VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Uncomfortable at ti...

Uncomfortable at times with positive attention...

moparmemaw
on 9/18/11 9:27 am - IA
I guess I've never had this "problem" before. 

But it seems that more and more, I am noticing "mature" men (around my age) will smile, hold the door for me, nod and say hello, etc.  This has NEVER happened to me before.  It makes me a little uncomfortable.  Sometimes I wonder if it's my imagination, but then I know it isn't because it didn't happen 160 extra pounds ago.  I don't know why it makes me uncomfortable.  Sometimes invisible is good.

Wonder if my husband notices....
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

loverofcats
on 9/18/11 9:50 am
I've noticed the same thing. I just smile and say, "Thank you." This is happening at the gym too. Some mature men smile at me and will try to strike up some conversations. I had one guy tell me, that he had been watching me and thought I was doing great. That was an odd one. LOL!

I'm 57 and will be 58 next month.

It probably makes you uncomfortable, because it hasn't happened to you before. Rejoice in it, and say, "Thank you." Years ago, when I was less heavy, I did receive compliments from males. Most of the time it was okay, but depending upon the person, it can be creepy at times. But, overall, it can be a confidence booster.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

laurak712
on 9/18/11 12:31 pm - New Braunfels, TX
I was at the gym the other day with my trainer and I was looking in the mirror at my flabby butt and this guy came up to me and said "I'd hit that".  I was so embarrassed and my daughter was with me!  I mean what kind of man says that to a woman he doesn't even know?

My husband says that men look at me all the time, but I'm oblivious I guess cause I don't notice it. 

Laura

Height 5' 7

moparmemaw
on 9/19/11 4:39 am - IA
Laura - That's the kind of man we wouldn't want anything to do with!  WTH is all I can say!  Crude way of complimenting someone. 
Wanda
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

sam1am
on 9/19/11 3:07 am
I am embarrassed, but secretly love it!

The I'd "hit that" comment, was crude, but I would have been grinning all day, LOL!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Sniffles...
on 9/19/11 4:22 am - Hendersonville, TN
My hubby says he catches guys checking me out all the time, too. Mostly I don't pick up on it, but when I do it's pretty harmless and flattering. But there's this one guy that works on the same floor where I work (not in the same chain of command or division at all) and we occasionally run into each other around the building and he does way more than just take a glance at me. He will try to strike up conversations with me and try to pull me aside or get my attention when I walk by. He gives the obviously-flirting stare. I'm always nice to others, so I smile and say "Hey, what's up?" or "Hey, how's it going?"... but I don't want to encourage him, so I try to slink off as quickly as possible, but politely. I keep thinking he has surely noticed the big ring on my left hand, right? Anyway, today I was thinking I might use the ol' "can't talk, I'm on a call" routine where I just have my cell phone at the ready when I'm walking around and spot him. I'm a wuss. Pretending to be on the phone will be my non-confrontational way of not dealing with it, I suppose. That should work for a while, right? (shaking head, eyes rolling)

Height 5'9" Highest BMI - 45.3 Current BMI - 24.2
03/27/10 - 307 (pre-surgery),    03/30/10 - 303 (surgery),    Now - 164    
moparmemaw
on 9/19/11 4:41 am - IA

I would probably do the same thing.  When it's obvious that it's more than a admiration from afar, it gets real uncomfortable and I would do anything I could do to dodge the bullet too. 

Wanda

hmahler
on 9/19/11 2:24 pm - Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
I am finding the shift from only mildly disguised disdain to flirting very bizarre indeed.  Until recently the last time a stranger flirted with me I was 16 years old.

But I find the strangers less odd than some of the husbands of my friends.  They are just  trying to be complimentary, I know... but I am not quite comfortable when they show me the flirty attention I have been getting lately.  Or perhaps this is just the way adult men and women are, and I've just missed it all these years?  I have no clue.

Check out my blog at
www.mahlersonsafari.blogspot.com   

moparmemaw
on 9/19/11 10:49 pm - IA
It's strange that I feel uncomfortable with this, but there are some men that are known to me quite well through work who have never mentioned my weight loss or said anything at all as far as that goes.  That bothers me too.  It's as if I think they haven't noticed, which of course is absurd.  I think they most definately have noticed that I've lost 163 pounds!  I realize they probably just don't know WHAT to say, so they say nothing at all. 

I would probably feel uncomfortable if they said something, but just a hint of noticing would be nice.  I guess that makes me a very complex piece of work...I don't really know what I want! lol

And the way men and women flirt.  I've noticed this with my son and his wife and their friends.  It makes me uncomfortable to say the least.  Not that I would think that any of them would act on the flirting, but it does bother me.  Maybe just the difference in our generation, but my daughter and her husband don't do it.  Maybe just the dynamics of the friends and/or the marriage. 
Wanda

MacMadame
on 9/20/11 7:41 am - Northern, CA
You'd be surprised.... men often don't really notice such things. They know *something* had changed but they aren't sure what. They say things like "did you cut your hair?" in a puzzled tone of voice when you've dropped 50 pounds or more.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights