VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Here's my easing in...

Here's my easing into thinness, slightly freaked post..

INgirl
on 9/15/12 7:07 am
I hear you.
I used to lift years ago, in a different way- but I did get results.. I'm getting great and fast results this time.. and I kinda like the pain (well, soreness really- except during, sometimes that just buuuurns) too.. Weird, but it feels good to me. 
KKinLA
on 9/14/12 7:40 pm - Los Angeles, CA
In one month, I'll be two years out and my too-thin freak out started about three months ago, after I started working out, lifting weights, seeing awesome results, and seeing that I could get to my goal and be pretty ripped very quickly. My freak out has coincided with my seemingly new ability to eat five gazillion times more than I could even a few months ago. So, the freak out about becoming too thin and feeling a little frail has now become a freak out about eating too much and starting to gain weight (working out makes me HUNGRY). Hunger hadn't been an issue for me at all until I hit about the 18 month mark. It was then that I started noticing I could eat two halves of a thin sandwich instead of just one. So, now I'm fully back in the sh*tstorm of head hunger and food calling my name from far away places, like 7-11 and Starbucks.
INgirl
on 9/15/12 7:03 am
I do get hunger the day after my lifting, and sometimes the following- and I allow myself to eat more the day of and day after if my body wants it.. but I'm still trying to just have that extra come from fat and just a little carbs.. I get really nibbly if I hike for a long-distance.. I've not yet had the exp of being able to eat ****pots and keep it burning off.. but I have a suspicion that's started to happen.. My graph has plummeted this month coinciding with the new intense lifting.. who knew? Oh, yeah... knew but didn't do is more like it :)
summer24
on 9/15/12 4:46 am
The mind games unfortunately don't really end.  Your friends and family will fuel the games as well.  I sat right around 118 at 5'3.5" for 3 years.  EVERYONE said I was too thin and that I needed to gain weight.  There were days that I felt too thin, especially in my shoulders/collarbone area, and don't get me started with my nonexistent rear end and chicken legs.

However, I became sick a few months ago and ended up having major surgery to my bowels, and lost 10-12 lbs.  Everyone, including myself thought I looked emaciated.  I have since gained back 6-8 lbs. of that weight (even though I hate seeing the scale move up!!), and EVERYONE tells me how great I look, and that I have found my perfect weight.  These are the same people that said I was too thin at 118.  Today I weighed 114.  Seriously?? No wonder we have issues with our new weight. 

As time passes, you will adjust to your new, slighter body.  You might even reach a point where you will drop even more weight, adjust to that new set point and then fear putting back any weight.  I have gone through that and have seen many here go through it as well.

As long as you are healthy and happy, you will find a BF% that you will be happy with.  Extra skin, well that's a different issue :)
INgirl
on 9/15/12 7:11 am
That's funny in an annoying sort of way :/

The people that never knew me big, think I'm fine as is.. some people that knew me big are pressuring me to stop 7-10lbs ago.. and others seem to not notice. I have to admit, the comments do get under my skin. I love them, but even when I re-assure them I AM healthy and I AM making sure I don't get too thin BF wise, I still get pushback. I look at other slim people and I get a reality check there.. I am not overly slim by any means. I am healthy for sure, and I have some wiggle room to lose a little more.. and gain more muscle.. What an experiment this is turning into!
Crabadams72
on 9/16/12 10:17 am - Silver Spring, MD
I am having mental trips as well. My own bariatric doctor told me to not go below 120. This was in June and I was 128 at my visit then. Today I am 119 and although I did not plan to go this low, my body is not really slowing down. I am gradually eating more but I have to get more protein in so that is what I add to my diet.

I had a scale that measured body fat but it died and my new one doesn't tell. I can say my body fat was low when I was young and in shape yrs ago. I do need to get that checked though.

I can't wrap my mind around gaining weight. I have mentally been on this weight loss kick since I was 18 and I'm now 40. I don't even know what maintenance means-for me anyhow! I look gaunt on top and I only have batwings and wrinky upper thighs. I wil be getting the girls done, they look like raisins.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

INgirl
on 9/16/12 10:39 am
The upping cals but still losing is a very odd feeling.. Not ready to put the breaks on fully, yet. I can't imagine how hard it would be to try to intentionally gain.. 

Saw your post about Winter wardrobe shopping.. had to do that too. I also was trying on a load of dress pants in the thrift shop I love, grabbed the 8's & 10's as that's the size I have been getting for a while.. at least in jeans.. almost all were baggy. Of all of them, I found 4 that worked well, all 8's.. I get the feeling there are 6's out there that would fit well. That is frankly blowing my mind right now.

Came home- tried on my jeans that were slim fit last mo, ones that I always had a little muffin just over the back side of the hips if I wasn't careful.. no muffin, and about 3/4" room to spare.. Hmm. 

Did measurements today (1x a mo).. lost more than I thought all around. Difference was 5.5 lbs, but my waist lost .75" and hips a full inch (bust too :( ).. point being.. just that small amount of weight just completely changed my size/shape.

Things I never thought possible are happening..
Mlkpas
on 9/18/12 10:43 pm - Pasadena, CA
One thing to keep in mind when you start to feel too thin is that you may have a little "bounce back" and gain a few pounds back from your lowest weight.  So one way to think about that "too thin" feeling is that it may be a little insurance against getting back to "too fat" if that happens!  Congratulations on your success!

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

INgirl
on 9/19/12 6:48 am
This is true, and something I've kept in mind during this slightly spooky stage.