Qutting Smoking Before Surgery

MaMaMaRTiNeZz
on 10/10/12 6:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 11/01/12
So today is my last day of smoking cigarettes. I was told that I needed to quit smoking 4 weeks before surgery but I ****** that up and now I have 3 weeks before surgery. Does anyone think that anything bad will happen to me because I quit 3 weeks before instead of 4?! I was a smoker from the age of 19 in 2005 until 22 in 2008 when I got pregnant with my son. From July 2008 until September 2010 I did not smoke. Then in September 2010 until April 2012 I started smoking again. I quit in the beginning of April until the beginning of August 2012. I have been smoking about 3-5 cigarettes a day since August 2012 and this will be my last day of smoking. Before that I would smoke about the same maybe 1-1/2 packs a week, I've never been a heavy chain smoker and truthfully every time I quit I did it without any aids, cold turkey. But now I am afraid that I am no longer safe because I should have stopped at the 4 week mark. My good friend just underwent RNY in July and she never quit smoking she kept smoking until 2 hours before her surgery and resumed smoking the night of her surgery day. I don't plan on taking that risk...so even though the people on this board are not doctor's I was wondering if you all think I'll be ok. I've had a few chest xrays throughout 2012 and my lungs are in great condition, no issues whatsoever. My last chest xray was on 10/1/2012 and the dcotor couldn't even tell I was a smoker. So please give me your opinions on this. Thanks. :)

NOTHING tastes as GOOD as SKINNY FEELS...

Starting Pre-Op Weight: 305     Weight On Day of Surgery: 297 

Laurie T.
on 10/10/12 9:24 am - MA
No, I don't think anything bad will happen, but you def need to make the commitment from here on out! It is so important not to smoke from now on and even more so after surgery. Just remember to let your want for surgery out weigh the want for nicotine by a million percent. You are going to benefit all around from not smoking. I quit smoking one year before surgery. BEST CHOICE EVER. Almost as much as surgery.

Good luck to you! You can do it! 

On the other side of fear lies freedom.

darlinggirl1998
on 10/12/12 5:54 am - Victorville, CA
I think you will be fine.  Do it to be healthier, you want your insides to match your outsides when you look fabulous!!!  Oh and you have a youthful look now, which might not be the case after all the fat is sucked out of youir face.  I know easier said than done, but I'm sure you will look back and just wish you would have done it sooner.  Just a suggestion, but put the money you spend on cigs in a jar toward plastics later...what motivation  !!!  :)
Shelleywithaney
on 10/16/12 6:21 am - CA
 They say to stop any kind of smoking , so that your lungs will clear up. You have a better chance with anesthesia.  Some doctors make you do a blood test to check if you have smoked .  I know it's hard I had to stop smoking too.  Though my problem isn't cigs and for the people who judge it is legal in California with a license .  Any who I am sure one won't be that bad.  Good luck and don't stress to much or you will crave it more.
Robin R.
on 10/24/12 7:47 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12
The Easyway by Allen Carr. It's not just a book. It's a miracle. This man has clinics all over the place with a 98% success rate. Even if you have already quit for a day or a week I would recommend all previous and current smokers read this. I consider it an unbrainwashing book. It probably saved my life.

Most Active
Recent Topics
I regret getting so big
mirandamacie · 0 replies · 449 views
Any "surgery twins" ??
Vampy · 11 replies · 2176 views
Loose skin at 21
nataliaxrivera · 2 replies · 4089 views
Feeling lost
PenguinArmy · 1 replies · 6647 views