Kathy S.’s Posts

Kathy S.
on 3/31/09 1:49 am
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today?
Hey Everyone 

It's a rainy Tuesday here.....no problem as these showers will bring spring here and I love it when all things dead and brown come alive with color and green grass again 

I think it's time to mix it up a bit and I am really lovin the workout where you pick several exercises and do several sets with out stopping.  It's a great way to get your cardio in.  I am doing some back and shoulder work but not sure what...  Sometimes I just mix it up when I get there. 

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose and or Maintain Today?  Come on in and be accountable   Your moving is just as important as what you eat.  Pre-ops, Newbies and Veterans are all welcome    Posting your exercise is a way to share with others and take a bow for what you did.  And if you have not worked out yet, it helps you be accountable to do so before the day is out

Let's get MOVIN 

81 DAYS BEFORE SUMMER

Take care,
Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 3/30/09 6:54 am
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today? Blah, blah, blah
Hey Cath,

Sounds like you need one of these tables where they would pull you by your feet and arms.  Take care of your back and hopefully you wlll back to your old self soon

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/30/09 2:40 am
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today? Blah, blah, blah
Hey Everyone 

Well the only movin I did this weekend was from the bed to the bathroom    I got up Saturday feeling pretty good and then BAM, right after breakfast i thought I was dumping on my oatmeal    but hours later I realized it was not dumping...so I was a slug this weekend...

I am pretty weak today, I hope to get in some cardio at the end of the day today, but going to play it by ear 

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose and or Maintain Today?  Come on and let's get this show on the road....if you are shoveling my heart goes out to you.  Be careful but this is a great workout 

82 DAYS LEFT BEFORE SUMMER 

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/26/09 1:45 am
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today? Weak Knees - Try These......
We all know the first to go are our knees with all the extra weight we carried around.  Many have asked what can I do exercise wise with bad knees  Here are some great suggestions from SparkPeople. 

Here are some exercises you can do to both stretch and strengthen the knee area:

STRETCHES
  1. Chair knee extension: Sitting in a chair, rest your foot on another chair so the knee is slightly raised. Gently push the raised knee toward the floor using only leg muscles. Hold for 5 - 10 seconds and release. Repeat 5 times on each leg.
  2. Heel slide knee extension: Lie on your back, with left knee bent and left foot flat on floor. Slowly slide the left heel away from your body so both legs are parallel. Hold for 5-10 seconds, return to starting position. Repeat 5 times on each leg.
  3. Knee flexion: Sitting in a chair, loop a long towel under your foot (resting on the floor). Gently pull on the towel with both hands to bend the knee, raising your foot 4 - 5 inches off the floor. Hold for 5 - 10 seconds, then release. Repeat 5 times on each leg.
  4. Hamstring stretch: Standing, put one foot in front of you, toes up. With hands on the small of your back (or one hand holding a chair for balance), bend the opposite knee and hip (not your lower back****il you feel the hamstrings stretch. The upper body comes forward at the hip. Hold for 5 -10 seconds, then release. Repeat 5 times on each leg.
STRENGTH TRAINING
  1. Wall slide: Leaning with your back against a wall, bend your knees 30°, sliding down the wall, then straighten up again. Move slowly and smoothly, using your hands on the wall for balance. Keep feet and legs parallel, and do not allow knees to go out over the toes. Repeat 5 -10 times.
  2. Bent-Leg Raises: Sitting in a chair, straighten one leg in the air (without locking the knee). Hold for about one minute. Bend your knee to lower the leg about halfway to the floor. Hold for 30 seconds. Return to starting position. Work up to 4 reps on each leg.
  3. Straight-Leg Raises: Sitting in a chair, rest your foot on another chair. Lift the foot a few inches off the chair while keeping your leg straight. Hold for 5 -10 seconds. Return to resting position. Repeat 5 -10 times. (Also work on increasing the time, up to 2-3 minutes if possible.)
  4. Abductor Raise: Lie on your side, propped on one elbow. The leg on the floor bent, the other straight. Slowly lift the top leg, hold for 5 -10 seconds, then lower. (Ankle weights will increase the intensity). Do 1-3 sets with 12-15 repetitions each. Remember to rest in between sets.
  5. Hamstring Curl: Stand with the front of your thighs against a surface (a table or wall). Flex one knee up as far as is comfortable. Hold for 5 - 10 seconds, then lower slowly. If possible, do not touch the floor between repetitions. (Ankle weights will increase the intensity.) Do 1-3 sets with 12-15 repetitions each. Remember to rest in between sets.
  6. Step-Ups: Stand in front of a step, like a sturdy bench or stairs, about two feet high (or less if necessary). Step up onto the support, straighten your knees fully (without locking them) and step down. Maintain a steady pace. If you are comfortable with your balance, pump your arms while doing this exercise. Start with 1 minute, slowly building your time. Gets your heart pumping too!
  7. Stationary Bike: Biking is a good way to increase strength and range of motion. Make sure you have the right positioning of the legs. At the bottom of the pedal stroke, the bend in the knee should be 15 degrees. Start with 10 minutes and slowly increase your time.
Depending on your current level of activity and mobility, a good start is 3 stretching and 3 strengthening exercises, 3-4 times a week. Stretching can be (and should be) done everyday if possible to prevent stiffness and achy joints. These stretches can be done a few times a day if needed.

