Kathy S.’s Posts

Kathy S.
on 3/14/07 9:50 am
Topic: RE: One Week at the gym working with PT. One woman's story
Dear Diary... For my 50th birthday this year, my husband purchased a week of personal training at the local health club for me. Although I was doing pretty well maintaining I had put a few pounds on.  I decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and give it a try. I called the club and made my reservations with a personal trainer Named Joe, who identified himself as a 26-year-old aerobics instructor and model for athletic clothing and swim wear. My husband seemed pleased with my enthusiasm to get started! The club encouraged me to keep a diary to chart my progress... MONDAY Started my day at 6:00 a.m. Tough to get out of bed, but found it was Well worth it when I arrived at the health club to find Joe waiting for me. He is something of a Greek god - with blond hair, dancing eyes and a dazzling white smile. Woo Hoo!! Joe gave me a tour and showed me the machines. He took my pulse after Five minutes on the treadmill. He was alarmed that my pulse was so fast, but I attribute it to standing next to him in his Lycra aerobic outfit. I enjoyed watching the skillful way in which he conducted his aerobics class after my workout today.. Very inspiring! Joey was encouraging as I did my sit-ups, although my gut was already aching from holding it in the whole time he was around. This is going to be a FANTASTIC week!! TUESDAY I drank a whole pot of coffee, but I finally made it out the door. Joe Made me lie on my back and push a heavy iron bar into the air -- then he put weights on it! My legs were a little wobbly on the treadmill, but I made the full mile. Joey's rewarding smile made it all worthwhile. I feel GREAT!! It's a whole new life for me. WEDNESDAY The only way I can brush my teeth is by laying the toothbrush on the counter and moving my mouth back and forth over it. I believe I have a hernia in both pectorals. Driving was OK as long as I didn't try to steer or stop. I parked on top of a GEO in the club parking lot. Joe was impatient with me, insisting that my screams bothered other Club members.  His voice is a little early in the morning and when he scolds, he gets this nasally whine that is VERY annoying. My chest hurt when I got on the treadmill, so Joe put me on the stair monster. Why the hell would anyone invent a machine to simulate an activity rendered obsolete by elevators?  Joe told me it would help me get in shape and enjoy life. He said some other crap too. THURSDAY Joe was waiting for me with his vampire-like teeth exposed as his thin, cruel lips were pulled back in a full snarl. I couldn't help being a half an hour late, it took me that long to tie my shoes.  Joe took me to work out with dumbbells. When he was not looking, I ran and hid in the ladies room. He sent Muffy to find me. Then, as punishment, he put me on the rowing machine -- which I sank. FRIDAY I hate that @#$%, Joe, more than any human being has ever hated any Other human being in the history of the world. Stupid, skinny, anemic little cheerleader. If there was a part of my body I could move without Unbearable pain, I would beat him with it. Joe wanted me to work on my triceps. I don't have any triceps! And if you don't want dents in the floor, don't hand me the **** barbells or anything that weighs more than a sandwich.  The treadmill flung me off and I landed on a health and nutrition teacher.  Why couldn't it have been someone softer, like the drama coach or the choir director? SATURDAY Joe left a message on my answering machine in his grating, shrilly Voice wondering why I did not show up today. Just hearing him made me want to smash the machine with my planner. However, I lacked the strength to even use the TV remote and ended up catching eleven straight hours of the Weather Channel. SUNDAY I'm having the Church van pick me up for services today so I can go and thank GOD that this week is over. I will also pray that next year my husband will choose a gift for me that is fun -- like a root canal or a hysterectomy.
Kathy S.
on 11/10/06 8:27 am
Topic: RE: Leaving the boards. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Wow this is going to be hard!!! You all have been my family for several years and I KNOW I would not be where I am today without each and everyone of you!!!! I take pride in giving back, I live for it and had hoped I could find a job where I could help those of us that are going through the journey, but it was not to be...... I have let each and everyone of you down as I have not been keeping my profile up to date and my PS pics. The reason my friends is right now my life is falling apart and I just can't give my time here as I want to. The list is long and I won't get into it but the last straw was my husband lost his job (he loses jobs like we change undies) and there goes the insurance that was paying for my PS. It was a miracle they paid what they did and I am thankful. I was to have my last surgery this Dec 5th. I now need to find a job ASAP so we won't lose our home. The irony of it was we just refinanced at a much higher rate (I didn't want to) so the payments will be hard to meet. But that is neither here nor there and not your problem. If you are pre-op and or newbies, please take to heart my last words of wisdom.......DO NOT CHEAT!!!! Follow the rules for eating, and you will loose. Moving/Exercising is the key to getting it off and keeping it off !!!! Start early and you will be glad you do. You are sooooo special and you DESERVE this!!! Do ya hear me? You are worth it my friends!!! You deserve the BEST LIFE has to offer! if you are post op and have lost your weight, you guys ROCK!!! You have kept me on my toes and inspired me to be the best I can be. If you are having a hard time with some pounds coming back, MOVE TO LOOSE I had to say that one more time. I love you all so very much and once I find a way out of this nightmare called my life, I will be back, I need all of you in my life.. YES, we are a disfunctional family at times LOL . And some have tempers tantrums, but this disfunctional family is my disfuntional family and I love each and everyone of you!!! Take care, Kathy 330/120
Kathy S.
on 9/27/06 10:20 am
Topic: RE: Low Blood sugar issues 2 years out...
Hey Darlin, I know you have been to hell and back and still going to visit... Try the tablets, I don't think you would dump on them. I know it's hard for you to eat. Here is the nut info on them: They are called Glucose Tablets and come in oragne and raspberry. I called them sugar pills but they really have low sugar in them but work GREAT! Cals for one tablet 15 Fat 0 Carbs 4 Sugars 4 I don't dump on these as they are very low. As soon as they melt in my mouth I start to feel better. You can get them at any store like WalGreens.... Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/27/06 10:18 am
Thanks Kathy, Great info....I am trying to eat every 2-3 hours and stay away from sugar and white carbs. Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/27/06 10:16 am
Hi Joni, Oh boy, I get to use this as an excuse for being crabby LOL It sounds like we do have an issue here. Try the tablets they work great!!! They are called Glucose Tablets and come in oragne and raspberry. I called them sugar pills but they really have low sugar in them but work GREAT! Here is the nut info: Cals for one tablet 15 Fat 0 Carbs 4 Sugars 4 I don't dump on these as they are very low. As soon as they melt in my mouth I start to feel better. You can get them at any store like WalGreens.... Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/27/06 10:13 am
Hi Dana, I will give them a try...I know if I let it go to far then they don't help at all. See the tablets work really fast. Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/27/06 10:11 am
Hi Molly, Well, I am sorry to hear you are having the same thing happen. Once I get the shakes and sweats then I get weird too. I find the pills the doctor recommended works better than food. They are called Glucose Tablets and come in oragne and raspberry. I called them sugar pills but they really have low sugar in them but work GREAT! Here is the nut info: Cals for one tablet 15 Fat 0 Carbs 4 Sugars 4 I don't dump on these as they are very low. As soon as they melt in my mouth I start to feel better. You can get them at any store like WalGreens.... Good luck! Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/27/06 10:07 am
Hi Willow, No, I had not seen that article. I really want to see it. I am so mad that they people I have been working with do not make us more aware of these side effects so we can be prepared.... grrrrr Thanks for sending me the article. I would love go to the walk Saturday but we have to get ready and head to FL. My DH's father is not doing well and we are going to have to put him in a nursing home. First my Aunt now my father in law. Getting old sucks!!!! Take care, kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/26/06 10:40 am
Thanks Deb for the suggestion... I had a spell here and there but it's getting so I can't do anythng... What surprises me is when it happens 20 mins after eating a meal? Hello....LOL I will make some snack sacks and let ya know if it helps. Thanks again!!! Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/26/06 10:05 am
Topic: RE: Denise Gaston How are You??
Thanks Tooter for the info......are you planning on getting there Thursday or Friday? I am getting there Thursday and I think Charlie is going to try and arrive Thursday as well..... See ya there !!!! Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/26/06 10:03 am
Hi Grads, I am developing serious low blood sugar issues and the more I talk to those of us 2 years out the more I find we are having this issue. Did you find around 2 years you had more and more spells where you were shaky and hot and almost passed out? I find this happens to me even after a meal. My Dr. said to buy sugar pills and eat every 2 hours and more complex carbs. I am finding this to be really hard to do and fear leaving the house.... Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/14/06 11:54 am
Topic: RE: thursday check in....
Oh Steph, You crack me up girl....I can't dance either but going to try it. I would love to be able to ballroom dance like on Dancing with the Stars, but there is NO WAY I could dance in high heels...I don't know how they do it...... Enjoy the evening Steph. I am going to bed early Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/14/06 11:44 am
Topic: RE: thursday check in....
Hey Steph, You know what they say we can't pick our family LOL Well, I did great today up to the last few mins UGH..... Breakfast - Protein supp Workout at the gym - 3 miles on treadmill, Core class Snack - Protein Fruit smoothie Lunch - deviled eggs Snack - LF string cheese, handful of almonds Dinner - veggie, port stir fry Snack - 1/3 cup of ice cream I may have nore than 5 pounds to lose after that ice cream.... See ya tomorrow! ps....I ran ho****er on the rest of the icecream, chuckle, chuckle....going, going, gone
Kathy S.
on 9/14/06 11:39 am
Topic: RE: Those Stinkin Carbs!
You are so right Cathy, they are so addictive!!!! Icecream is the worst for me.... Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/14/06 4:37 am
Hi Pat, Oh those vacations Don't we just love them You are right Pat, we have gotten so smart. We know exactly what put the weight on us now....where as before we just made excuses and turned the other way while we bought larger and larger size clothes. Great job getting those 12 lbs off. It's not easy is it!!! Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/14/06 4:34 am
Hi Sue, I so agree with you!!!! I wouldn't lose with eating so many carbs. I have to almost delete them from my diet to maintain. As you said eating just one doesn't do it for most of us. When I do eat carbs I try to do complex carbs... Good for you for getting off that merry go round and going back to what you know works for you. Good luck and we are here for you!!! We need each other Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/14/06 4:28 am
Hi Amber, I find if I graze throughout the day (yes I know that is no no but works for me) I am not hungry and or crave carbs. For it to work though you have to have "good" food on hand. When I get back to basics here is an example of what I eat in a day..... Breakfast - Oatmeal with LF milk and Vanilla Whey Protein Snack - deviled egg or apple with peanut butter, or a handful of almonds Lunch - salad with Trader Joe's NF dressing with shirmp Snack - Protein fruit smoothie Dinner - protien like fish, grilled chicken, shrimp and veggies Snack - LF cheese, String cheese, When I am body building then I get into trouble if I don't increase my cals so I then add complex carbs, like high fiber bagels, sweet potatoes, carbs that are low in the sugar index and takes a long time to process..... I also add a protein drink in my daily food, wheat pasta and a good high fiber snack I pop one of those LF mini bags of popcorn. Try increasing your protein and water, it really does help with the craving..... Good luck!! I am down 3 lbs today so it works when we say no. But saying no is so very hard isn't it? Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/13/06 11:44 pm
Hi Peggy, One thing I have to say for us is at least we are not in denial as before. We say "stop" at some point and not let it get out of control. In the past I would have not been getting on the scale, just looked the other way and those sweat pants can hide a ton of weight. And before we knew it we had put on so much weight we said forget it. So, kudos to us for not letting it get to the point of no return..... And you are so right, I do feel so much better without carbs in my body Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/13/06 11:40 pm
Hi Wendy, That is what I am learning as well. The difference between carbs and complex carbs. It really is the key, but hard. Someone suggested using the chart that shows the sugar content of carbs and the lower ones are the ones we need to eat.... This is so hard But we can do it Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/13/06 11:38 pm
Hi Tracy, I had been doing so well then this emoitional stres**** me. I forgot how I turn to those carbs when my heart is hurting.... They are calling my name this morning and I am not going to listen !!! Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/13/06 11:36 pm
Hey Deb, Do you notice you don't feel as good either? I really do not feel as well and energic as when I was not eating lots of carbs. The protein, veggies and fruit really does give us that extra kick.... Back to the basics, water, protein, water, protein. If I say it enough maybe it will sink in Take care, Kath
Kathy S.
on 9/13/06 11:34 pm
Hi Dana, What is so funny is I didn't want to eat bread, pasta and such and everyone said you are getting to skinny eat carbs. Well, I forgot the difference between carbs and complex carbs. Getting back to the gym really helped.... After working out that hard the last thing you want to do is come home and undo the work..... We can do it, we can do it, we can do it. Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/13/06 11:34 am
Topic: RE: wednesday check in...
Hi Steph, Ok, I am here.....I take it you guys are posting what you eat.... so here goes. I am trying to back off the carbs and up the exercise. Breakfast - Oatmeal with Whey Vanilla Protein Snack - Apple with peanut butter Lunch - Protein Fruit smoothie Snack - devil egg Dinner - Turkey sausage, veggie pizza Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 9/13/06 11:31 am
Hi Everyone, Well Steph told me to come here and vent about carbs...she said you guys would understand. I am just 2 years out and have really been down, with putting my Aunt in a nursing home and while I was gone I lost my surgery angel, my dog Spike. He was only 11 and just laid down and died. I noticed I was eating a bite of this and that and bread and chips and I went from 115 to 121. Now 120 was line drawn in the sand....and I am working on getting back down a few pounds. What amazes me is how fast they creep up on us. Geez, ok, I know better.... I have a sign on my fridge reminding me I Hate Carbs and I am going back to the gym... Those sneaky, stinkin, nasty, ugly, anti skinny jeans carbs have got to go LOL Enjoy the evening Take care, Kathy
Kathy S.
on 8/21/06 3:33 am
Topic: RE: Exercise, where do I begin?
Hi Everyone, I am so excited!!! As most of you know I am the Richard Simmons of the OH board when it comes to exercise. I know this is the key to our success short and long term. The number one response and or question I get is "Where do I begin"? Please click on the link below and it will take you to our new Work Out Forum. This is a link to a Beginner Level Resistance Training Program. http://obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,8431/mode,content/ So if you find a few of those nasty pounds are creepy back on the hips then now is the time to "MOVE TO LOSE and or MAINTAIN":thumbsup: Take care, Kathy 330/115
Most Active
Recent Topics