VSG Maintenance Group

TGIF 08/12/16

ocean4dlm
on 8/12/16 2:40 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

124's

Still hot and humid. Really pleased with vascular appointment.  First, my surgeon stopped in his tracks and was speechless, seeing 147 less pounds of me. He repeatedly emphasized the positive difference in prognosis at a healthy weight !  Yeah, us !!!  I am off blood thinners and water pill. I have no hereditary markers for clotting disorders, and both DVTs have been associated with outside factors (PICC line and open reduction of compound fracture). He referred me for custom fitted compression stockings, which I will have to wear most of the time, forever. I can live with that. Wound is almost closed. I can leave it undressed , and as soon as tiny scab is gone.... POOL !!!!

Have a great day, and stay cool.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

carbondated
on 8/12/16 6:12 am

Morning everyone.

out late last nigh****ching the meteor show.  Spectacular!!!

good news on the getting off Meds for dvd's Ocean !  Good for you!

yesterday was third sugar free day.  Good calories and again steps paltry.

keep cool , literally, you east coasters!

stephanieplum
on 8/12/16 7:58 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Good Morning!  I've been awake since 4am; up since 5am. My damn phone notified me it was hot outside!!! My fault.  I forgot to silence it!!! Woke Andy up, too. I'm sure he wasn't happy!  Anyway, I have the yard work done before it gets too hot.  Maybe I can redeem myself that way! lol

Im going to the Y for Pilates and coming home to relax! I may read over library notes and study some so I know what I'm doing. 

Here's to happy healthy living!

Hkinzfnp
on 8/12/16 8:44 am

Good morning all!!!

146.8 this morning.  A new low for me so very exciting to see the scale moving the right way!

I have to tell you all about my experience at Target this morning.  I usually wear scrubs to work but picked up a shift at my perdiem job next week and I have a conference next month so needed a few new clothes.  Picked up size 10 pants and size small shirts- woo hoo!!  When I got to the check out a delightful elderly woman rung up my purchases.  She said "people are finding the cutest clothes today.  I can't wear sleeveless shirts but you're so thin around the shoulders it looks beautiful."  I told her that meant a lot to me since I've lost 122 pounds.  She immediately asked how I'd done it and I told her about my surgery.  I make it my policy to ask the "how I lost the weight" question honestly.  I am proud of conquering my obesity and the work I've done.  We had a lovely conversation that just made my day.

Not many times in my life have I ended a clothes shopping trip with a smile but today is one!  Now back home to sweat and pack for the camping trip.

Enjoy the day my skinny friends!!!  :)

Highest Weight: 268 pounds.  Surgery Weight 248 pounds.  Current Weight 142 pounds.  VSG 8/24/15 with Dr. Havaleshko

JoeyJo
on 8/12/16 10:13 am, edited 8/12/16 3:16 am - NJ

Congratulations!  I always answer that question truthfully too. 

I took a few bags of old clothes to Good Will yesterday and quickly looked around the blouses and skirts as my son started to complain.  Occasionally I find treasures like my favorite Calvin Klein lined pencil skirt that I got for $3 last year so I HAD to look.  Not only did I find a Liz Claiborne brown zebra print skirt that screamed to me, I found a hardly if ever worn, light purple, wrinkle-resistant Talbots button-down blouse, both in size 12.  Total $9.  Brought them home, threw them in the washing machine and am wearing the blouse today with the pencil skirt from last year.  I haven't tried on the "new" skirt, but I am so happy with my shopping.  I traded bags of clutter for two quality pieces.   

Hkinzfnp
on 8/12/16 2:47 pm

We just got a Goodwill near my house...I really need to check it out!

Highest Weight: 268 pounds.  Surgery Weight 248 pounds.  Current Weight 142 pounds.  VSG 8/24/15 with Dr. Havaleshko

Shel25
on 8/12/16 8:52 am

Good morning my  Mindfully Resilient Amigos!

DianeO, so glad about your progress!  Off blood thinners and almost ready for pool. Woohooo!  

Pacific Northwest will be unusually warm today.  We do not pretend to be happy with this but will survive. 

No weight today as I worked with wound management and rushed to get ready for appointment downtown this morning.  (I am now at the appointment freakishly early.)  Still too many extra bites in evening in particular.

I plan to start a modified version of the thin woman's CBT program.  Modified because (for one thing) she doesn't believe in daily weighing.  The program starts slow and gradually adds components so nothing too exciting happening right away.  She is big into meditation which I should be able to add with some ease.  She is also big into tracking progression which I am not sure will look like but I did download a couple of apps recommended from the main board.  She recognizes that the whole Programness of this can easily become counterproductive so I feel safe in trying to make it as easy breezy as possible without guilt.

Stay cool, all! 

Shel

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/16 9:08 am

Back down .8 so it's progress. 

Diane O., great news from the appt.!!!! Please, please don't go into the pool too soon! 

Carbon, I saw a beautiful meteor last night, too. That was around 10:00. I was in bed at midnight and thought I should get up, but then just dozed off. Oh well....

The garage cleaning continues. A huge dent has been made and I'm sure that by mid next week we will be done. (No garage work over the weekend, as we have a charity event we are both working and then lots of busy stuff on Sunday-grooming, church, errands, etc...) 

Yesterday I took note of the fact that I am rarely hungry. I mean I have to go a LOOOOOONG time - say 5, 6 hours before I have any sense of true hunger most of the time. Sure there are exceptions, but.... So, I'm trying to look at ways of dealing not only with the conditioned hypereating, but also acknowledging that a great deal of my eating is habituated eating. Neither is easy, but they are two different animals! 

I was feeling *****y and pissy last night after my long day. Vacation mode was gone. Boooooo! However, I'm feeling so much better and positive this morning. Hallelujah! 

CARBS! I have a question: What kind of carbs set you off? I'm really curious if it is really combinations of carbs that create hyper palatable food that set most of us off, or if indeed just any simple carb will do it. My guess is that they hyper foods win hands down.

I'm in the hyper palatable food category. My deadly combination, as you all know, is a fat, sugar, flour combo (baked goods) and fat and sugar combos (chocolate). Whole grain carbs, no problem. Fruit, no problem. Basic bread, no problem. Potatoes, rice, pasta, (we're talking plain, not dressed up) no problem. Please take part in my super unscientific little poll! 

LeapSecond
on 8/12/16 10:38 am - AR

I've thought a lot about why Nuts and Yogurt are THE taste for me.  Sweet from the caramel coffee yogurt. Fat from the nuts and seeds.  With the perfect not to salty from the dry roasted peanuts.  Perfect storm.  In season local fruit is also hard for me to resist.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/16 10:57 am

Ah.... Nuts and Yogurt as you describe would be salt layered on fat layered on sugar. Add the smooth, creamy texture with crunch giving way back to the smooth creamy - Yes, a perfect hyper-palatable storm! 

I'm curious, when you say in season local fruit is hard to resist, what do you mean? Can you describe that? Is it that it calls to you or more along the lines of when you begin to eat it, it is very hard to stop? Also, are some fruits safer for you than others?