Pre-Op: I think I like food more than being thinner...

Laura_S
on 3/5/15 1:48 pm
VSG on 03/17/15

I am on day four of my pre-op liquid diet and I am a bit hungry. However, I'm also thinking more about the long term. Much of my social life and daily enjoyment revolves around food. I don't know that being thinner is worth giving that up. I don't have a long history of "yo-yo" dieting and haven't really lost weight with much success prior to starting the pre-op process about a year ago. I'm 5'6", my HW is 254 and my current weight is 231 (after losing about 9 lb so far on the liquid diet). I'm 34. Part of me thinks that I haven't tried enough weight loss methods. Part of me thinks I won't lose weight unless I have surgery. And part of me thinks I'll miss the foods I like too much to make the restriction and weight loss worth it. Did you guys have these concerns and how did you solve them? Any of you not really have weight loss success before?

Thanks for any input!

Laura

Going2loseit2014
on 3/5/15 2:10 pm

Laura, Although  I have gained some back I lost over 100 lbs.

i am determined to loose what i have gained  " noting taste as good as thin feels " is so true . I tried several diets before I had my surgery in 2011 ...Funny I thought I'd miss the food too but how i feel when im on point is so much better :) Wishing you the best 

frisco
on 3/5/15 3:40 pm

To be honest, and I don't mean this as a slam in any way, your body, your life, your ultimate choice and decision.

It really sounds like you might not be ready????

The people that tend to do well at this are pretty much "all in". There are no automatics to the process, people muck it up everyday.

Now the good news, I can only speak for myself.... after losing the weight I enjoy social events much more because I'm not the fat one in the room wearing frumpy clothes afraid to eat in front of others.

I am more into food now more than I ever have been..... it's just changed to quality over quantity of better choices. I am totally not deprived of anything.

Wearing great clothes, socializing and eating great food..... win win win !!!!

Bottom line..... be ready to do it and give it your best effort. This is a life long commitment to a better, healthier, longer life !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 4:41 pm

frisco,

I love the Cafe Frisco's recipes. Great information too!

iloveravens
on 3/5/15 11:06 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

Exactly what Frisco said!!!  Social events are SO much more enjoyable when you don't feel so self-conscious and hate how you feel and look.  I still enjoy food, I just enjoy it differently, on a much smaller scale :)  You are in food mourning but this too shall pass once you start dropping the pounds, I assure you :)  xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Chilipepper
on 3/5/15 4:52 pm, edited 3/5/15 4:53 pm
We all have those same concerns. Those fears that we won't recognize ourselves postop. All of our lives revolved around food. Nothing your feeling is out of the ballpark. Don't think of it as thin vs lifestyle. Think of it as health and future health vs lifestyle. Being thin is just the sugerfree icing on top of the cake. The preop diet is hard but it is training your brain as well as preparing your body for surgery. I don't think that it's that your not ready I just think you have the preop jitters. We all lost weight and had the same thought but if you didn't think you needed this in your soul you wouldn't have sought it out. You will be healthy and happy postop. Good luck to you Chili

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 4:54 pm, edited 3/5/15 4:54 pm

Laura,

I agree 100 % with the last posts. 

If you don't have any co-morbid conditions right now,

it won't always be that way if you continue being morbidly obese it will get worse.

mmsmom
on 3/5/15 8:48 pm - Woburn, MA

This surgery will change you physically for the rest of your life.  I recommend researching, reading every blog, article, forum spec of information you can find and thinking about it for a full year before cutting out 85% of your stomach.  It is a life changing surgery.  There is  no going back.   That being said, I have no regrets. 

VSG on 04/28/2014

Grim_Traveller
on 3/5/15 8:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It seems like you aren't ready. Most of us convinced ourselves we could lose without surgery. We had to find out the hard way we couldn't.

You're still young. For you, this is still thin vs food, and food is winning. After a few more failed diet attempts and the onset of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, neuropathy, joint pain, arthritis, and heart problems, the issue will be health vs food. Food makes a lot less compelling argument in that scenario.

Don't do the surgery until you are ready to commit 100%

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NanfromSan
on 3/7/15 1:02 pm
VSG on 12/09/14
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views