Here is the link for the complete article:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=363

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose Today?  Come on, it's almost the weekend, let's wrap up the week with a bang 

Take  care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/24/09 11:34 pm
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today? Metabolic Training
Hey, Hey, Hey, 

The sun is shining and it's hump day    It was so windy last night I need to go out and see if I have any trees or bushes left  

When we did our leg workout yesterday we did it in a style called Metabolic Training.  We set up 4 stations and did 4 leg workouts, 10 reps each, then I rested as my son did his round.  We did this 4 times.  I was huffing and puffing and sweating like crazy.  Not only was this a great leg workout it was an awesome cardio workout in a very short time frame. 

If you are at home you can set up a round of Metabolic Training....  Let's take my arm workout today and adjust it for you to do a Metabolic Training at home....

What I am doing at the gym....

Standing Alternating Curl
Kneeling Kickback
Incline Curl
Single Arm Tri Rotation
Barbell Curl
Hammer

What you can do at home.....

Take barbells if you have some, if not then use canned food. Do a set of 10 bicep curls standing, 10 bicep curls sitting, 10 hammers and lastly use a chair and do 10 dips......rest for about 60 secs and do it all over again 4 times     Use a weight that is challenging but not to heavy.  If you find you can up your weight the next round do so. If you don't have weights at home move up from a can of soup to a big can of peaches....

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose and or Maintain Today?  Come on , the weekend is around the corner...let's get moving 

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 3/24/09 12:54 am
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today?
Hey Everyone 

Today is leg day, won't be able to walk for a couple of days  

Day 3 - Legs

Leg Extension 8x8
Individual Leg Curl
Lunge w/kickback
Leg Press
Calf Raise
So my friends, did you Move to Lose and or Maintain Today?  Come on you can do it

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/23/09 2:05 am
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today? Are you ready for Summer?

That is a great combo of cardio and strength training..

So my friend, how much have you lost to day?

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/23/09 12:20 am
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today? Are you ready for Summer?
Hey Everyone 

Do you believe that March is almost gone and we are headed into April?  I am excited as we are one more month closer to summer, sun, the smell of freshly cut grass, cooking out (veggies and fish of course) and showing off all the weight you have lost  That being said I am glad we have a good 2 1/2 months to kick it in high gear if you are working out.    Cardio, Cardio, Cardio, with resistance and we are on our way    If you are not working out you have 13 weeks before the first day of Summer.  Do you know how much difference you can make in 13 weeks  

So come on, pre-ops and newbies get movin..even if it's walking around the store using the cart.  Go outside and take it one block at a time.  If you are already working out now is the time to re-evaluate and ramp it up

Today is a cardio day for me and I will be hitting the bag, mixing it with core work.

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose Today?  Come on in and let's be accountable, feel good about what we have accomplished today and inspire others to do the same

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/20/09 2:42 am
Topic: RE: Did You Move To Lose Today? For Women Only!
Hey Everyone    Happy Friday  ...

