VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » 2 years out and I'm...

2 years out and I'm slipping-help!

therese50
on 2/8/13 10:40 pm - Lansing, MI

Hello all.  I had my VSG two years ago last month.  I've done well, got to goal and in the last six months I just sort of stopped doing what I should.  I had a lot going on in my personal life that explains why everything got upside down, but I need to get back on the train and turn it around.  Anyone have this happen- and if so, what did you do to get back on track?

MacMadame
on 2/9/13 8:35 am - Northern, CA

My Fitness Pal!

I stopped tracking my food for various reasons and when my weight started creeping up, I went back to My Fitness Pal and now it's slowing going down.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

anninva
on 2/9/13 11:46 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Hi!  We're just one day apart -- and I just posted virtually the same thing last week. So I feel your pain. I got A LOT of good answers, so check them out. I'm still not back in the swing of things, stress, me, stuff. No excuses, but . . .

Let's keep track of each other.  Sending you big hugs!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

therese50
on 2/9/13 12:52 pm - Lansing, MI
Thanks. I know this isn't rocket science, but after two years I guess I'm surprised to see myself slipping. I need to return to these boards and get this support. Thank you.

Mom4Jazz
on 2/9/13 8:55 pm

I second the myfitnesspal suggestion. I have logged my food there for 495 days in a row as of today (it tracks that for you, I'm not OCD enough to count myself) and it has become a habit. When things are in black and white in front of you it's easier to maintain control, or at least it is for me. I use a smart phone and it only takes a minute.

Back to basics would be my suggestion. And be gentle with yourself; I imagine every one of us will go through places like this.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

therese50
on 2/9/13 10:28 pm - Lansing, MI

I have used MyPlate before with success.  I'm wondering what you strive for as far as calories, protein and carbs.  And again, thank you to anyone *****sponds.  This is very upsetting and i am terrified of gaining all my weight back.

Happy966
on 2/11/13 12:06 am

This is just me talking, but I will *always* struggle with food.  I feel like it is just part of who I am, and expecting not to struggle, then wondering why I do has been a colossal waste of time and energy.  I wish food were easier for me, but I know it's not going to be.  I just have to accept that and move on into reality, not how I wish things were. 

For me, a big part of this journey has been learning how to get back on track.  I have a history of doing really well, then getting off track and then not even being in the same county as the tracks for months and months.  Logging is very much a part of this.  I vacillate between logging on my computer-based program and MFP, but I think MFP is better because of the mobile app.  I do not like the under/over calories part, because I can get wrapped up about being 10 calories over and then eat another 100 because "what-the-hell."  So this is my current lesson.

Also, I sometimes wish I could get "back" to a place I used to be about food, and I just have to accept that that "back" is gone, and I need to get to a new place.  This might seem to be a distinction without a difference, but it's usually a feeling I used to have about food or my eating that I am chasing, and right now I'm really aware that I have to *act* my way into right thinking/feeling, not the other way around.  The other thing is that I *have* to participate actively in my own recovery every day, I can't just coast.  I find posting here *really* helps with that.  It keeps me focused on the job at hand.

All this is to say, I am right there with you and we just have to keep plugging!!  Glad you're here!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

therese50
on 2/11/13 1:37 am - Lansing, MI

Thank you for this response. I do believe that there is some OCD component to how much I think about food.  I think about it all the time-how much I can have and when, what I should eat, when I can eat next, what I want but shouldn't have etc.  I know people who don't have these food issues just don't think about food at all until they get hungry.  That's just not the case with me.  It's better when I eat very few carbs, but then I find I have bowel issues if I don't have my oatmeal and nuts etc.  So, I'm with you in accepting that I will probably just be wrestling with these thoughts for life and learning to use tools to manage them.  Thanks for the input, I appreciate it all.

heathermc44
on 2/11/13 6:33 am - Bremerton, WA

Hi Therese,

I am right there with you.  I'm closing in on three years and I've gained about 6 pounds in the past 2 months.  I know it doesn't sound like a lot but I can definitely fill it in my pants.  My hubbs and I were going out the other night and I put on a pair of pants that were TIGHT!  Wholey, Moley, did that ever scare the heck out of me!  

Just kind of looking at your stats, it looks like we had the same starting weight.  My ideal weight is about 125/130.  I got down to about 132 for all of one day and then have settled around 135.  I'm now up to 141.  I'm only 5'2.  I would really like to see 130 and see if I can maintain there.  

I've started tracking my food and exercise again, things I did when I first had surgery but then sort of slacked off.  I agree with other posters that when I  track I tend to make better choices.  I'm also starting to up my protein and limit carbs.  I've started drinking shakes again.  I really slacked off on the protein and think I need to start beefing it back up.  

Anyway, let's keep in touch and see if we can't motivate each other.  Good luck to all of us who are in this struggle.

mickidee23
on 2/11/13 2:53 pm

Me too - too many sweets, carbs, diet sodas, and less restriction, and lack of exercise have all contributed to 15 lbs. started tracking my food again using my net diary app, lost 3 lbs already.

HW 267  SW 258  GW 150  Ht. 5'10.5"  Age 41