Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag’s Posts

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/25/20 12:30 pm
Topic: RE: I'm frightened after reading some of these posts. Stalling made me give up losing weight in the past

Surgery fixes your stomach, NOT your head.

Being successful after WLS requires constant vigilance and a completely new relationship with food. The folks who slide into old habits, like emotional eating and binging, tend to be the ones *****gain.

The people here who've been successful at losing and maintaining for 5, 10, or more years continue to weigh, measure, and log their food, and stay accountable for everything they eat and drink. Surgery is not magic and it requires a lifetime of hard work.

If you don't think you can commit to that, spare yourself and don't have surgery until you're ready to commit and follow-through.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

on 2/19/20 2:19 pm
Topic: RE: Gas/discomfort

All surgeries involve gas; the surgeon needs to inflate your abdomen so they will have room to work and perform the procedure. For most people, it's not a big deal and it's all out of your system within a day or two.

If you're trying to learn about surgeries, I really recommend the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies." I gave it to my mom before I had my surgery six years ago, and she said it was a really big help!

on 2/18/20 12:38 pm
Topic: RE: BSG in 2015

I had my gallbladder out years before getting VSG, and it didn't affect my ability to lose weight.

Color me skeptical on this claim.

on 2/18/20 9:44 am
Topic: RE: Switching vitamins

I take a double dose of Centrum Silver, plus additional calcium and iron, and my blood work is fine. Generally, you want to shoot for 200% RDA on everything.

It would be wise to get your blood levels checked. Your regular doctor can order the tests and help you go over the results.

on 2/3/20 2:50 pm
Topic: RE: Absorption of psychotropic medications after sleeve surgery please help me understand

The sleeve surgery does not have malabsorption. Your medication will not be affected.

I have bipolar and my medications were not affected at all by the VSG.

on 1/29/20 12:55 pm
Topic: RE: Looking for Regain Info

You may want to check in with your surgeon to make sure that everything is good with your sleeve, from a mechanical perspective. You'll probably also need bloodwork to make sure your vitamins and such are in good shape.

Walking is good for your health, but it doesn't burn many calories. If you're trying to speed up your weight loss, you'll want something a bit more intense. Jogging, biking, swimming, zumba, any sort of cardio that really gets your heart rate up and keeps it there for 30+ minutes is a good choice.

Good luck!

on 1/23/20 9:54 am
Topic: RE: Why am I taking in so much air???

How are you drinking? Normal-size drinks? Or teeny sips? Smaller sips can help.

I'd also suggest trying different temperatures. Hot, cold, room temperature. Some people have better luck with warm water (or broth or tea) sitting in their stomach.

on 1/23/20 9:53 am
Topic: RE: Goals for 2020 WHAT ARE YOURS?

Goals for 2020:

• Keep working on regain after revision. Maybe another 10? I'll figure it out.

• Finish another triathlon and improve my time

• Do a 100mi bike ride (MS fundraiser in March)

• Keep working on weight training and be able to lift heavier things

on 1/20/20 6:33 pm
Topic: RE: Sleeved 3 days ago

Try different temperatures. Some people have better luck with warm or hot liquids as opposed to cold or room temp. See what your sleeve can handle!

on 12/23/19 8:16 am
Topic: RE: NO WEIGHT GAIN, JUST STUCK LOSING WEIGHT...

"Starvation mode" is largely bunk. The reality is that a smaller body requires fewer calories to maintain. If you're eating 1000 calories a day, that may have provided a deficit when you weighed 200lb, but it may be your maintenance level for a body that weighs 150lb.

Bottom line? You'll need to cut calories further to continue losing.

on 12/15/19 7:34 pm
Topic: RE: Wound care

Definitely ask your surgeon. My doctor said I was OK to rub a little bit of unscented soap on them and let shower water run over them, but your doctor may have different preferences.

on 12/8/19 12:29 pm
Topic: RE: 4 month stall and weight gain

Starvation mode is pretty much a myth. As your body gets smaller, you need fewer calories to maintain your weight. If you were eating 1000 calories and losing weight at 250, 1000 will have a smaller deficit when your body is at 200ish.

How many calories are you eating in a day? Many folks find that they have to stick to between 600 - 800 calories during the first year to lose weight, though stalls do happen even at that level.

on 12/3/19 8:17 am
Topic: RE: Can someone offer their opinion on my daily diet?

I would suggest going for as much lean, dense protein as you can. Chicken breast, lunch meat, beef jerky, other ways of preparing meat, maybe some cheese in there. Shakes, lettuce, protein bars, and fruit won't stay around in your stomach and keep you satisfied.

