Eating Out after VSG....... Who the "F" cares !!!

frisco
on 8/3/16 5:32 pm

It's a natural fear to be concerned about what others think on how you eat post WLS.

I get it, but I never had it. I just figured it was going to be better than "Look how much the fat guy eats".

I'm here to tell you from almost 7 years out...... It doesn't "F'in" matter.... none issue, no one really cares.

If anything you make others conscious of how much they over eat and that's what your hearing !!!

I once read someone posting here defending a larger sleeve saying they can eat a normal sized adult meal vs. a toddler meal when eating out..... I just thought..... good luck with that !!!

In my experience eating out with purpose only gains respect and people really don't care what you eat!!!

People love eating out with me because they get more food !!!!

The people I eat with regularly know almost exactly what my portion size is !!!

Bottom line, Who the "F" cares, not your problem !!!

Don't let anyone or anything get in your way !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Spencerella
on 8/3/16 5:36 pm, edited 8/3/16 11:27 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

TRUTH!  The least of our worries!  

If we put our effort into getting the excess weight off - and I mean ALL the excess weight off - look a person who has a small appetite!  That's congruence, inside and out. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

ocean4dlm
on 8/4/16 1:10 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Amen !

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

TimeToHealRich2016
on 8/4/16 1:13 am - CA
VSG on 07/11/16

Love your approach to "Don't let anyone or anything get in your way !!!"...way2sayit.

HW: 447 SW: 415 GW: 240 CW: 339 Total WL = 110

WL: Pre-op: -32 M1: -27 M2: -19 M3: -14 M4: -9 M5 & M6: -9 in progress

Steph Meat Hag
on 8/4/16 7:02 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

It's also weird to me how many people fret about going out to eat.  Or being able to eat a "normal" meal, amount, or the old foods like burgers and pizza.

You can eat out, and you can stick to your plan.  You might have to order something YOU feel weird about but I assure you that the waiter or cashier doesn't think it's weird.  (think about all the weird things people ask from, I want a this but without that, plus this and not that, those orders are a pain in the butt, not hold the bun)  When I walk up and ask for a burger no bun, they don't even blink.  They ask fries or a drink, I say no.  The drink is the only thing that throws people, so if they insist I'll take a cup for water as to make both of our lives at that moment easier.  

I sometimes can eat my whole burger depending on what was on it and how big it was.  But I don't mess with lettuce and tomatoes, I'm here for the meat, cheese, and bacon! When I'm done they say do you want a box, if going home I might take one, if I'm not then I say nope and they take it away.  When on earth has any waiter getting in a huff about what you leave on your plate?  If it's you toss your trash, there's not a soul to see, and if they take it away they still want their tip so above asking me about a box I've never had one put up a protest in 8 years.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

FuturePinUp
on 8/4/16 7:38 am

Yes!! I never cared much at all. I do have to admit that it's a lot better now that I am much skinnier. When I was first post-VSG (and still had loads of weight to lose), I did get some strange looks from servers because I'm sure they were all "Wait. This large lady is really ONLY going to order a cup of chilli and a side of spinach?" Now that I am basically at goal, that same order doesn't warrant a second glance because I guess people would expect someone smaller to eat smaller portions.

That is really the only thing I noticed changed with perceptions while eating out, but regardless - I never let it bother me. I eat out all the time, still love the experience, and enjoy it just as much as I did pre-sleevie.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Donna L.
on 8/4/16 3:24 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

A part of it is linked to disordered eating.  You are absolutely 100% right.

I often throw away food if I'm out and can't eat it.  It does no one any good to eat what we don't need to.  Part of me finds it wasteful, but I think avoiding cancer, diabetes, early death, and neurological disorders is worth not eating more than I should.  I mean, it's not worth our health to be skittish.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Scarletstitches
on 8/4/16 4:25 pm, edited 8/4/16 9:26 am

One thing I've worked hard on changing this last year as I was working up to my surgery date was my attitude about 'wasting' food when eating out. Unlike at home, when eating out we have little to no say in the portion sizes given. I'm trying to look at the price I'm paying at a restaurant as what I'm paying for the total experience, not the food. ie I'm paying x amount of dollars to go to a nice place, be waited on, have some good food, (not have to do the dishes) and just enjoy the experience. Even if I only ate half of what was given, and was not in a situation where taking home leftovers was an option, if I enjoyed the experience, then I got what I paid for. Having more food than I wanted just because it was there, would spoil the experience. I'd go home feeling both physically awful from the overeating as well as guilty for doing so. Anyway, trying to look at it from this angle has helped me fight the 'must clean my plate' and 'don't waste!' demons. Hopeful it will help someone else as well. 

VSG 7/27/2016. HW 241 SW 222 CW 210. 5'4"

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views