Lose Weight Find Life

Recent Posts

Cathy W.
on 1/23/08 8:58 pm
Topic: The Best Beverage Isn't Diet Soda
Water is so important for life. Did you know that we can survive for many days and weeks without food, but only a very few days withou****er. Our bodies are approximately 55% to 75% water. There is no function that occurs in our body withou****er!

I talk to members and coaching clients that want to maximize their weight loss. One of the best tools is to drink water. I know for me in my dieting days, I never appreciated the importance water plays in weight loss. My beverage of choice was diet soda. Water - diet soda....both fluids so what's the difference? The difference is night and day!

Water is a huge component in weight loss and maintenance. Drinking water washes our bodies of harmful products or toxins. This internal cleansing is very important for overall good health and weight managemen****er also assists in appetite management.

Water does so much more than just satisfy your thirst. Actually, if you wait to drink water until you're thirsty, you're already behind your body's natural need for hydration.

Water does a lot more than just satisfy your thirst. Among its duties, it carries nutrients throughout the body, adds moisture to body tissues, softens stools, helps cushion your joints, and aides in the regulation of body temperature. Our bodies continuously use water throughout the day. We need to replenish our bodies with water throughout the day. Sip throughout the day for regular hydration.

For me, I monitor my water intake and make certain I intake my 64 ounces each day. I have a 32 ounce bottle of water. I make sure that I drink one of the 32 ounce bottles by the end of the morning and the second one by early evening. If I'm running short, I have a built-in check by this method. For years, it has worked for me!

Do yourself, your body, and weight loss a favor - drink the best beverage of all......water.

Cathy

Cathy W.
on 1/22/08 12:43 pm
Topic: RE: HI LEADERS AND MEMBERS!
Hi Nina, Right back at you - Thank YOU for making a difference for me, the Leader Program, and all the people you help by being an OH Leader. That would be awesome to have more leaders.  Thanks for putting the word out and being a wonderful roll model to other support group leaders.  Let them know the process.  The more the merrier!! Thanks again, Cathy

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Nina C.
on 1/22/08 12:23 pm - Brampton, Canada
Topic: RE: HI LEADERS AND MEMBERS!
Hi Cathy, I think there are some other group leaders right here in Ontario that have expressed some interest in completing the OH leader training. I just wanted to thank you for making a difference! Nina

Done! Your Ticker:

Please visit our new online support group.  We appreciate everyone's participation!  
http://www.obesityhelp.com:80/group/abcd123_123/tab,0/page,1/

Cathy W.
on 1/22/08 12:53 am
Topic: RE: The Person Responsible for Your Success!
Hi Jeannie, Since you've been a leader and getting to know you through your training, you have really blossomed.  I see it in your posts and the wonderful things you say.  You are a special person, wonderful leader, and your deserve the same wonderful things that you give by who you are. Thanks for sharing yourself with me. Cathy
Jeannie A.
on 1/22/08 12:23 am - Stockbridge, GA
Topic: RE: The Person Responsible for Your Success!
This is so true! I have been loving getting to know the true ME once again. It has really been a WONDERFUL JOURNEY.  Cathy I have met so many new people and having OH on my side has really given me the courage to be really successful in allthe thing that I have done. Then most important being the part of a great support group is really the best. I think that if it was not for ERIC, and OH I do not think I would have come as far.  Thank you again for all the WONDERFUL SUPPORT. Hug's Jeannie
Jeannie Armstrong   
OH Support Group Leader
RNY 07/27/06 
sw358/ cw 175/ qw 175 to 160

I have been blessed with God's Help!

For those in GEORGIA come and join us at PEDMONT HENRY MEDICAL CENTER in the EDUCATIONAL BUILDING in Foundation Board room the 4th TUESDAY of each month at 6:30pm.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/jeannie4759_group/tab,0/page,1/#my_groups_main:1

Cathy W.
on 1/19/08 11:36 pm
Topic: The Person Responsible for Your Success!
The Person Responsible for Your Success
by Jack Canfield

It's time to meet the person who has been responsible for the life you live right now.

This person has created your income, your debt, your relationships, your health, your fitness level, your weight, your attitudes and your behaviors. Who is it? To introduce yourself, just walk to the closest mirror and say hello! This person is you!

Although one of the popular myths out there is that "external factors" determine how you live, the truth of the matter is that you are in complete control of the quality of your life.

It's time to look at the life you've created and determine what is working and what is not. Certainly there are wonderful things happening in your life, whether it's your job, your spouse, your grades, your children, your friends, or your income level.

Congratulate yourself on these successes; you are creating them for yourself! And then take a look at what isn't working out so well. What are you doing or not doing to create those experiences?

It's time to stop blaming outside factors for your unhappiness.

