Incision oozing!! Help!

hannahg22
on 9/16/17 11:08 am
VSG on 08/15/17

So this is the second time it's happened, I'm a month post op and my incision by my belly button is oozing. It's not really a color, more like clear mixed with a little blood. Almost like after you pop a pimple? There's no smell and the incision isn't bright red or hot.

But it started to ooze randomly today, I was just sitting at the kitchen table. I taped gauze on it. Why does this happen? Is this normal? Do I need to go to the ER?!

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/17 12:13 pm

I did not have this experiance, so I do not know, but I would say to be on the safe side, you should mention it to a doctor. Mine was glued so nothing came out of it that I remember .

NYMom222
on 9/16/17 3:55 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I wouldn't go to the ER unless it's infected and you are running a fever and even still I would try and contact the surgeon first.

I would dab a little antibiotic ointment on it. And just keep an eye on it. You can always call the surgeon's office on Monday if needed.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

missc_26
on 9/17/17 5:10 am
VSG on 10/03/16

Hi ya

I had a wound infection following my surgery where the larger incision (the port) got oozy and bloody. I would definitely contact your surgeon. I took photos of mine so I could show them how it was progressing and just to be on the safe side I was given antibiotics to take.

My advice would be to clean it 2x daily using a diluted antibacterial like dettol or savlon (I think they have Neosporin in U.S.?) and not to put gauze on it, allow it to breathe as much as possible. Wear cotton or similar natural flowing fabric against it so as not to irritate it.

It can be scary when it happens but really if you care for it properly and check in with your surgeon it will come right. Hope this helps and all the best.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/17/17 7:08 am

Definitely call the doc.

But if there is no pain, swelling, or redness - it may be just reaction to stitches. Some stitches are "dissolveable" but in some cases they don't completely break down and little pieces - sharp needle like- may start working itself out. One in a while I had that happened for me in my incisions, a small area gets red and small piece of stitch gets out. Like if my skin is trying to get rid of it. And I had a surgery 3 years ago.

But take pictures, and monitor it daily. And call the doc on Monday. Unless it get red and start hurting really bad before that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Shannon S.
on 9/17/17 3:56 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Transparent redish pinkish is usually normal, we call that serosanguinous drainage in the medical field. It would be more concerning if the drainage was opaque, yellow/green/whitish, or with odor. If incision surrounding is red, warm, or painful this is also suspicious. Main thing is to keep area dry and clean per your surgeon's instructions, and reach out to your surgical team if in doubt, this is why they get paid the buckets of money!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views