I'm struggling........

traumajunkie
on 9/2/15 11:25 am

5 months post op & 60 lbs gone. I feel like I am struggling for various reasons:  

1) this week I have no energy. I feel so tired no matter how much rest I have gotten. Up until now I have felt amazing and had tons of energy. What's going on? 

2) peanuts oh peanuts. I crave them and eat more than I should over the course of the day. Yes, not a terrible food choice but the fat content is sabotaging my progress. One serving is 1/4 cup, 170 calories. Not a lot of bang for my buck. 

3) weight has been teetering between 151-149 for about two weeks. I find myself grazing on dill pickle flavored sunflower seeds, peanuts, and cheese. Again, not horrible choices but wasted calorie intake. 

4) I feel so hungry late in the evenings. Not sure why but this is when I graze the most. I don't understand. Even more unsure as to how to fix it. I eat sugar free Popsicles right before I go to bed. This is so frustrating because I feel like I have done good all day long making good choices and getting my protein and water in and then at night I screw it up because I snack. I am strict to the no bread, no pasta, no rice. I watch my carb intake pretty closely. Any suggestions. 

Ive got 25ish lbs to go until I reach my goal. Once I reach it I want to be able to maintain it properly. Not sure what I can do to help myself over this hump. 

5ft 3in 40years old HW225 CW200 GW125 sleeved 3/24/2014

psychoticparrot
on 9/2/15 4:51 am, edited 9/2/15 4:52 am

If your tiredness has come on suddenly, it could be that you have a minor bug that's sapping your energy temporarily. When you're tired out, it's very hard to make good food choices and drink enough liquids. 

I think you're doing well with your food choices, given the cir****tances. Give it a few more days and see if things clear up. If they don't, you should call your surgeon or nutritionist to see what might be going wrong and what to do about it.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

cappy11448
on 9/2/15 12:01 pm

I don't have a solution, but I can commiserate.  Some times the body/mind just doesn't cooperate.  Its good that you are limiting your snacks to healthy alternatives.  Keep the commitment and keep the carbs low.  In the past I find that these recalcitrant times do pass and you'll get back on track.  I'm just breaking thru a barrier myself.  But these past two days I've been good and I'm hopeful that I will be back on track now.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Bufflehead
on 9/2/15 12:23 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

When I have foods I am struggling with -- and believe me, I have been there with nuts and cheese -- I either get them out of the house completely, or use a kitchen safe. With a kitchen safe, I set it to open in the morning (when my willpower is strong), measure out my portion for the day, then lock it up.

If I am really struggling with snacking, I make a deal with myself: I can snack as much as I want, as long as it is chicken breast or green veggies. That forces me to confront whether I am really, truly hungry or just looking for entertainment or indulging head hunger. And if I do decide I want the chicken breast or broccoli (no sauces, butter, cheese, etc. on those things), then I let myself have it and I can't do much damage to my calorie and carb intake for the day.

I feel your pain. Good luck!

Tracy D.
on 9/2/15 12:37 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I found myself having the same issues with nuts....but only if they had salt on them.  Take away the salt and my desire to eat them plummeted.  

Look over the snacks you're eating - sunflower seeds, cheese, nuts.  All of these have high amounts of salt.  It's the salty-fat combo that you're craving and giving in to.  You may have to remove these from the house or only allow salt-free varieties in the house.  And believe me, salt-free cheese is NOT fun!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/2/15 12:40 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Have you tried PB2? It's a powdered peanut butter that's quite a bit better, stat-wise, than regular peanuts. You can mix it into a protein shake or yogurt, maybe that would help satisfy things a bit?

If you're getting hungry late at night, you might want to try shuffling around the timing of your meals. Have you tried dinner later in the evening? Or if you have enough room in your calorie budget, you could plan on having an evening snack. I'll often have a piece of string cheese before bed and it's a good way to keep full.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

traumajunkie
on 9/2/15 4:15 pm

I just made me a batch of the chocolate. Oh my freeze it and I have created a very fulfilling little treat. Whoooooooo hhoooooooo

jacreasy
on 9/3/15 6:27 am
VSG on 04/23/12

a batch of chocolate what??

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Dan1962
on 9/2/15 2:12 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

As I got closer to my goal I was so pleased with myself that I started to make excuses for myself.  I didn't care if I lost more weight.....I looked so good...I was off my meds...I was off my CPAP.....Refocus and you will get there....currently 3# blow my goal!  

mellen613
on 9/2/15 2:53 pm

If you crave Peanuts/butter...try purchasing PB2.  You can find it in the peanut butter aisle.  It's a powdered form.   All the fat removed.   It's 45 calories for 2 tablespoons.   I actually eat just the powder on a spoon and it calms my cravings.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views