Please help me!

KimMM
on 8/29/17 9:37 am - APO, NY

I am 11 years out from an RNY. I lost 100% of my extra weight and kept it off for about nine years. I have had several surgeries, chronic pain issues, and have lost my exercise mojo. I have gained 20 pounds. I went to a surgeon (not my original, because I now live in a different country...but a reputable one.) The first words out of his mouth were "do you eat sugar?" And I answered yes. He told me to cut all sugar, check lanels to keep it under 5%, not drink fejit juices or eat sried fruit (fresh was fine) and all the weight would come off. That was in May. I have followed that to a T, and have lost between none and three pounds (depending on the day). I eat healthy, and don't graze, and I am so FRUSTRATED!!!! I habe started wearing my fitbit again, and have been gettig about 7000-7500 steps in a day, and this weight is not shifting. I'm really depressed. I have a closet full of nice clothes I can't wear. I realize to some twenty poinds sounds like no big deal, but it is when you've worked as hard as I have. I have been totally vigilant. The doc told me not to count calories, eat protein and fat--just cut sugar. Since I cut the sugar, my digestive system has improved--I was having terrible bloating, pain, diarreah, and sometimes terrible bowel urgency issues. That's stopped, except for some bloating. Can anyone advise me??? I asked the doc, what if I do this and the weight doesn't come off? He assured me that it would. Ugggh! Thank,you for taking the time to read this post, and especially to those *****spond.

NANNY13
on 9/3/17 6:14 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

Start tracking everything!

protein 80-100 grams a day

water 64 oz +++ a day

Weigh and measure EVERYTHING even sauces ketchup whatever

Keep track of all the following: help detect whatever sabotage is going on

Protein Calories Carbs Fats and Sugars

Do this for 3 - 5 days and leave nothing out. And then we can all help and give you feedback on any sabotage that may be going on.

If it were me I would be guzzling down at

least 2 gallons of water per day and straight up 2-3 oz portions of meat chicken and fish. I would not be drinkng within 1 hour of eating before or after. Calories ARE going to matter so make sure you track those.

an cut out all carbs for the next 5 days and let's see what we have. Weigh yourself daily and measue yourself the first day. Let's get this weight off of you!

kio
on 9/5/17 7:49 pm
RNY on 09/08/17

Your surgeon's advice sounds really good, but maybe not complete. Cutting sugar is great, but a lot of things count as "sugar" that you won't find on a label. Bread, pasta, potatoes, all of these are made of simple sugars and turn into sugar as soon as they hit your blood stream. Have you cut those out as well?

It sounds like your surgeon is advocating a low-carb, high-protein diet, and that's generally under 30 carbohydrates a day for weight loss.

Lizzieanne
on 9/17/17 9:23 am
VSG on 10/02/14

HI Kim

I am in the same boat. I had sleeve surgery 3 years ago this October and lost 90 lbs. Over the past year I have gained back 13 pounds and my sugar addiction is really strong again. When I have gone back to eating 60 + grams protein, 35 g and under carbs, and 5 % or less sugar, the weight drops easily. I am just having problems sticking to it for longer than a week. I have a feeling that though you are eating low sugar, you are still eating too many calories. Try eating like you have been, but counting calories with the goal of 800 calories a day. I guarantee you will lose weight.

All of my beautiful size 8 pants are too tight and I refuse to buy bigger sizes. I feel like that is giving in to becoming obese again and I refuse to be that weight again.

Let's do this together !

HW:230. Surgery: 10/02/14. SW:220. CW:198 

Lukiki99
on 9/29/17 10:39 am

Make that three of us! I am 12 years out from RNY and regained 30 lbs, which I am miserable about. I will follow the advice here. I know I have been non-compliant and grazing...eating way too much sugar and not enough water. Have even gone back to diet soft drinks.

It's time to get back on plan! Anybody else want to join us?

Sherry T.
on 11/12/17 8:55 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

I may be late to the party but if you girls are still focusing on this, I am seriously needing to get a fresh start. I'm 5 years out and have gained 40 lbs ....new job, lots of stress and no exercise, death of a spouse, death o f my mom.....my physical and mental health are suffering...I was a ball of energy 3 years ago......I miss it and I want to rectify before I gain anymore and totally undue what I've worked so hard in the beginning to do!! I will be checking in daily and getting on track!! Daily menus would even help because I know i'm overeating and drinking...water is a distant thing...but i'm starting tomorrow!! Thank you!! Sherry

Lukiki99
on 11/28/17 12:51 pm

So sorry to hear off all of your life changes and sad events......I think it does contribute to lack of focus in myself, as well.

I admit I have yet to get back on the wagon as expressed previously on this thread. Sherry, if you're still around maybe we can visit this page daily and those of us with an interest may communicate here.

Any takers?

Linda W.
on 12/22/17 4:40 pm - Clearlake, CA

I'm a month late, but these stories sound like my story. How can we all be so compliant for years, and then stumble when life throws these curve balls at us? We have all worked hard to get rid of the extra pounds and improve our lives, only to lose it all when we hit those rough spots. My first reaction was to start the negativity again - berating myself, insulting myself, etc. I am much harder on myself than pretty much everyone else.

Now I just want to return to following the rules, down to the letter, because I know it works. It's kind of like AA - it works if you work it.

So, beginning immediately, no more sugar, potatoes, pasta, rice, or bread. Protein with every meal. plenty of water. No grazing. It's not going to be easy, but it's worth it. I'm worth it.

Linda    
mom_32
on 12/29/17 4:58 pm

Hello Everyone ,

Your stories sounds like mine , I have gained back some of my weight . I am a mother of 3 and lost focus of my health . I was addicted to soda , I would drink 2-3 a day because it would give me energy. I didn't even notice until I tried putting some clothes and it wouldn't fit . I was depressed for a while about it because I am so drained and don't have time to work out . I decided to research and look into some weight loss program which did not help a bit . I was so frustrated and I finally decided to do what I use to do which was detox and then start my weight loss . I didn't even focus on what scale said , I am just focus on how I look and how I feel . I now am starting to feel myself again. Being healthy is a lifestyle and it take dedication , I am down to get a group together to share our journey and success stories .

jacreasy
on 1/16/18 3:05 pm
VSG on 04/23/12

Hello,

Ill be 6 yrs PO in April 2018 Somehow I lost a year bc I was thinking it was 5 lol. Im struggling with regain of 35-40 lbs (it was 20 lbs) I was going to the gym 6 days a week for 3.5 years had surgery on my knee in 2015 couldn't go for 5 months and lost all motivation. I know what I need to do but cant seem to do it. I fail pretty much everyday. I could give advice all day but doing it myself seems so hard right now. My clothes are tight and I dont like the feeling. I need to go back to basics and probably go to support group as well. Do you track macros? If so can you tell me what yours are right now I try to stay at 1100 cal, under 50 fat, 80+ protein, 2300 sod, less that 160 carbs which probably seems like a lot. I do eat a lot of fruit and veggies but added starchy bad carbs as well. What are sample meals you cook or eat and do you do snacks? Sorry for so many questions I just need to find something that works or Im going to weigh 346 lbs again. I will NOT let that happen so Ive got to fix that now.

WE CAN DO THIS!!

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

Most Active
Recent Topics