Can you share your eating schedule? How many meals per day?

Hkinzfnp
on 1/20/16 10:58 am

I am about 5 months out from my VSG and feeling great.  Until recently I had been eating 3 meals per day and sometimes a snack in the afternoon.  Lately I occasionally feel a bit hungry so will have a cheese stick between breakfast and lunch.  As I'm at the point now where I'm starting to see and plan for the long term haul with my sleeve I am wondering if I will end up being a 4 meals per day gal.

wondering if people will share what their average day looks like in terms of times/meals??

Thanks as always- advice from the vets is always so helpful!

Gwen M.
on 1/20/16 11:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My surgeon was super big on "three meals a day, no snacks" when I started seeing him, but now he's changed to "four meals a day."  I do a protein shake for breakfast every day, then I eat lunch around 2 and dinner around 8 and I tend to have a protein-based snack between 2 and 8 if I get hungry.  (Which I don't always.)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JoeyJo
on 1/20/16 11:34 am, edited 1/20/16 4:06 am - NJ

My workweek routine is pretty robotic, three meals, two snacks.

I have a Quest bar or protein shake around 7:30.

At 8:00, I drink a big bottle of Propel and sometimes a decaf coffee on my commute to work. I refill the bottle of Propel at the water cooler and add a packet of Propel powder. I am weaning myself to use Stevia sweetened powders, but I am not there yet. I continue drinking till 11:30.

At noon, I wash and quarter a sweet pepper (yellow red or orange) and I split the contents of one ranch flavored StarKist Tuna Creations packet onto each part of the pepper. Simple, easy and delicious. Rarely, on hungry days, I add a small banana or other piece of fruit.

A half an hour after eating, I start drinking again. I stop at 2:30

At 3:00, I have a Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt, usually vanilla toasted coconut, but I just tried Oikos Triple Zero sweetened with Stevia so I bought some. The raspberry flavor is really good, so for 40 extra calories, it is worth it to me to skip the artificial sweeteners.

Before I leave for the day, I refill my water bottle for the commute home and sometimes have decaf coffee. I stop half an hour before I get home. I have Combat Crunch and Quest protein bars in the trunk of my car in case I work really late and need to eat one before driving home.

My dinners are usually ready to roll. Protein and veggies like pre-packaged grilled chicken thrown onto some lettuce with lite honey mustard dressing, or a filet of fish cooked in the George Forman grill served over cooked baby spinach. In a pinch, I microwave some asparagus for 3 minutes and wrap roast turkey breast lunchmeat around it. Tonight I am trying imitation crab salad. Last night, I stopped on the way home and bought real snow crab legs that were on sale. They were on sale because some were rotten. Unfortunately, we did not find that they were bad until after eating a couple of good ones then eating a really bad one. I brought them back, but I will not be buying grocery store crab legs for a while.

A half an hour after eating, I drink a little bit, not like during the day.

If I'm hungry, which I usually am, I have a snack about an hour before bed, usually a sugar-free fudgsicle or two, a Greek yogurt, carrots and hummus or whatever I have stocked.

Sorry this got so long, it helps me refocus.

hollykim
on 1/20/16 2:56 pm, edited 1/20/16 8:23 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 20, 2016 at 7:34 PM Pacific Time, JoeyJo wrote:

My workweek routine is pretty robotic, three meals, two snacks.

I have a Quest bar or protein shake around 7:30.

At 8:00, I drink a big bottle of Propel and sometimes a decaf coffee on my commute to work. I refill the bottle of Propel at the water cooler and add a packet of Propel powder. I am weaning myself to use Stevia sweetened powders, but I am not there yet. I continue drinking till 11:30.

At noon, I wash and quarter a sweet pepper (yellow red or orange) and I split the contents of one ranch flavored StarKist Tuna Creations packet onto each part of the pepper. Simple, easy and delicious. Rarely, on hungry days, I add a small banana or other piece of fruit.

A half an hour after eating, I start drinking again. I stop at 2:30

At 3:00, I have a Dannon Light & Fit Greek yogurt, usually vanilla toasted coconut, but I just tried Oikos Triple Zero sweetened with Stevia so I bought some. The raspberry flavor is really good, so for 40 extra calories, it is worth it to me to skip the artificial sweeteners.

Before I leave for the day, I refill my water bottle for the commute home and sometimes have decaf coffee. I stop half an hour before I get home. I have Combat Crunch and Quest protein bars in the trunk of my car in case I work really late and need to eat one before driving home.

My dinners are usually ready to roll. Protein and veggies like pre-packaged grilled chicken thrown onto some lettuce with lite honey mustard dressing, or a filet of fish cooked in the George Forman grill served over cooked baby spinach. In a pinch, I microwave some asparagus for 3 minutes and wrap roast turkey breast lunchmeat around it. Tonight I am trying imitation crab salad. Last night, I stopped on the way home and bought real snow crab legs that were on sale. They were on sale because some were rotten. Unfortunately, we did not find that they were bad until after eating a couple of good ones then eating a really bad one. I brought them back, but I will not be buying grocery store crab legs for a while.

A half an hour after eating, I drink a little bit, not like during the day.

If I'm hungry, which I usually am, I have a snack about an hour before bed, usually a sugar-free fudgsicle or two, a Greek yogurt, carrots and hummus or whatever I have stocked.

Sorry this got so long, it helps me refocus.

check that imitation crabmeat. It is usually full of sugar and fillers. Better off with real crabmeat in the can.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/20/16 3:07 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Can you believe it? I was gonna pick up some imitation crab meat at BJ's & saw it had 12 carbs per serving! Crabmeat! It had more carbs than the yogurt pops I like to eat as a treat. Back on the shelf it went. Ugh vey!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

hollykim
on 1/20/16 4:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

real crabmeat inthe can is fine. That imitation crap is just that...crap.

hollykim
on 1/20/16 4:52 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
acbbrown
on 1/20/16 11:39 am - Granada Hills, CA

I have to do 3 meals and 2 snacks to keep my hunger under control at 4.5 yrs out. My snacks are 100-150 cals usually. As I tackle regain, my snacks are almost never carbs as carbs do very little to curb the hunger. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

cappy11448
on 1/20/16 12:12 pm

My program was strict on three meals per day which is what I did during weight loss.  Ironically, when I went to maintenance, I found that adding a 4th meal worked best to increase my calories in the healthiest ways.  So I'm doing 4 meals a day, or three and a snack, some days.

I usually eat at 9am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm. 

best of luck,

Carol 

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Tracy D.
on 1/20/16 12:15 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I do 3 meals, 2 snacks in order to keep the blood sugar stable.  A snack might be 1 oz. of jerky and a few grapes/1/2 apple/small clementine.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views