VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Goal Weight - Long....

Goal Weight - Long...sorry!

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/12 3:07 pm
Elina, you have been my rock! I thank you for your reflection and helping me see myself as others do. Your gentle voice and touch have been instrumental in guiding me to the place of acceptance and realization. You have made a huge difference in my journey.
loverofcats
on 7/9/12 1:46 am
I admire your thought processes through this emotional decision. It is not a decision that has been made lightly. You have made so many improvements in a brief 7 months, that it is quite astounding and something that you need to feel very proud about. You have your health back and a second chance at a healthier and more active lifestyle. I salute you!!

The body dysmorphia problem is quite common and one that many of us wrestle with. Sometimes, we see the flaws, rather than all the improvements. Focusing on percentage of body fat, strength, endurance, well-being, and fitness level are all better measures than a number on a scale (note to self about this).

Exercise and weight lifting definitely produce changes in our bodies and the weight distribution is quite different, than that of someone who doesn't exercise. I like to remember the saying, "Strong is the new skinny." This is so true. Also, in the coming year, your weight will continue to redistribute and "settle." At least, I have observed this to be true.

This entire journey is a very emotional and life changing one, and continues to be, as we get further along. It is a wonderful period of growth and self discovery, as your post reflects. The fear factor is normal, and personally, I always want to be a bit fearful of weight regain, since it keeps me mindful and on track.

Congratulations on working your sleeve. Your weight isn't etched in stone and can be changed, anytime that you wish.

Best of luck in the future.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/12 2:59 pm
Gail,
What can I say?! You have been such a help to me the past weeks and your guidance has been spot on!
Thought of you today during my workout. I'm doing a new routine this week that is kicking my butt. I just keep shakin' it up! 
Oh, BTW, bought a banana for tomorrow pre work out meal. I'm excited!
Shagdoll
on 7/9/12 3:27 am
I just want to tell you I think you are amazing Devon!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/12 2:56 pm
MMMMwah!
diane S.
on 7/9/12 3:41 am
Hey K, this is a great post with important thoughts. Don't forget that many of us are given goal ranges by our surgeons. I was at the upper end of my 130 to 140 goal when my surgeon told me I was done. My brother recently had his surgeon revise his goal upward as the origional one was just from charts and brother is far more heavy boned and muscular than the charts allow for.

Yeah it can feel like some kind of cheating to adjust your goal upward but you just have to get over the numbers thing and consider that you are adjusting your goal to one more healthy for you and a lower weight would not be healthy. It may take awhile to accept this but its one of the many difficult parts of this journey.

Your physical health and how you feel should be your goal, not number on scale. Right now you should be feeling pretty darn good about both. Congrats.

Initally maintenance can be scary, but its a lot like weight loss only with more calories. you still journal for awhile, weight regularly, and find the caloric balance that works for you. Might take six months to do this. And set goals in maintaining to keep this "project" going.

All the best.  Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/12 2:55 pm
Diane,
It's so nice to know that everyone else has been in the same place. I honestly felt sort of isolated with my thoughts. It's people like you *****ally help me get through times like this and help me sort out my thoughts via OH.
But, heck, I'm a fiesty terrier. I'll make it through no matter what!
bunnymom
on 7/9/12 3:48 am, edited 7/9/12 3:49 am
Boy, how I can identify with all the posts just written. I have body dysmorphia too. When I look in the mirror in the morning to put my makeup on, before going to Zumba, I like what I see. Then when I take photos of my face with my digital, I hate all the photos and delete them all. I wonder to myself, who is the real person, the gal in the mirror, or the gal out on the deck taking self-photos? My body at this weight is completely different than it was at the same weight but when I was 30 yo. That is very hard to get used to too. No estrogen anymore, so no hips, no saddlebags, etc. Every day I am seeing microscopic changes in my belly flab, but am beginning to think it will not be enough. Got a quote of $7,000 the other day at my surgeon's office. Seems like alot of money to get off 1/2 inch of flab. Think I will continue to use the methods I am now using to reduce it on its own. I, too, mentioned PS to my hubbie this morning and he flipped out. sigh.....he thinks I should be satisfied with my current results. He does not know that PS is the end-product for all WLS patients--he is not on these blogs, for heaven's sakes. I think we all just have to keep pushing thru. Just keep doing what we are doing, (that is what my best friend keeps telling me.) We should be ecstatic with our new images and our reflections in the store windows (that is where I seem to look the best). Thank goodness for all of you and the fact that we all seem to be going thru the same phases of self-acceptance.
Bunnymom            
Lee ~
on 7/9/12 8:27 am, edited 7/8/12 8:28 pm - CA
Dear D, Just a few months ago you were morbidly obese. It makes perfect sense that your mind and body haven't yet come into sync. When I look at you, I see a vibrant, slim, healthy, strong man with an outrageously handsome face. Your smile can light up a room. You so deserve to feel wonderful about what you have accomplished.

My wish for you is that you come to see yourself (body, mind, spirit) as the rest of us do!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/12 2:53 pm
Lee, you make me blush! You are so kind. I thank you so much for your support and kindness. See you soon!