Drinking Before/After

JB1114
on 7/15/16 11:06 am - Grain Valley, MO

In the beginning (8 years ago) I stopped drinking 30 minutes before eating a meal and didn't drink for 30 minutes afterwards.  I still wait 30 minutes after a meal because it makes sense that the food would be washed out and if I drink too soon after eating a meal I'm in pain.

However, now I drink up until I start to eat a meal.  What do you do?  Is there a reason I should stop drinking 30 minutes before eating? 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

MyLady Heidi
on 7/18/16 12:10 am

Not sure where you think the food will get washed out to?  There is no reason to not drink right up until you eat and honestly I believe my success is due to always having sipped as needed with meals, I eat small meals and stop when I feel full and I don't ever feel hunger.  I spend my entire life drinking calorie free iced tea with lemon or lemon water and have been at goal for 11 years.

Good Luck.

JB1114
on 7/18/16 8:38 am - Grain Valley, MO

Well, MyLady Heidi, I was told in my first surgeon visit and for the last 8 years that if you drink while eating a meal, the food washes out of the pouch; therefore, you get hungry sooner.  You are definitely a success having been at goal for 11 years and I applaud you for that.  For several year I stopped drinking 30 minutes before a meal, but now I drin****il I start to eat. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Boxerlover3452
on 7/18/16 4:03 pm
RNY on 06/06/16

I too was told the same thing.  But then I've read on here from several people that they drink right up to eating their meal and some wait 30 minutes, some wait 60 minutes after.  I get sick to the point of vomiting if I drink too soon after I eat.  My surgeon and the dieticians told me to stop drinking 30 minutes prior and wait 30 minutes after. 

Insert Fitness
on 8/11/16 8:40 am

My surgery date is September 8. I was told they no longer require you to stop drinking 30 minutes before your meal. You can drink right up to the meal.

waiting 30 minutes after the meal remains the same.

NYMom222
on 10/1/16 11:46 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I have always drank right up to a meal, and wait 30 minutes after.

I don't tnink there is any reason to stop drinking 30 minutes before, it doesn't take that long for liquid to pass out of your pouch

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

catwoman7
on 10/2/16 4:34 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I was told to stop drinking thirty minutes before a meal for the first few weeks after surgery, but once I was at my three-month appt, they told me I could start drinking right up to a meal, but then wait sixty minutes after instead of thirty.  Maybe because I was eating solid food then?  Not sure.  But I'm still doing that.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

White Dove
on 10/2/16 4:07 pm - Warren, OH

What someone told me is they used to think fat people were not smart enough to remember it was after meals so they said before and after to make it easy.  There is no reason not to drin****il you eat your first bite.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Momofthreeinwis
on 11/10/16 9:27 am
VSG on 05/04/16

The  "New" advice I have been hearing at the support group is you can drink up until you eat.  The only reason not to is if you are filling up on liquids and then eating as much as you should.  They still advise not drinking until about 30 min after you eat.

AggieMae
on 1/16/17 11:03 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I'm just 12 weeks post op and was told I could drink right up till I start eating and needed to wait 30 minutes after. They showed us a video of what happened to food in your sleeve if you drink with your meal. I washes through to your intestines. Once your sleeve is empty there is immediately room for more food. 

If I had to wait a 1/2 before eating that would be another 2 hours that I could drink. I don't think I could manage  get in all my water if I lost 2 hours.

Most Active
Recent Topics