When you realize that you create your experiences, you'll realize that you can un-create them and create new experiences whenever you want. But you must take responsibility for your happiness and your unhappiness, your successes and your failures, your good times and your bad times. When you stop blaming, you can take that energy and redirect to focus on creating a better situation for yourself. Blaming only ties up your energy.

It's also time to stop complaining.

Look at what you are complaining about. Really examine it. More than likely it is something that you can do something about.

Are you unhappy about something that is happening? Make requests that will make it more desirable to you, or take the steps to change it yourself. Making a change might be uncomfortable to you. It might mean you have to put in more time, money, and effort. It might mean that someone gets upset about it. It might be difficult to change or leave a situation, but staying put is your choice so why continue to complain? Face the facts that you can either do something about it or not. It is your choice and you have responsibility for your choices.

Successful people take 100% responsibility for the thoughts they think, the images that visualize and the actions they take.

They don't waste their time and energy blaming and complaining. They evaluate their experiences and decide if they need to change them or not. They face the uncomfortable and take risks in order to create the life they want to live.

Taking responsibility requires you to first decide to believe that you create all your experiences. Second, to pay attention to yourself, your behavior, and your life experiences. And last, to face the truth and deal with what is not working in your life. You have to be willing to change your behavior if you want a different outcome. You have to be willing to take the risks necessary to get what you want.

Isn't it a great relief to know that you can make your life what you want it to be? Isn't it wonderful that your successes do not depend on someone else?

Commit to taking 100% responsibility for your every aspect of your life. Decide to make changes, one step at a time. Once you start the process you'll discover it is much easier to get what you want by taking control of your thoughts, your visualizations, and your actions!

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/08 11:30 pm - Boca Raton, FL
Topic: RE: Your Metabolism
Thanks Cathy! Great advise...makes a lot of sense! -Karen
Cathy W.
on 1/18/08 7:37 am
Topic: The Single Best Way To Lose Weight (from WebMD)
I've fought using a food journal. It reminded me of my Weigh****chers dieting days. I found www.FitDay.com and have been a journal fan ever since. Since it is on the computer, the pie chart showing your results, and the comprehensive features make it fun. After reading this article, I'm even more committed to keeping a food and exercise journal as a great tool for weight maintenance.

The Single Best Way to Lose Weight

WebMD Feature from "Good Housekeeping" MagazineBy Kate Torgovnick

It's scientifically proven: The key isn't just what you eat, it's what you write.

If you're anything like me, you have no idea how much food you inhale on a day-to-day basis. Thanks to multitasking, grabbing grub on the go, parking myself in front of the TV while munching, and various other weight-loss crimes, I often barely register that I'm eating. Take last week: I was totally oblivious that I was popping jelly beans into my mouth until my nephew complained that I was about to polish off his bag (sorry again, Jake). It's tough to watch every mouthful you eat, even if you're an expert. Researchers at Louisiana State University asked dietitians to estimate their daily caloric intake -- and even the professionals lowballed the number by 10 percent. That may explain why it's so hard to shed pounds, no matter how good the plan is.

But there's a simple solution: Keep a food diary. Studies show that a journal doesn't just aid weight loss -- it turbo-charges it. When researchers from Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research followed more than 2,000 dieters who were encouraged to record meals and snacks, they found that the single best predictor of whether a participant would drop weight was whether the person kept a food diary. It trumped exercise habits, age, and body mass index. The number of pounds people lost was directly related to the number of days they wrote in their log. (It's no coincidence that Weigh****chers, one of the most successful diet programs, asks participants to track what they eat.)

Here are five more reasons to start a journal today -- even if you swore off diaries in middle school.

1. You'll get a reality check about how many calories you consume.
Americans typically underestimate their daily intake by about 25 percent, reports nutritionist Carrie Latt Wiatt, author of Portion Savvy. The situation gets even more complicated when you eat out. In a 2006 study led by Cornell University, 105 diners in fast-food restaurants were asked how many calories were in their orders. For the small items, almost everyone guessed correctly; for the larger orders, the diners underestimated the calories by a whopping 38 percent. It may be an issue of perception, says study author Brian Wansink, Ph.D. The larger the quantity, the harder it is to make an accurate guess -- the same is true for distances and heights.

Even professionals can be tricked by hefty portion sizes. When an NYU researcher asked 200 dietitians to estimate the calorie count of four popular restaurant dishes, the experts lowballed the number for each by a whopping 250 to 700 calories.

So stop assuming and start calculating. A good manual, like the classic Calorie King Fat & Carbohydrate Counter, makes it easy by giving you the calorie counts and fat grams for a huge number of foods. Or try nutritiondata.com, which also lists the stats for many foods.

