VSG Maintenance Group

Groups » VSG Maintenance Grou... » Discussion » Saturday, March 10,...

Saturday, March 10, 2018

CC C.
on 3/10/18 9:07 am

Weight 165.2

It's raining here and will through tomorrow morning. Yay! The expectation is for less than 1/2", but I'll take it. I need a few green hikes before it heats up again.

My aunt is turning 80 next month and my cousin is arranging a semi-surprise weekend in Cincinnati for her. The semi-surprise is my Dad and his wife coming down from MI and hopefully me and one of her sons coming from CA. I'll know if I can go after my Wednesday plastic surgery appt. I'd really like to make it if I can. We're a small family and family matters. But it's the weekend of April 21 and my surgery needs to be done before May 31. Hopefully it all works out and the surgeon has a date that works for both.

For those who've had the LBL, how soon did you feel well enough for a cross country flight?

All you all have a lovely weekend!

Shel25
on 3/10/18 2:25 pm

I went back to look at my LBL posts which was mid July 2016. It looks like in week 3 I was attending appointments with MIL --- so getting around hospitals/big clinics. I might have been unber-ring rather than driving tho. In the beginning, the uber was because of opioid use. By week 3, if I used an uber it would have been because concern that I might get a sudden zap of pain at the drain insertion sites or a sudden braking might cause pain.

The pain around drain insertion sites was problemati****il the drains were pulled.

I can see from posts that I was still wearing the compression garments at week 3. I'm pretty sure that I carried that on for a few more weeks tho not necessarily the full shebang. The compression garments made me feel more put together. I would wear them on the plane, for sure.

So, as to your question.....from my posts, I think travel at the 2 week mark would have been pretty dicey. I could have done it on week three if I didn't have to drive myself and didn't have to haul luggage. I would also try to fly in first/business class.

However, I was still having some pain at that time and had random days of being super tired. Also, I had a small leaky spot that would occasionally drain a lot It was the tiniest spot, ever, but the sudden release of fluid every 2-3 days wasn't work friendly so I was out of work til week 5 or 6 because of that. It would be horrible to have that happen on a plane.

It is hard to predict that kind of random complication, tho. That is the real wild card ---just not knowing what kind of small weirdo thing simply needs a bit more time to heal that the other 99.9% of you.

My guess is that there is a very good chance that it will work out so you can go.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

CC C.
on 3/10/18 2:30 pm

That's incredibly helpful, Shel, thank you!!

Shel25
on 3/10/18 2:31 pm

One more thing, besides LBL, I have had VSG, bunion surgery and a double mastectomy. The mastectomy happened after 6 months chemo so I was weak and icky.

The LBL was harder to recovery from than any of those. I required much more rest/down time.

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

CC C.
on 3/10/18 3:07 pm

That's the hard part of all this - everyone's experience seem so varied. At the extremes, some still have open wounds 3 months out, others are back to work in two weeks. I was figuring on a month of recovery before I had to go anywhere. We'll see if that works!

diane S.
on 3/10/18 10:23 am

Greetings Saturday Celebrators!

146 today. Fish last night cooked in a little butter and lime. Most excellent. So were the cherry tomatoes and 3 Andes mints.

So DH was up at the crack of dawn moving boxes around right outside the bedroom. Well at least he is discarding some stuff. Me too. Found a bunch of bank statements from the 1990's that really need to go bye bye. But some stuff has SSI# so its got to go to a shredder.

Ann its so good to hear you are experiencing some joy. I suspect you are an innately joyful person and that will prevail. Joy comes in small packages - ie crocus size or Dove dark chocolate egg size.

Shel, glad you got those little maps. And hey, we found the hike book which I will peruse for your benefit. I got it because I thought DH and I might do some of the smaller ones. So sorry for the situation with MIL passing. It really makes you think about life and put things in perspective. Hopefully this trip will be a bit of a tonic for you - change of scene and fun stuff to do. But I just heard last night that part of scenic drive is closed due to a slide. Thats the super beautiful little road I wanted you to see. I will find out where that closure is and we can get in from the other direction.

Yeah, Alzheimers is a cruel disease and we have all been touched by it. My grandmother had it the last 5 or 6 years of her life. Care giving can be so draining. I am grateful my mother could afford first rate help as I never could have lifted her and done what she needed.

Lordy BB, I hate to ask what is left at your parent's house to break down? Lets hope that run of bad luck is over and its on to the grand entrance of Nugget. Bet they are excited about that!

Cecily, hoping you get your hike in and wishing you the best on upcoming plastics. Any paintings to share?

We have a couple of wonderful new painters applying for membership in our gallery. It comes at a good time since we have a little space and the tourist season is approaching.

Have a joyful day all. I am drinking a cup of fresh brewed joy. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CC C.
on 3/10/18 11:29 am

Sorry for the dark lighting! We were doing California impressionism. I'm happy with a lot of it, but I need to fix the tree trunk bases...