GREAT post-op visit yesterday!!

yvranx42
on 2/15/17 12:03 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

I couldn't have been happier at my post-op visit yesterday. I'm down 20 lbs since my surgery on 2/1!! Unreal! My surgeon said all my incisions are healing perfectly, he's very happy that I didn't need to use any of the pain meds after leaving the hospital. He asked if I was hungry yet, and I said no, only head hunger. He suggested that I stay on liquids for another week if I am able at it should continue to keep the weight coming off quickly. My favorite thing he said though is that losing this much weight early on bodes well for the total amount of weight I'll be able to lose long term.

I'm living in fear of having a major gout attack from losing weight this fast. I'm getting little tinglings in my toes lately, but fortunately it hasn't grown into a full blown flare yet. I've been adding tart cherry concentrate to my water, which Dr. Chen said was fine. Cherries helped me before surgery, so I'm hoping the concentrate will have the same effects.

He cleared me to start doing karate again in March, and to start doing cardio now. I was just on the elliptical for 30 minutes this morning, and, as always, I hated the 30 minutes of doing it but felt great afterwards. I might have another go this afternoon if I'm feeling up to it.

Just had to share!! All the agony for the first couple of days was SO worth it!!

Anita
on 2/15/17 12:10 pm, edited 2/15/17 4:10 am

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Isn't it wonderful to feel so good so fast? Just wait til 3 months have passed and you'll be a whole new person.....and you'll be saying something like 'I can't believe this happened so fast!'

I also have a love - hate relationship with the elliptical, but it's great because it's low impact and for me it works up a really good sweat pretty fast.....gets my heart rate up to where I need it and keeps it steady for the right time too.

Keep up the good work and in case no one has said it....Welcome to the Loser's Bench!!!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

yvranx42
on 2/15/17 2:17 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Thanks so much!! Yes very gratifying to feel so good so fast. An amazing journey to be sure.

diane S.
on 2/15/17 12:57 pm

Excellent! You might ask your doctor about Actigal which is  medicine that helps ward off gall bladder attacks. My surgeon gives it to all his patients for the first 6 months. I still have my GB 7 years later. 

Keep it up and welcome to the loser's bench.  Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

yvranx42
on 2/15/17 2:18 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Good to know, I'll inquire about that. Thanks so much!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 1:14 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Happy to hear you are doing great.  Awesome you are working out and ahead of the game in weight loss.  Welcome to the "Loser's Bench."  You are on your way. 

Rachel B.
on 2/15/17 1:41 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

CONGRATS!!!  Yea, tart cherry juice is the bomb.  Did your surgeon say you couldn't do Allopurinol?

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

yvranx42
on 2/15/17 2:24 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Thank you!

About allopurinol - I'm somewhat adverse to starting on a medication I would need to be on for the rest of my life, especially if I can avoid it. Pre-surgery, my triggers were pretty clear: crab and bone-based broth soups always caused me a flare. I had been without a flare up in about 3 years between watching those foods and cherry consumption.

My surgeon says I might have some flares while losing, but then it should be gone after the weight is off. I can live with a couple flare ups as I lose, and if I can mitigate it with the cherry concentrate, all the better.

Oh and I don't do colchicine either. I tried it once and it made me paranoid.

Readyjwc
on 2/15/17 2:39 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

GREAT JOB!

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 3:46 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

It sounds like you are off to a great start!  Congratulations!  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views