).  My very-laid-back-general-surgeon doesn't believe in goal-weights, just in being healthy.  SO...I have simply been trying to get my BMI into the "NORMAL" range, but don't know if that is realistic for me.  To date I have lost about 90+ lbs. and also wonder if that is about average for the amount of time since surgery.  I'm 5'7" and started at about 268-ish (wasn't actually weighed before surgery) and am now about 177 (my scale sucks - I weigh a different amt depending where I stand on it and how I lean...).  Of COURSE, I feel and look better, and will continue to do my best to take care of my eating, but is there an official way to determine a realistic goal?  Thanks!!!  :)

happyteacher
on 2/8/14 4:33 am

Personally, I think it depends on the user.  For me, my goal was driven by my desire to pull myself out of a bad health situation, regain mobility and in general zest for life, and to generally look and feel great.  The health part of my goals translated into getting my weight into a normal bmi range, which in turn made me more active, mobile, and once again doing activities that I love instead of sitting on the sidelines.  

So, make a list of your goals.  Don't be afraid to set the goals you REALLY want, not just something that you think you can probably attain.  Go after it!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:02 am

hmmmmm, Goals?  My OWN??  I haven't really thought about that since before children (who are now nearly 17 & 20)!! It's about time!! Great idea!  :)

Scribbler
on 2/8/14 4:40 am

My surgeon never gave me a goal weight either! He just said he wanted to see me at "a healthy weight" and "eating a healthy diet without any junk food"! What the HECK does that mean!!! He REFUSED to give me numbers. I suppose it would be enough for me to get to a "normal" BMI.

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:04 am

I know how confusing it feels... I suppose that's why we are on this board -- and why the board exists and is successful!!  Great to share info and support!!  Hope this thread helps you too (and many others!!)!

Best!!

GingerJen
on 2/8/14 5:14 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Search bmi and weight goal calculator on here. It's fun to play around with. Your "ideal weight" is 147..and 70% of excess weight loss is expected with vsg. That would be 85 pounds lost for you-so you've exceeded the expectation at one year. Of course you can go further. The last time I lost weight I was really in a great spot at 175. I tried to push and push to get lower but that was too thin and hard on my body do I wish I had just been happy there! Then I wouldn't have gained 150 pounds in 5 years!!! I'm 5'8. It's so individual. 

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 current 310 goal 170

37 y/o female 5'8" HW 355 consult 329 SW (3/7/2014)301 CW 168 goal 170

M1- 26 M2- 14 M3- 15 M4 -13 M5 -16 M6-12 M7-2 M8-5 M9-6 M10-8 M11-1 M12-5  M13-10 Goal reached 4/5/15 total lost 187 lbs total; 133 in the 13 months since surgery

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:07 am

Thank you for all the great math!!  Yes, it is fun to play with the bmi calculators (never knew there even was a weight goal calculator!) but I didn't really understand what to do with the numbers once I found them. 

Hope you have an easy journey getting to your goals too!!  

:)

Jackie T.
on 2/8/14 5:43 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

My surgeon's goal or laid back approach was 60-80% of my excess weight.  I blew through that and new I would not be happy there.  I told my pcp that I wanted to get to 154 which was my health bmi but she feels that is too low and that 165 would be better.  I am between 160-165 and have not been able to push myself to go further.  My body seems happy right where it is and I have not tried to pu**** to get lower.  I am not sure if I am done or not but I am maintaining here no problems and might just be happy staying here. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

SleevieWonder
on 2/9/14 4:10 am

Jackie,

Thanks for the info!  I think I can only DREAM of blowing through my weight goals!!  Congratulations for such great success!!  Wishing you the best!!  :)

ambrosia79
on 2/8/14 6:20 am - PA

I struggle with this question, too. I really want to be able to say I have a healty BMI, which would be 150 or lower for me. I have always considered myself to have a larger than normal build, and when I was 21 I was 170 and felt great.  But, it still wasn't a "healthy" BMI.  That's my ultimate goal.  If I get to 170, I will reevaluate and decide if it's realistic to lose 20 more pounds.  Right now I'm only 10 days post-op.  I did read about a calculation somewhere that helps to determine an ideal weight for someone who has been obese for many years.  It's a slightly higher weight because bone and muscle structure can change after years of obesity.  Don't know how accurate that is, but if I can find it, I'll repost.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 201 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 283 views