Any runners out there??

Hkinzfnp
on 4/23/16 3:30 am

Like many other VSGers out there one of my goals is to run a 5k.  Yesterday I was able to jog 3 miles without stopping, although I am still very slow!  I am super excited though since I've never gotten this close to finishing the 5k program before!!

My first question is how often can I run without hurting myself?  Should I take a rest day in between every time?  Any other tips at all from runners would be awesome...this is probably my biggest non-scale goal.  I want to call myself a runner!

Thanks in advance!

Bufflehead
on 4/23/16 4:09 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

The advice I got was to take a rest day every other day, but it is okay to do other kinds of exercise on your rest day, low to moderate impact.

NANNY13
on 4/23/16 1:40 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

I usually just run 5 or 6 days a week. I change it up. I start off at the track and since the gym that I go to is close, sometimes I just run a couple and run to the gym and do weights and run back to the track and finish up or finish on the treadmill. I try to do my speed work on the treadmill because I zone out running outside. I love to be outside. Sometimes I just stay out there and do my workout out in the field rolling all over the ground. LOL!

dudearino
on 4/23/16 3:57 pm

I just did the Couch to 5k app.  It is called C25K and is a great program that last 8 weeks, I just did my first 5k April 9th less than 5 months after surgery.  My problem with running has always been I set a goal to run a 5k, do it, and stop.  I decided this time I was going to run one every 3 months so I am constantly training for something.  I run 2 - 3 times a week, I don't think my knees could take anymore than that and I always rest a day in between.  Keep up the hard work it feels great when you finish your run.

GooseGirl
on 4/24/16 4:01 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I'm a run/walker with bad knees and hips and I typically run/walk 5 days a week. My general schedule is to take Monday off, run Tu, We, Th, Fri off, Sat is my long day and Sun is a shorter recovery walk/run. When I was training for my full marathon I changed it up a little bit and would take Sunday off after my long walk on Saturday and instead walk M - Thu. 

The biggest challenge for me was learning the line between pain I can work through and pain that I need to stop doing what I'm doing. I still struggle with that at times but I'm getting better at it. Plus, I had the benefit of having an excellent team of doctors who, while they thought I was crazy, helped me reach my fitness goals and in January I completed my first full marathon. In addition I have already completed 5 half-marathons this year and am on my way to hitting my goal of completing 12 half marathons this year. 

There are a lot of programs out there with great training plans. Find one that works best with your schedule and go for it. BTW - if you are running 3 miles... you are already a runner so CONGRATS!

iloveravens
on 4/24/16 5:19 am
RNY on 08/13/14

The advice on this differs greatly from what I've researched.  If something didn't hurt yesterday during your run, I've read there's no reason you can't run a little distance today.  That said, I was running 3-4 miles almost every day for months and feeling no pain.  When I added in spinning, I started to suffer an overuse injury (IT band syndrome).  I stopped running and spinning for several weeks and just did Zumba and weights classes.  I am now pain free.  The best advice is to listen to your body.  Rest days are just as important.  Don't overdo it and you should be fine.  Disclaimer: I am not an expert...an orthopedist, physical therapist, or doctor will have the best advice for you.

P.S.  If you can jog 3 miles without stopping, no matter how fast, you can definitely call yourself a runner 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

pdxwoman
on 4/25/16 8:04 am
VSG on 03/21/16

One thing that is very helpful for runners to prevent injuries is foam rolling. I have IT Band issue previously and plan on going back to running but this time I will religiously foam roll. It helps to release the ligaments and tendons and keep them looser. Also, the rulle is to only add about 10% per week to keep injury free. Running on grass or gravel is best then asphalt and lastly concrete. You also might want to combine yoga with running to have a good balance. Also, you can change it up with HIIT and weights will also keep you in balance.

Have fun!! I love trail running!

GoBlueGirl1998
on 4/25/16 9:30 am - MI

I'm going to call you a runner now.....hello you just ran 3 miles without stopping!

It all depends how far you're running weekly, if you're training, endurance level, how you feel, etc. 

I had been running five days a week with no problems while training for 1/2 marathon. Sometimes I would run three consecutive days. There are guides out there for training for a 5k, 10K, 1/2 marathon, etc. I would look at those and follow one of those. See how your body responds and how you feel.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/5k-training-plans

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/145.shtml

PS - make sure you have good shoes..........it makes a world of difference.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views