VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Personal survey - t...

Personal survey - to regain a little or not?

Mom4Jazz
on 10/17/12 9:51 pm
I'm sorry you're still having trouble with being able to work out since you "bonked your head". I didn't realize you were still dealing with that.

Yeah, lord knows what I'd be dealing with if I'd gotten a DS. Seems like a sleeve is plenty of firepower for me.

My focus really isn't on the number itself, it's on how I look and feel. My BMI is actually not extremely low. I know folks on here who are very happy with their weight who are lower BMI than me.

If you're right and after I gained 5 or 6 pounds on purpose to 145 I might then gain 10 more pounds in the natural course of things, I'd end up about 155. Here's a picture of me at 153. I honestly think I look much better in this picture than I do now. The only reason I'm NOT trying to regain all the way back up there is because of the concern you state - that I might naturally regain some later. But I really do look terrible right now. 

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

MacMadame
on 10/20/12 8:14 am - Northern, CA
But you can look 100 different ways at 155. We throw around these numbers like they are some absolutes. Like 155 on someone 5'8" looks exactly the same as 155 on someone else who is 5'8". When they don't.

It really is about body composition. If you put on 20 pounds of fat, you are going to look different than if you put on 20 pounds of muscle. Or 10 of each.

IOW, you could look like this again at a variety of numbers on the scale.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Cricket2000
on 10/17/12 11:42 pm - IN
 I'm late to this party but wanted to comment.  

Is there such a thing as being too thin???

Okay, I'm just kidding.  :)  . It was a joke really. 

Seriously...

I agree with not buying into the BMI thing too much.    Even my doctor agrees that it is a guidline.  

Have you gotten an opinion from your health care provider?  From a nutritionist?  Or from a personal trainer?  

I think a non biased opinion (not from a loved one) from a health care provider or a personal trainer , is a good idea because so many of us, me included, have a hard time seeing ourselves without the body dismorphia that sometimes comes along with our compulsive eating.  

You and I have a similiar height and weight but our bodies could look completely different depending on fat and muscle composition.    

I still want to drop a few pounds on the back side but I am finding it very hard to do and I'm okay with living with the kaboose if it decides to stay.  

If you do embrace the bmi thing, then 21 is a normal weight.    

I never had bounce back, because I chose not too.  When I stopped losing, I reduced my calories, and here I am at 1800 calories, limiting bad carbs to 30, working out and not losing or gaining.  

Some talk of bounceback as if it is forced on us and I don't agree.  I think it is a calories in, calories out, choice that we make.    

I know you will do what is right for you.  

K  

HW 200, surgery weight 190, Goal Weight 140, Current Weight 140, Height 5 foot 8 1/2
Sleeve Surgery by Aceves on Feb 10, 2011

moparmemaw
on 10/18/12 10:01 am - IA
I agree with MAC to some extent.  Try to build some muscle, while increasing your caloric intake with healthy foods.  Since you are so far below your goal, you have room to play.  If  you think you look too thin, then try to gain some muscle while also putting on weight.  If you increase your calories with healthy foods, I think you will be ok.  Take is slowly and watch yourself closely.  Maybe even measure yourself first so that you can monitor that.  Could you have your body fat tested now and then periodically to make sure you aren't gaining fat? 

I'm short.  5' 2" and weigh in between 142-145.  Not in the normal BMI range, but I'm fine with that.  I think I would be too thin if I lost down to 139 just to be in the normal BMI range.  I'm also 61 years old and with the excess skin, I sag more than younger ones.  
Wanda
Some people might not support my WLS decision. 
Those people remind me of slinkys. Not good for much but it would would bring a smile to my face if someone pushed them down the stairs.

Ticker includes Pre-op weight loss 24 lb. 

diane S.
on 10/19/12 2:22 am
there is no wrong answer here. If you feel you should weigh a little more then maybe you should. i got to my doctors goal and then accidently dropped about 12 more. he still says i am not too thin but that its up to me. i thought about trying to gain a little which he said to do with complex carbs. but so many people told me that a little creeps back on that I decided not to try to gain. over the last two years since reaching my low about 3 pounds have come back and stuck.   so thats ok.  my doctor says if i regain a pound a year, so what. I am 61 years old.  I do feel i look a little better with a few pounds back (less haggy face) but i don't want to start a gain cycle that I can't stop. so my choice is to just stay here. but you are very active - more than me - so if you do decided to add a little weight, do it with nuts and cheese and stuff like that.       diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

INgirl
on 10/19/12 4:35 pm
Hey! Just back from my extended trip and saw your post.. I too do agree with adding muscle moreso than trying to add back fat. I also after doing the bodpod, and subsequently following up with various other measuring methods no longer really buy the results of that particular test as being accurate at all.. not saying it's way off.. but I think the variance is too wide to put much stock in it.

I have lost about 10lbs on the scale since starting a lifting routine, BUT I look much better than I did, and not because I'm smaller- I'm not that much smaller at all.. my shoulders, back and legs have filled out a bit, my arms no longer look scrawny and I have noticeable pectoral muscles which don't really replace the lost breast tissue, but it's slowly helping fill in the chest-hollowness.. So.. yes, you need to do what you feel most comfortable with, but I really would consider adding in some heavy weight lifting (continually and incrementally upping the weight in order to keep challenging the muscles to stimulate growth) while upping cals if needed to gain (muscle & fat if desired.)

I know you love hiking, for physical and mental health- but have you considered cutting back a bit if you are having a hard time eating back enough calories to stay within a comfy range?