If you're struggling to lose weight at your current intake level, that probably means you should cut calories. There are plenty of folks here, especially several years out, who need to drop to about 800/day to lose weight.

on 11/14/19 9:01 am
Topic: RE: scar/incision management

Nope, I haven't put anything on my scars from any of my surgeries. They healed up just fine without any Neosporin or scar cream or anything!

on 10/29/19 8:32 pm
Topic: RE: Acid Reflux

Not completely sure. When I had my second surgery they did fix a hiatal hernia, which can contribute to GERD. They also discovered that my sleeve had stretched somewhat, but I don't know if that's generally a contributing factor. I believe there are some other theories on it as well (increased acid production, or the esophagus taking more time to move things through) but as I understand it it's not uncommon to develop GERD hears after VSG.

on 10/29/19 8:38 am
Topic: RE: Acid Reflux

If you already have acid reflux, VSG is not a good choice. The only fix for post-VSG reflux is to revise to RNY; medication usually doesn't fix it, and there's some risk in taking anti-acid medications in the long term.

I had no reflux prior to my VSG. Then, three years post-op, I developed severe GERD. I had a revision to RNY several months ago, which fixed the reflux.

on 10/28/19 3:42 pm
Topic: RE: Premier Protein bars

There are no doctors on this site. We're mostly people who have previously had surgery.

Your best bet is to get your protein and other nutrition through normal foods. For the standard high-protein, low-carb post-op diet, that's mostly going to be lean meat and dairy products. Check the daily menu thread on the RNY board if you need ideas.

One Premier Protein bar has almost 300 calories. Most people who are in the weight-loss phase aim for 600 - 800 calories per day, so that one protein bar takes up a pretty significant amount of your food for the day. Protein bars don't make you feel full the way that lean, dense protein does, so that makes it easy to overeat.

Some people also struggle with protein bars as your brain can treat them a bit like candy bars, which are (of course) off-limits after surgery. If you tended to binge on candy, it's best to avoid protein bars.

Some doctors allow patients to have the occasional protein bar in situations where real food isn't an option, like while you're travelling. If that's the case, there are better options; some folks really like the Quest bars, which are closer to 200 calories. Even then, though, you're better off having only half of one as a snack and limiting the calories you're getting in that way.

on 10/22/19 8:18 am
Topic: RE: Acid reflux

If you're dealing with unexplained pain, you definitely need to talk to your doctor.

For bowel trouble, you may want to take something like Miralax to get everything moving.

on 10/21/19 9:11 am
Topic: RE: Bypass surgery?

"My body, my choice." Make it your mantra.

Sure, there are dangers associated with surgery. But in the long run, those risks are TINY compared to the risks of obesity.

on 10/17/19 9:53 am
Topic: RE: Any regrets?

Knowing what I did at the time when I picked my surgery, I had no regrets about VSG. However, I developed severe GERD a few years after my VSG, and had to have a revision to bypass. Had I known that acid (which happens to 10 - 15% of patients as far as I know) could require a revision, I probably would have had RNY in the first place.

on 10/15/19 9:40 am
Topic: RE: Exercise and Hunger Increase (strategies?)

I experience this sometimes, and it's most often if I don't have something good before my workout. Even though the best general strategy after WLS is "high protein, low carb," I have the best luck with some slow-burning carbs before a LONG workout. For days when I do a long swim (2000m+) or bike ride (20mi+), I eat half a container of overnight steel-cut oats made with protein shake instead of milk, or half of a whole-grain English muffin with peanut butter-- something that will stick with me.

I also tend to get that ravenous feeling if I'm not properly hydrated. Drinking lots is good, and I've recently started using electrolyte tabs (Nuun) which seem to help a lot.

on 10/5/19 8:32 pm
Topic: RE: Managing postHeeeelp!

To set up the weight tracker, go here:

https://www.obesityhelp.com/manage/tickers/

When you click the pink plus sign in the top right corner of the site, pick "log weight." The site uses that data to populate the ticker.

on 10/2/19 8:57 pm
Topic: RE: can somebody heeeeeelp.lol

Are you logging your weight? (Click the plus sign in the top-right corner of the nav bar, then "log weight.") Without that, there's no data to populate the ticker.

on 10/2/19 8:40 am
Topic: RE: heeeeeelp

Individual daily measurements can be really tricky; sometimes the scale hops around and it can be misleading. Look at the long-term trends rather than the individual measurements.

I use Trendweight and like it a lot. It takes each day's weigh-in and smooths it out to get a more accurate picture of your weight loss. The only issue is that it was a little confused that I lost a bunch of weight immediately after surgery, so its estimation is a couple of pounds higher than the scale, but that's not too bad.

https://trendweight.com/u/2b49315fafac40/

on 9/30/19 1:57 pm
Topic: RE: 5 weeks out, very slow going.

Most people lose a lot of weight in the first few weeks, have a bit of a stall, and then the weight loss slows down to a pound or two per week. The rapid loss does not sustain itself and most folks take 9 - 12 months to reach goal.

Search this site for "3 week stall," most people experience a slowdown at the end of the first month.

What are you eating right now? How many calories?

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 215 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views