Why am I hungry?

Susiekay
on 7/26/12 12:27 pm
RNY on 04/24/12

I just recently started getting my appetite back.  I am 3 mos out.  Here is what I usually eat, can you please help.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Protien coffee 20 grams protien
Grilled Chicken breast (wendy's-got grilled chicken sandwhich, threw away the bun ate the chicken, tomatoe and lettace w/a little bit on honey mustard.  20 grams protien
lean cuisean (ate the chicken only threw away pasta) 20 grams protien
pic sweet deluxe sides Edamame 9 grams protien
Estimated my cals to be under 800.

Liquids
10 in coffee
10 in coffee
32 in unsweet tea
10 in coffee
20 in crystal light.
82 total

You would think with all the protien I would not be hungry...Maybe its just head hunger.  I'm about to drink 20 oz crystal light...

Huneypie
on 7/26/12 5:33 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Your nerves are healing and everyone gets their hunger back sooner or later.  Try getting more protein from food rather than drinking it and have more water instead.  BTW what surgery did you have?

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Susiekay
on 7/29/12 2:10 am
RNY on 04/24/12
Had Lap Band 1-2008  271 lbs
Revision to RYN 4-28-2012 219 lbs
Now 186
Huneypie
on 7/29/12 3:07 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Looks like you're doing OK.  Could be you need to eat more.  Why don't you try the menus and miles thread to see how you're doing.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Jody ***
on 7/26/12 9:11 pm - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Sounds to me like you're eating well for 3 months out.

Are you on a Acid reducer?  I've found that when I didn't take my Prevacid the irritation I felt masked itself as hunger.  I'd take my meds again and it would go away.

But yes, hunger WILL reappear.  Mine didn't until about 6 months out, but some folks never lost their hunger. 

It's awesome you're getting so much protein from your drinks - and that always helps me curb my appetite and keeps me from snacking on things I shouldn't be eating.

There's always the "head hunger" issue... but I find mine kicks in more when I'm bored.  I can tell the difference between the 2...

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Price S.
on 7/26/12 9:27 pm - Mills River, NC
I'm further out but what has seemed to help me is to be eating or drinking always. 
I still have 4 meals a day, plus my protein drinks.  The drinks don't really make me feel full, but keep me from being hungry if that makes sense.  I have at least 36 oz of fluid, sometime as a protein drink, between each meal.  So I always am eating or drinking something.  Sometimes when I think I am hungry and I haven't had my fluid, I realize it is thirst instead and after a drink I am fine. There are some foods that folks refer to as sliders and they do nothing for me.  I like greek yogurt but even when I put fruit or protein powder in it, I am hungry again in no time.  Check out my menus in Miles and Menus for an example of how I am eating that works for me. 

I also agree with Jody on the acid reducers.  They make a difference in hunger for some folks.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

lerkhart
on 7/27/12 12:12 am
You are doing great on the protein.  I agree with Price that I am always eating or drinking something.  I'm almost 3 years out and I still don't feel hungry like I did before surgery.  I did have a rumble feeling in my stomach before I started taking the acid reducer and now that I take that every day I haven't had that feeling.

My protein drinks fill me up.  I can't eat in the mornings.  My first meal is lunch around 11:30 or 12.  I have 2 protein drinks in the morning. 

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Kermit P.
on 7/27/12 9:50 am, edited 7/26/12 9:51 pm
I felt hunger early out and was NOT prepared for it. Sometimes I resent it too! As Jodi said, going back on an acid med can help...acid can mimic the feeling of hunger and I went back on the prilosec and this helped. I get hungry pretty often...I just try to remain protein focused and try my best. I do envy those who do not experience hunger. Good luck!

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 300 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 426 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 487 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 506 views