Removing Band to get sleeve, I am scared I won't be able to controll the weight

philly2dc
on 10/8/14 11:52 pm

So I have had the band for 7 years and it was great, my band slipped after having my first baby and just haven't been the same since. So my doctor is suggesting I just remove it and get the sleeve, of course with the band I can controll my weight gain and loss but with the sleeve I know I can't. I love my curves and I don't want to be too darn small. I am just too scared of being really small I guess.

acbbrown
on 10/9/14 12:27 am - Granada Hills, CA

I totally understand your concern - if I could will my body to have certain proportions, I would. But you have to look at the big picture that this is about health and saving out life and improving the quality of life. Once you're within a healthy weight range, I think you can definitely control your weight within a certain range. Whatever you want to do - it's up to you based on your priorities though. I personally would opt to lose some curves to be a normal BMI but that's me. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Zee Starrlite
on 10/9/14 2:24 am, edited 10/9/14 2:25 am

You will have to work like hell to lose and maintain the weight loss with a sleeve stomach.  You can eat everything with your stomach sleeved unlike the band.  The band helped me stay away from carbs NOW I am able to eat them and anything else without any issues whatsoever.  The band also helped me fear choking when I layed down - so I stopped eating very, very early (I am a night eater and with my sleeve can eat to the moment I fall asleep if I choose and the food will digest and not come up).  I was afraid to eat with the band.  I think the sleeved stomach and the band are 2 totally different animals.  It has been harder for me to lose sleeved but I love being normal so much better.  I never lost to my low like with the band.  With my sleeve my lowest was -42 and that was when I was only eating to keep nutrition when my Mom was passing.  I have no physical hunger but I do love food and I am able to eat so I do.

Getting too small - oh man, this will not happen like magic, it will take lots of effort on your part.  I assure you you won't just melt away.  If you don't have a super small sleeve you will have to really just diet after awhile when your stomach naturally begins to mature and gain capacity.  I never had a tight sleeve and I am so glad as I have absolutely no issues with reflux and such.  I just have to work at my food choices and exercise to see actually see results - I am just like any other normal person without WLS.

All best on your new journey.  I love my sleeved stomach!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active