2. You'll cut back on between-meal munching.
Make a mental checklist of what you ate yesterday. Sure, you can probably remember breakfast, lunch, and dinner -- but what about that mini Snickers you snatched from your coworker's stash? Or that spoonful of mashed potatoes you took off your husband's plate?

It's easy to overlook bites, licks, and tastes (known as "BLTs" to professionals). But that's a huge mistake -- there are 25 calories, on average, in each mouthful. Translation: Six little bites a day add up to around 15 extra pounds a year.

"I remember one client who was keeping a diary and couldn't understand why she wasn't losing weight," says Bethany Thayer, R.D., spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. "We were discussing the problem when she took out a peppermint. I asked her how many she ate every day, and she said, 'A bag.' They're nine calories each, but the whole bag is several hundred."

Writing everything down can also help you make smarter food choices. If you often order a Starbucks Grande Dulce de Leche Latte, entering the data will bring you face-to-face with the fact that your beloved drink packs 440 calories, versus 23 calories for the same-size regular coffee with milk.

3. You'll discover where your diet detours.
"I thought I ate a lot of vegetables -- it seemed like I was constantly cooking spinach, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts," says Melissa Smith, a 32-year-old mom from Omaha who's been keeping a food diary for the past 18 months. "But looking back over a few weeks of my journal, I was surprised to realize that I was only eating veggies once or twice a week." So she made salads a regular part of dinner and noticed that it helped her eat less of her entrée. Her analysis and follow-up action paid off: She's lost more than 27 pounds.

A balanced diet is the key to weight loss, says Suzanne Farrell, R.D., who owns Cherry Creek Nutrition in Denver. "Whole grains, low-fat dairy, green vegetables, orange veggies, beans, nuts -- science shows that we need to eat these regularly to reach a healthy body weight. So when I flip through my clients' journals, I always look for what I'm not seeing."

To find out how many servings of each food group you should be eating, go to mypyramid.gov. This tool will calculate the correct portions based on your age, gender, height, weight, and level of physical activity. It'll also tell you the number of calories you should aim for daily to lose weight.

4. You'll learn why you pig out.
Experts suggest that, to help break bad habits, you record not only what you eat, but the cir****tances that prompt you to eat. For example, maybe you indulge in more sweets at work because you sit close to the vending machine. Maybe you have a milkshake several times a week because you pass Wendy's on the way home. Or maybe every time you worry about money, you retreat into the kitchen for chips.

When you begin to notice these patterns, you can figure out ways to change them. If the vending machine is a constant temptation, stock your desk drawers with fruit and granola bars. If you can't resist a fast-food sign, MapQuest a new route to work. If you eat when you're under pressure, steer clear of snacks and take a short walk instead (it's a scientifically proven stress buster).

Another bonus: "When you increase awareness of what's going into your mouth," says Thayer, "you'll feel fuller sooner than if you were just mindlessly munching."

5. You'll see real results -- quickly.
Your food diary can be as revealing as the one you kept in fifth grade. For example, to get a glimpse into how much you've improved your diet, compare the entries in week one (Twinkie-filled) to week four or five (ideally, veggie-filled). You can also discover which decisions translated into pounds lost -- for instance, that week you had fish for dinner twice might've helped you lose weight.

Food journals also let you give yourself credit where credit is due (personally, I reward myself with a gold star each day I resist eating candy). And that positive reinforcement is essential for shedding pounds.

How to Write Off Pounds: A Cheat Sheet to Get Your Food Diary Started
Choose Your Medium
If you're using pen and paper, buy a regular spiral notebook. Or go for a pre-organized book like the DietMinder. Computer addicts should check out online journals, such as myfooddiary.com ($9 per month) and nutrihand.com (free for a basic plan; $10 per month for extras). If you can't live without your PDA, visit weightbydate.com and download the software (starting at $19).

Start Recording
The crucial info to write down: the time you ate, what you ate, and how much you ate. Make a habit of jotting notes right after you eat. "If you wait until the end of the day, it's too easy to leave things out," warns Suzanne Farrell, R.D. Tracking your diet online? Remember to take paper with you to restaurants, so you can write down every ingredient and calculate its nutritional content afterward.

You may also want to invest in measuring cups -- they'll help you learn what a one-and-a-half-cup portion looks like (it's a lot less than you think) -- as well as a calorie-counter book and a calculator. Armed with these tools, you can track your calories like a nutritionist would.

Get Personal
Customize your diary so it reflects the info that's most useful to you. For example, if you're someone who eats whenever food is in front of you, create columns in your journal to rate how hungry you were before and afterward. If you snack your way through hard days, add a column to describe how you were feeling when you ate. Trying to figure out when you're most drawn to junk food? Record where you were when you indulged and what was going on at the time. Also, if you're trying to break a specific habit, like scarfing down ice cream at night, create a column for that, so you can give yourself a star for each day you resist the urge.