I got an email update from Sparkpeople today and it had an article in it that I wanted to address here in our Move To Lose thread...  

If you are a woman and suffering really bad cramps during your periods, or if you are older and Menopausal, are you aware of the positive benefits with exercising? 

It's a fact that when you exercise it can help with monthly cramps and it's a great asset helping with hot flashes and hormone issues.  If you want to read more here are a couple of great articles:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=438

http://women.webmd.com/features/exercise-eases-menstrual-cramps

Today is a cardio day for me, I won't have access to a car so I will hit the basement either do 3 miles on the treadmill or cardio boxing.

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose and or Maintain Today?  Come on in and be accountable, share and inspire others to Move To Lose

Stay Sexy, Sassy and Strong 

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 3/19/09 1:37 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - First Day Of Spring Is Here!
Hey, Hey, Hey , do you believe it's here......Spring   

It seems like just yesterday we all said yes let's do this, let's get back on track with our exercise, let's get our sexy back    Did you get your sexy back  

This goes to show you how fast time goes when  you are focused on a challenge.  For me the scale didn't move as much as I wanted, but I know I have made progress.  I am feeling stronger, inspired to do more and I shocked myself.  When I went back and reviewed my sets and amount of weights, I found I have increased by a whopping 40%    I also learned in the process that I don't push myself like I should. Even now, so far out I underestimate what I can do.  If it were not for me working out with my son I would not have imagined I could accomplish what I did.  

So lesson learned even this far out, we still think in terms of  a "fat" person.   We need to do away with that kind of thinking and push ourselves on a daily basis.  Rather it's in our personal lives, or professional. 

YOU CAN DO IT  

Congratulations everyone that participated in this challenge.  YOU ROCK  

Now if you think you are off the hook and can relax, no way   Summer is coming and we have work to do!!!!  So look for the Move To Lose Thread Daily and let's get going  

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/17/09 12:43 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - Happy St. Patty's Day!
Happy St. Patty's Day Everyone 

If you are going to the bars tonight or a friends house for a St. Patty's celebration..make good food choices and head off the extra calories with a great workout...

Today is chest workout for me....

Day 1 - Chest

Exercise

Barbell Bench

Incline Barbell Bench

Cable Flye

Decline Bench

Hammer Low Press

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose and or Maintain Today?  Come on in and share with us how you are going to prepare exercise wise to burn those extra calories today.

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 3/16/09 1:24 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - Last few days!!
Can you believe it?  Spring will be here this week    We only have a few days left for the Spring Fling Challenge  Let's make the most of it 

Today is a cardio day for me....  I am taking Rocky for a walk later, (now he has to sniff every blade of grass and pee on every tree) so that is not a very good cardio workout    So with it being so darn nice here today and tomorrow I am going to get the bike out and dust off the cobwebs, pump the tires and  hit the roads.....

So my friends, what are you doing today to Move To Lose and or Maintain Today?  Come on, you can do it!!!!

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/14/09 12:38 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - Weekend Blast!
Hey Everyone 

Happy Weekend   I usually veg on the weekend but missed a couple of workouts during the week.  So it's makeup time for Kathy   

Today

3 sets of 15
barbell bench press
cable flye
standing lateral raise
standing shoulder press
triceps rope press down
triceps dip

Sunday

3 sets of 15
smith machine squat
dumbbell lunge
lying hamstring curl
dumbbell stiff-legged dead lift

So my friends, are you going to Move To Lose this weekend?  Come on in and be accountable, inspire and share  We count everything, shopping, gardening, cleaning house...just so you are MOVIN!!!

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/13/09 12:22 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - It's Abs Day!
Happy Friday Everyone 

I am so glad this week is over    It was just a bad week all around, you name it and it went wrong...that being said I know there are a lot of people suffering out there and my  heart goes out to each and everyone of them  

My food has not been that great this week and I missed a couple of workouts but I am going to make up for it during the weekend    

Today is ABs day baby!!

