self pay

caty
on 11/23/14 8:50 am

My insurance won't cover this procedure so I am going to the Bariatrics Center of Kansa City. I am scheduled for surgery on 1-12-15. I am self pay would like to know if anyone has done this before. I'm nervous about the whole thing. 

jenn1469
on 11/23/14 9:17 am

You can get done in Mexico from 3500-5000 

Jennifer

Noragretz
on 11/23/14 10:11 am, edited 11/23/14 10:12 am
VSG on 09/05/14

I'm in the same boat, my insurance excludes any bariatric weight-loss clinics or procedures. I chose to self-pay also. The nice part is that you don't have to deal with the insurance hoops, and you can schedule your surgery much sooner than had you done it through insurance. I chose to stay in the United States also, yes you pay more, but it is a personal decision. I had mine done in Las Vegas, which is about five hours away. They do it outpatient there, so it cost a little less than if I would've stayed in state and had it done at the hospital. My cost was $10,400. Good luck to you, I don't regret it. 

Outpatient VSG 9/5/14

with Dr. Umbach  in Henderson NV

caty
on 11/24/14 1:42 am

Thank you for your response. I'm a having second thoughts I am scheduled for surgery on Jan 12 2015 and im sure it's natural to have these feeling of second guessing myself. My cost is $11900. That's a lot of money and I don't want to regret it. I'm am 50 years old with and at 280lbs. 

Noragretz
on 11/24/14 9:52 am
VSG on 09/05/14

I think second thoughts are pretty common. I tried to keep the amount in perspective. I understand everyone's finances are different. But I paid $35k (after taxes) for my last car. And if you were going to buy a new cheaper car... How much would that cost you? More than this surgery for sure! So I keep telling myself I'm buying a car. I can have it paid off in 5 years, but I'm shooting for 3 years. I'm very fortunate that I invested into myself as a young single mom with college and I do earn a decent income. Unfortunately that comes with crappy benefits, so I'm again investing into myself so I can continue to do my job, as being overweight makes it much harder.  You're still living and should have decades ahead of you. Being overweight as you age will come with a number of health problems that can make your golden years more miserable and shorten your life. You are still investing in yourself and your future! 😘

Outpatient VSG 9/5/14

with Dr. Umbach  in Henderson NV

PrayMore
on 11/23/14 10:44 am

Many people are self-pay! I bet you can find more than a few to share experiences with! I've read on this site about lots of good experiences with that route. I definitely considered it because my BMI was on the cusp!! Best wishes and good luck!  

5'6", VSG on Dec. 2

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 11/23/14 10:55 am
VSG on 01/11/16

Here is the  Insurance, Cash Pay and Financing forum link.

Good Luck!

sooz319
on 11/24/14 1:22 am
VSG on 10/20/14

Hi!  I did self-pay.  I thought of the Mexico option for the cost savings, but went with something local for quite a bit more cash.  I chose this option because the cost included a 2 year follow-up routine.  I meet with the doctor every 3 months, have more frequent visits with psych, NUT, and fitness.  I felt it was worth it in case my issues are with the brain, or learning how to eat differently, creating good fitness routines, etc.  Blood draws are also included to ensure that my vitamins, minerals, etc. are on track.  

For me, this was a better choice.  There are tons of great posts about experiences with Mexico as well.  Good luck!

VSG with Dr. Billing on 10/20/2014 @ Puget Sound Bariatrics Center
DOB 1968 Height 5'5" HW 224 (09/08/2014)  SW 212.5 (10/20/2014)

susan88
on 11/24/14 9:11 am
VSG on 08/08/14 with

I went the self-pay route in Mexico and have no regrets.  The decision was the the best thing I have ever done.  Do you have insurance but they won't cover WLS?  My insurance has covered the follow up lab work that I needed 100%.   My deductible was so high that the Mexico route was less than my deductible and has an added bonus that your out of pocket medical is tax deductible!

It is natural to be nervous.  This is a big decision but be assured that the results are so worth it.  I am curious if you would be nervous if insurance was covering this or are you nervous about the surgery itself?  If you are self-pay it is a financial commitment but you are in charge of the process.  It is much easier without all of the added requirements.  

Good luck in your decision.

Guarani
on 11/25/14 8:11 pm

Hi Caty,

I was sleeved 4 months ago at the same Center, and I was self pay also.  My age is a little more than yours but my weight was similar, and all I can say is that I am beyond thrilled with the results so far.  Everything went smoothly and I am very happy with my surgeon Dr. Hoehn, although my friend (also self pay) was sleeved by Dr. Hamilton and was very happy with him also.  We are both doing well and losing weight and inches and gaining in health all the time.  I just wish I'd done it sooner.

I've seen lots of posts for people who went to Mexico and had excellent results, but in my case, even though it's a LOT of money, it helped my husband to feel better about it knowing I was going to a Center of Excellence.   And, as someone mentioned, the cost is a lot less than a new car, and a whole new beginning for the rest of your life.

It's a very personal decision for each of us, but I will just say that I am very glad I decided to take the plunge.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views