Be Honest
Include every single bite, lick, and taste (anything larger than a crumb counts). And don't forget to keep track of your sips. Even the most diligent diarists often forget to include the glass of white wine they had at dinner (120 calories) and their 3 p.m. can of Coke (155 calories).

Find Your Favorites
Counting calories is easier for creatures of habit: If you have a bowl of cereal for breakfast almost every morning or a turkey sandwich three times a week, you won't have to look up the number each time.

Keep Your Diary Close
"I'm forgetful, so I always need to put the journal where I can see it -- on my kitchen table, on my desk at work. I carry it a lot in my hand, too, as a reminder," says Melissa Smith, 32, of Omaha, who lost 25 pounds keeping a food diary.

You can also try this trick from Maryellen Mealey, 42, of Chicago, who lost big (188 pounds) keeping a journal: "I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't eat anything unless I wrote it down first. It's obsessive, but I'm a mindless snacker and putting everything in the book really helped me be more conscious," she says.

Examine the Evidence
No matter how diligent you are, a food log won't help in the behavior-changing department if you don't analyze it. At night, sit down and calculate how many calories you consumed. Tally up what food groups you're eating, and make adjustments. (A big plus of online tools is that they do a lot of the analysis for you, totaling everything with a click of a button and often giving you charts to show what you can improve.)

You may also want to consult a registered dietitian. A professional may see things in your diary that you don't (cost: usually $50 to $300 for an initial consultation). A two-year study from Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle showed that participants who consulted a dietitian had better success keeping off weight than those who followed their usual diet.

Reward Yourself
"I read that it takes 28 days to build a habit," says Mealey. "So when I have a new goal -- like eating veggies more often -- I do it for a month, then treat myself by shopping or going to a movie with a friend. Rewards give me an incentive to keep going."

Cathy W.
on 1/18/08 7:29 am
Topic: Stomach Full? Brain May Not Know (by WebMD)
I saw this article and wanted to share with you. Pretty interesting....

Stomach Full? Brain May Not Know
Overweight People's Brains Seem Slow to Sense Satiety
By Daniel J. DeNoon

WebMD Medical NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDJan. 11, 2008 -- Overweight people's brains may not know when their stomachs are full, a brain scan study suggests.

The findings come from Gene-Jack Wang, MD, of Brookhaven National Laboratory, Nora D. Volkow, MD, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and colleagues. These researchers have used real-time brain scans to explore addictive behaviors. They're also looking at interactions between eating behaviors and brain function.

In their new study, Wang and colleagues had 18 adult volunteers swallow balloons -- sections of latex condoms tied off with unwaxed dental floss -- attached to a long tube. Once the balloons were in the patients' stomachs, the researchers filled them with body-temperature water. The idea was to simulate eating enough food to fill the stomach.

While the balloons were being filled, the researchers scanned the patients' brains. At various times during the experiment -- when the balloons were partially or fully filled -- the patients were asked how full they felt, how uncomfortable they were, how hungry they were, and how much they wanted food. The patients had not eaten since 7 p.m. the night before the experiments, which were conducted between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Perhaps not surprisingly -- as they had a tube going down their throat -- the patients reported only a little less hunger and a little more desire for food when the balloons were full.

Interestingly, the thinner the subject, the more likely that person was to report feeling full when the balloon was full. The heavier the patients, the less likely they were to feel full with a filled water balloon in their stomachs.

Filling the balloon triggered a response in the amygdala, the part of the brain that controls emotional responses -- and possibly feeding behavior. Removal of a specific part of the amygdala causes animals to eat uncontrollably.

Interestingly, the left rear amygdala became active when patients reported feeling full.

"This study provides the first evidence of the connection of the left amygdala and feelings of hunger during stomach fullness, demonstrating that activation of this brain region suppresses hunger," Wang says in a news release.

Wang went on to suggest that possible treatment options for obesity might include brain surgery.

"Our findings indicate a potential direction for treatment strategies -- be they behavioral, medical, or surgical," he says.

Wang and colleagues report their findings in the Feb. 15 issue of the journal NeuroImage.
Cathy W.
on 1/16/08 9:45 pm
Topic: True To You
There is no one else like you! You are unique, special, and one-of-a-kind. It is so important to be who you are. If you try to be someone else besides yourself, you'll not be congruent to who you are. Be true to your values and life purpose. Think of someone you highly respect. Give that same respect to yourself. Be true to yourself.

My very favorite quote is "This above all, to thine own self be true."

Live your very best life and be true to yourself. That is the ultimate happiness you'll ever know.

Cathy