4 sets of 12
Twisting bench crunch
Toes to ceiling crunch
Reverse crunch
Bench V ups
Bicycles
Cable rope pull downs

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose and or Maintain Today?  Let's finish the week strong and look foward to the weekend    Come on in and be accoutable, inspire and brag, brag, brag...

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/12/09 12:46 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - Get Your Sexy Back!
Hey Everyone 

Sorry, I lost my Internet service yesterday and been on the phone with the tech dudes and nothing, so I am at my sons place.  Needless to say I am going to take the day off for exercise....but that means I will be working out and finishing up my week during the weekend...

How is the challenge going for you?  It's been about a month and now is the time to take a moment and to review your routine.  Are you pushing yourself?  Are you walking out the gym feeling like you got hit by a truck?  No pain, but sore, sore, sore.... 

Are you increasing the sets/weight?  If you are walking or running have you increase the distance and speed?  Now is the time to sit down and evaluate and ramp it up

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose Today and or Maintain?  Come on in and be accountable, share and inspire 

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/10/09 12:33 am
Good Morning Everyone 

It's cold, grey and raining out......it could be worst....cold, grey and snowing out 

Today is a ramped up core day....I was reading this and emailed my son, yea right 

Day 4 - Core

Circuit Perform entire circuit with no rest, at conclusion, rest 1: and repeat 4x

Rope Crunch
12 311
Chair Crunch
12 311
Elevated Crunch
12 311

Weighted Oblique Crunch
12 311
Weighted Oblique Dip
12 311
Side 2 Side
12 311

So my friends, what are  you doing today to Move and Lose and or Maintain?  Come on, the time is flying by, it's the second week in March, the time zones have changed....spring is just around the corner.

My scale has not moved hardly at all and being a vet I know better...I didn't get on until 4 weeks out, but still was shocked.  I did check my measurements and they were down but not by much.  I have to keep reminding myself it's all about feeling good and getting strong. 

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 3/6/09 10:59 pm
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - Weekend Workout!
Hey Everyone, 

The weekend is here and my "TO DO" list is very long...truth be told I tell myself I don't have time to workout, but I have to make it a priority and move it to the top of the list  

I am still so very sore from this week's workout...today and tomorrow will be cardio.  I am going to do bag work as I really want to have my arms looking great for the summer.  Most people don't realize the bag work is not just hitting a bag.....you do 3 min rounds and then during the breaks you do cardio.  This routine is done for an hour  if you don't die first 

So friends, what do you have planned for the weekend workout challenge?  Come on you can do it, you can find the time......MAKE ME PROUD  

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 3/6/09 12:35 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - Happy Friday Y'all!
Hey Everyone, it's time to do the Happy Friday dance 

I have never been so happy to see a Friday come...I am sitting here working and smelling like Ben Gay and my dog even won't sit next to me    I know this will all pay off come summer  but man why can't we just take a pill and like in the cartoons, the body fat falls off and muscles abound  

Oh well    until that day comes, we have to move to lose people    

If you are getting this nice weather get out and do something, like walking or biking.  I can't bend my legs    I swear, when I go to sit down I have to drop the last 6 inches    but I can walk so Rocky and I are going for a walk today before the rain comes in....that being said I am not doing anything else to day but   and  

Tomorrow is another day though

So my friends, let's close out this week and share with others what you are doing to move and lose

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 3/5/09 4:56 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - Pay back is a $itch!
OMG  This chick is so crippled    My chest hurts, my legs hurt, my arms hurt  MY HAIR HURTS  ...that being said I am going to do core work today and then die tomorrow   

Oh did I tell you, my son says this is good, this is what we want...YEA right, this is pay back for all the groundings and time outs from when he was a kid.  Don't ever workout with your "adult" kid.    Pay back is a $itch 

Here is my schedule for the day

Day 4 - Core

Double Crunch 3 15

Legs Up 3 15

Elevated Crunch 3 15

Side Dip - Knee to Elbow 3 15

Bicycle 3 15

Side2Side 3 15

So my friends, Did You Move To Lose and or Maintain Today?  Come on, the week is almost over...you can do it.  Be accountable, inspire and kick some butt 

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 3/3/09 11:39 pm
Hey Everyone 

I think it's going to try and warm up today, so Rocky is sitting by the door with lease in his mouth 

Today is  Leg day....

