Two-Weeks Post-Op and hoping to meet some people, get advice, etc.!

Tyler G.
on 9/11/17 3:10 pm - Boston, MA
VSG on 08/29/17

Hey everyone! My name's Tyler. As of tomorrow I'll be two-weeks post-op from VSG, and I have to say, I'm feeling pretty awesome. I've been more and more active as the days go by, my only pain is pretty much focused on the incision the surgeon pulled the stomach out of, which I'm told is totally normal and expected. I went through my pain medication and switched over to Aleve as recommended by my PA, and have been doing well with that. I've been having normal BMs now for a few days, no stomach spasms or nausea. I'm honestly very relieved that I haven't had complications (knock on wood!). I don't have many support groups close to where I live (the nearest one is 40 miles away), so I wanted to give the online community a shot.

I pretty much wrote a novel for my story on my profile, but here's a little bit about me:

• I'm 23 years old
  • I'm married to my husband Jo; we've been together for five years and our wedding anniversary is Oct. 2nd
  • I have three cats, named Noonoo (male longhair tuxedo), Sora (calico), and Pimento (male tabby)
  • I'm from Boston, MA
  • I love music, art, cartoons/comics, musical theater, and videogames
  • I'm a fantastic cook

I'd love to hear about you guys and am open to words of advice or personal tales!

-Tyler

yvonnef1964
on 9/11/17 7:05 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

Welcome to the boards. I'm 3 years out. Glad you're doing good.

Yvonne

dmcs85
on 9/11/17 7:26 pm, edited 9/11/17 12:26 pm

welcome!!

I am 2 weeks out today and this community of wise, truthful, no bs folks has got me through every step. so happy you found this support group!

a little bit about me

• I have 2 wonderful, funny, awesome boys that are 4 and 2
  • I live in southern illinois
  • I am a school bus driver and love it
  • I love music, camping, traveling, animals and the woods
  • I try to be an awesome cook but not so much

jachristmas
on 9/11/17 7:56 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

Hello and welcome! You definitely came to the right place for advice..there are some very knowledgeable folks here. It sounds like you are doing well so just keep sticking to your doctor's plan. I am 9 months post op and this has been the best decision I have ever made for my health.

~Amanda~

HW at consult #1 5/19/16: 348 lbs.

Consult #2 8/31/16: 331 lbs.

SW 12/14/16: 286 lbs.

Tyler G.
on 9/11/17 8:57 pm - Boston, MA
VSG on 08/29/17

Hi there! Thank you all for stopping by and for the well wishes! I'm hoping this will help with my accountability, but I'm feeling strong. Good luck to the three of you. :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/17 10:01 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Hi Tyler, welcome! I am 8 months post vsg and I also flew through with no complications. I live in Phoenix although I grew up in NY. The folks on this board are so helpful. It's been a huge help every step of the way. Everyone will try and keep you on track. The first few weeks are the hardest. It will be helpful that you like to cook. I know I get bored easily so new lo carb recipes keep me going. I hope your husband is supportive. Good luck with your journey. It will be so worth it.

CC C.
on 9/12/17 5:10 am

Welcome, Tyler! Sounds like you're doing great!

You mentioned your PA has you taking Aleve. It's an NSAID which can inhibit healing and cause ulcers. Some surgeons are okay with occasional use well after your stomach has healed, others are not okay with them ever for VSG folks (pretty much no one is okay with them for RNY people). I haven't ever heard of someone being advised to take them right after surgery. Just something to think about if you aren't hurting all that much and could do without them. Tylenol is always an option.

Fredbear
on 9/12/17 7:33 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Yeah, Aleve is ibuprofen and that should be off the table completely. Tylenol (acetaminophen) should be your go-to pain killer.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

theAntiChick
on 9/12/17 7:53 am, edited 9/12/17 12:54 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

It's actually naproxen, but in the same drug class/family as ibuprofen, and depending on who you talk to is stronger/more effective/more side effects than ibuprofen. I love the stuff, but can't take it because it triggers fever blisters like crazy for me.

I second the concerns here. I had the VSG because I needed to be able to take NSAIDs and steroids for my auto-immune disorder, but even with that, my surgeon didn't want me taking any if possible until I was cleared for a full regular diet. And only with protective PPIs.

NSAIDs are not only very hard on stomach tissue, they can interfere with healing. When I had my knee reconstruction, my orthopedic surgeon didn't want me taking any NSAIDs until a year after surgery. That was luckily before I developed the auto-immune issue.

Your PA may not be aware of all of this (though in a bariatric setting s/he should be), so please call and double check with your surgeon's nurse.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

theAntiChick
on 9/12/17 7:54 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

Oh, and WELCOME!

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet