No goal-- am I alone?

frisco
on 5/18/16 6:42 pm

Looks like I will be a little different on "my" view and opinion on this subject.

I know without a doubt that setting goal weights has been good for me.

They don't need to be a one number set in stone goal, but goals non the less.

My surgeon is good at working with his patients at goals, both short and long and I know that is not common but I really think it has it's advantages.

Look around here, more people that are/were goal weight orientated made goal weight. But here is the deal.... goal weight doesn't mean inside the BMI chart, it can mean what ever you want it to be.

Goal setting for me has been good because it equates to discipline with food/eating.

I firmly believe that setting goal weights has helped me maintain long term. I/we see many people with a looser approach not make a goal weight and/or have a harder time maintaining.

I am a fat person that had no discipline or structure when it came to food and eating and it would be really easy for me to be fat again without keeping goals in mind.

When I got down to a weight and my surgeon said "Stop, your done.... now hold that weight for a year" well, that part about holding the weight for a year became the next goal..... and the next goal.... and the next goal.

I like goal weights, they aren't for everybody but I think more people should have them. Obesity and WLS is serious **** and should have a serious approach!!!

My opinion...

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Felynn
on 5/19/16 4:41 am
VSG on 02/24/16

I get where your coming from and maybe in time when I am closer to it I will change my mind and set a goal and then it will be more important to me ..

i also like that when people ask how much more I want to loose ... I say honestly I really don't know!

roxytrim
on 5/19/16 7:12 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Good answer Felynn.  This journey is fluid and lots of learning going on all the time.  

I think part of what you are saying is you don't want to become a number on a scale & for most people who haven't experienced WLS they think the magic number is the golden ring.  

You will figure out what parameters you need to set for yourself to help with consistancy and long term success - wether it be fitting into a certain clothes size, number on the scale, measurment of part of your body, or other biological health indicator.  Your indicator might change over time.  

The best part is that it's your body and you are finally learning how to be in control.

karen98272
on 5/24/16 2:50 pm

I was sleeved 11/19/2015 & I don't have a specific or exact weight goal, I do have a CLOTHING SIZE goal.

We all want to look a certain way...feel a certain way...have certain benefits from all of our efforts and changes we've made---and I personally, don't think that a number on the scale equates to complete success if we have those quality aspects of life as rewards from our drastic life changes made from whatever WLS  procedure we chose to have.

I'm not going to have a meltdown if I plateau and don't reach some magic number...I'm 6 months out and already feel leagues better than I did in November of last year...the best is yet to come and WE determine our successes...at least, that's how I'm approaching it.

milaortiz30
on 5/25/16 9:25 am
VSG on 10/07/15

i dont' think it's weird. my initial goal was 160.  now it's 140.  after that it might be 120.  it's like you never really know until you get there where else you might want to go.  i think it's healthy you aren't stressing about a specific goal.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views