Leg Extension 8x8 3 12

Individual Leg Curl 3 12

Lunge w/kickback 3 12

Leg Press 3 12

Calf Raise 3 12

Come on in and let's Move To Lose and or Maintain Today...  Be accountable, share and inspire

Take care,
Kathy

Kathy S.
on 3/3/09 12:28 am
Topic: RE: Spring Fling Workout Challenge - If you are slacking, think swim suit!
Hey Everyone,

It's hard to get motivated when you look out the window and forget what color the sun is and grey is the new blue    But now is the time to stay on track with Movin and Losin    Trust me, before you know it Spring will be here and you will start thinking of pretty dresses, flowers, shorts and the "S" word......SWIM SUIT  
If you have been taking our challenge and working out you will be excited to buy that swim suit....we have plenty of time, but lets get going  

Today is my Back Day....

Day 2 - Back        

Cable Row 3 12 411 :30
Lat Pulldown 3 12 411 :30
DB Bench Row 3 12 411 :30
Cable Lat Pushdown 3 12 411 :30

30: Cardio        

Come on in and Move To Lose and or Maintain    What do you have on your agenda for the days exercise?  Share, be accountable and inspire  

Take care,
Kathy  

Kathy S.
on 2/28/09 1:49 am
Hey Everyone, 

Sorry I was MIA yesterday    It was a wild and crazy day and by the time it ended I just needed some down time  

Today and Sunday I will be doing cardio.....treadmill and boxing workout.  What is on the weekend workout agenda for you?  Cardio, weights or are you taking a rest day

Come on in and share, inspire and be accountable 

Have a great weekend 

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 2/25/09 11:32 pm
Topic: RE: Scale Hell Challenge! Did You Make It?
Hey Everyone 

Well it's been almost 4 weeks since we committed to getting out of Scale Hell...  How did you do?

If you are able to get on the scale everyday and the scale is a positive tool for you then this challenge was not for you. 

I found this to be an interesting challenge for me.  After about 2 1/2 weeks I was dying to get on the scale.  My clothes felt good and I had lost inches, so I just knew I had done really well but for some reason that was not enough.  I needed that number on the scale to put the exclamation point on my "success".  Why?   Years of conditioning......the scale was the end all for how I was doing in my weight control.  My DH didn't cave and didn't give me the scale.  

Low and behold the feeling past and now I really don't care what it says come the end of the month.  I am feeling good about what I did, what I accomplished and now the scale will be an additional tool in my new life style...not the indicator of how my day will be, not the "only" indicator of success or failure 

Thanks for joining me 

Now come and join me in the Get Your Sexy Back Spring Challenge  

Take care,
Kathy S
Support Group Leader Coach

Kathy S.
on 2/25/09 1:12 am
Topic: RE: Move To Lose Spring Challenge - Weds.
Hello Everyone

It's suppose to be in the 40's here today.  Yea for us it's a heat wave baby    I am going to get out and walk Rocky before it rains....  Be my luck it will before I take my lunch break 

Today is Shoulder Day with a touch a Cardio....

Side Raises 3 12

Sitting Front Alternating Raise 3 12

Rear Delt Cable Row 3 12

DB Shrug 3 12

DB Overhead Press 3 12

After my weight workout I will be doing 25 mins on the treadmill.

So my friends, are  you movin and losin?  Are you staying on track?  Did you hit a speed bump and or fall in a pothole and trying to climb out?    Come on in and let's get it ROCKIN    Let's be accountable and share and inspire

Take care,
Kathy 

Kathy S.
on 2/24/09 12:21 am
Topic: RE: Move To Lose Spring Challenge - Tuesday
Hey Everyone, 

How are you guys doing?  Movin and Losin and or Maintaining I hope 

Today is arm day 

3 sets of 12

Standing Alternating Curl
Kneeling Kickback
Incline Curl
Single Arm Tri Rotation
Barbell Curl
Close Grip Bench

So my friends come on in and let's be accountable, inspire and feel good about what you are doing for YOU

Take care,
Kathy

Most Active
Recent Topics