Heartburn 2 years out

lessofme123
on 4/1/16 8:00 pm

I am almost 2 years out from surgery.  Right after surgery I had a little trouble with minor heartburn, and was on Prilosec for a few months.  I haven't had any more problems with heartburn until recently.  The last few days I have noticed that I am getting a little heartburn almost every time I eat.  Is this something I should worry about, or is it nothing?  BTW, I still love my sleeve.  I've been an goal for a year now!

DiaMon
on 4/1/16 10:15 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

I've never been able to go off of Nexium... I weened off by switching to omeprazole and oh was that the wrong move. I had acid up and down my kazoo. I still have my gallbladder, which I'm aware that I have stones, so they might be the culprit. And well.... I hope you can find an answer soon, congrats on the 2 years! 

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

cappy11448
on 4/2/16 4:50 am

Congratulations on two years out, and maintaining at goal.  Great job!

Please keep posting.  Its great for the newbies (and the rest of us!) to see success stories like yours.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

acbbrown
on 4/2/16 8:15 am - Granada Hills, CA

Do you track what you eat? I've dealt with acid problems for years. It could be dietary - there are a lot of acidic foods that can cause acid/reflux. Or it could be eating too much/too fast. Or it could just be that your stomach is producing too much acid or your valve at the base of your esophagus isn't working properly. I suggest tracking your food to see if you can identify a culprit, and then look at whether you're eating habits might play a part. (Google list of foods that might cause heartburn). 

See a doc if you're concerned. PPIs can be very useful for controlling reflux. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Hislady
on 4/2/16 6:28 pm - Vancouver, WA

Long term acid issues can cause Barrett's esophgus a pre cancerous condition, as many of us lap band people learned the hard way, so if it continues be sure to check with your primary doc or GI doc they can do test to check the condition of your esophagus.

deniseselah
on 4/3/16 6:21 am - Kansas City, MO
VSG on 05/06/14

I'll be two years out in May and still take omezaprole every day ... if I miss two days of it, I'm on fire.

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? 

I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord,  I will pay my vows to the Lord in the presence of all his people. Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.  

O Lord, I am your servant; I am your servant, the child of your serving girl. You have loosed my bonds. -- Psalm 116:12-16

califsleevin
on 4/4/16 3:08 pm - CA

I would be inclined to get it checked out, particularly since it had apparently resolved itself and then came back. There are some "silent" reflux issues that aren't classically symptomatic, and if you are now experiencing symptoms, that could indicate a worsening of the problem. There are also some physical problems that may be causing it - a hiatal hernia or shape issues with your sleeve that could exacerbate acid problems. The PPIs that are commonly used to treat reflux (omeprazole, nexium, protonix, etc.) aren't the friendliest things to be on long term, so if there is a physical problem, it is better to get to the underlying cause than to mask the symptoms with drugs.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active