VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » RMR help, please. (...

RMR help, please. (x post)

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 12:48 pm
Hi,
Posted this question on the main VSG board, but thought later this would be the better group to come to for answers.

I'm 5-6 pounds away from my personal goal weight (Surgeon already considers me at goal and as of today, so does my PCP, but I'm still not in my comfort zone).

After my annual physical today I had a hydrostatic body comp test done. Good news is I'm at 19.4% body fat and reaching my goal weight (if I lose only fat) will put me at about 17% - in the "fit" category. I also got my Resting Metabolic Rate done for my weight, height and body composition. It is 1902 calories per day. I don't quite buy that - maybe for a normie, but.....

What do I do with this RMR info as I ease into maintenance? Any suggestions - especially for recommended reading?

Maintaining my weight is where I have always blown it in the past. I am nervous about this transition and would like all the information and tools I can amass to help me navigate this new area of life.

Thanks!

MacMadame
on 6/26/12 1:37 pm - Northern, CA
I woudln't do anything with it.  If you really got it tested directly  -- where you breath into a machine for 10 min while sitting perfectly still -- then it's fairly believable. But if you got it as part of them measuring your body fat, it's a random number which may or may not be in the ball park.

The best thing to do for maintenance is deal with reality. Slowly up your calories 100-200 every 1-2 weeks until you stop losing. Then you'll know its' your real maintenance calories.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 3:28 pm
What MacMadame said exactly.  I would completely ignore that number and concentrate on what you actually observe.  Increase your calories by 100-200 at a time and keep a very close eye on calories/weight.  Find a place where there is a balance and keep that, journaling everything and making adjustments for at least six months.  You are your own science experiment, it is a shaky time, but if you stay honest with yourself and journal everything, you will eventually learn what you need to know in order to be successful long term.
Krazydoglady
on 6/26/12 10:30 pm - FL
What MacMadame says.  Just as a point of reference, an RMR of 1902 would be low for a 'Normie' man your age, height. Just to put it into perspective, mine was tested via direct tests (breathing into the tube for 10 minutes), and my last test was 1800 down from close to 1900 when I was 265lbs. I'm a 44 year old, 5'2" woman with 21-22% body fat, and I weighed about 132 at the time.   I also have pretty significant thyroid issues.  The scale is a really bad measure for me, and my head makes the 'how do your clothes fit' measure unreliable.  I do need to have it rechecked again after I am medicated properly. 

ps... different subject, we finished 2 *****es last weekend.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Lee ~
on 6/27/12 12:07 am - CA
 I have no advice as I am just finding my way.  Calories don't appear to be the main factor for me as I always eat under 1200 calories.  In the last week I have really experimented with the exercise.  Since Sunday I have hiked 21 miles up in Roberts park and finally got a 1 pound lss on the scale.  Last week was 32+ miles and also a pound.  Doing a 5k daily doesn't kick my body into losing mode.

Your body fat % is awesome. What a huge difference from less than a year ago. You've had an awesome journey and have really treated your Sleeve with the utmost respect.  I have a lot of admiration for you!

Once I get down to 136, I want to get the hydrostatic testing done too!

You're going to be a rock star in maintenance, the same as you have been at losing!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Mommy2Girls
on 6/27/12 12:31 pm
I had my RMR done in Jan. of this year and even my surgeon was hesitant to use it as a guideline. I'm not yet at goal and had no problem whatsoever in "stopping" my loss. My journey has been lots of stalling and me having to have patience to keep fighting the good fight.

I agree with the ladies above though that you have to be your own science experiment. I've learned that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Good luck, I'm sure you will eventually find the right balance.
-8lbs lost during the 6 month insurance hoop jumping,
the rest is since surgery.