Are you "tempted" more now??

Vickie J
on 8/22/06 4:20 am - Tallahassee, FL
Now that we're 18 months post-op, are you finding yourself more tempted by poor food choices & old habits? I'm having to work much, much harder to stay within my food plan these days! NOT FAIR!! I had hoped that by the time I was this far out I would have retrained my brain not to gravitate towards those old favorites - sweets & starchy carbs. I have not begun to regain any of my lost weight but if I can't get a better grip on these desires I'm afraid weight regain is in my future. Are you having these same problems and if so, how are you coping? Vickie J.
Janet H.
on 8/22/06 9:07 am - Huntington, WV
Oh yes! I haven't touched any sweets at all so that is not a problem. My biggest temptation is breads and snack crackers. I allow myself some and try to monitor my portion sizes. That is my biggest fear is regaining the weight. How am I coping...I guess to say jus****ching. If I do overdo, I still get sick...so that may be a plus. Good luck and keep up the protein. Janet
Vickie J
on 8/23/06 4:24 am - Tallahassee, FL
Janet, My advice is to stay as far away from sweets as possible - sugar is EVIL!! I accidentally discovered I don't dump on sugar and now I find it far too easy to give in to the temptation. I still try to monitor how much I eat but it isn't as easy since I know I can have it without getting sick. I sometimes envy those that dump on sugar b/c I know I found it easier to say "no" to sweets when I was afraid I'd get sick. Good luck & hang in there! Vickie J.
Tracy B
on 8/22/06 9:02 pm - Erie, PA
Yep! Here too. I know I am an emotional eater and I have had a few issues lately. I know that its wrong but I feel like I can't stop myself! I haven't regained any weight (yet!) but I too fear regain. So I'm trying to get a grip on that part of it. I know what to do and how to do it right, but some days its hard. I enjoy Wheat Thins a little too much sometimes so I've stopped buying them. I also think that I've never been good at maintaining my weight so now that I'm in "maintenance mode" sometimes I don't know what to do and it scares me. We are all learning as we go and I feel so lucky to have all of you to learn from! Good Luck! Tracy B 328/150 5'9"
Vickie J
on 8/23/06 4:28 am - Tallahassee, FL
Tracy, I think you've hit on something I haven't really thought about. I've always done well at "dieting" and losing weight but have never been able to maintain it & keep the weight off. Maybe I am subconsiously shooting myself in the foot b/c I fear being successful this time Something think about. Thanks for the insight!! Hang in there & stay away from the Wheat Thins (I can't buy them either!!) Vickie J.
DonnaGirl
on 8/31/06 1:06 pm - Wichita Falls, TX
Vickie, I haven't been good at all about reading and posting, but I find myself "tempted" more so I got online tonight to read and get re-energized. To see my January family experiencing the same thing gives me comfort but still know I have to get in under control. Thanks for sharing.
Vickie J
on 8/31/06 2:24 pm - Tallahassee, FL
Hang in there Donna! It sounds like many of us are enduring the same trials & temptations. I have good days and not so good ones. I'm finding my worst times are at night. I just want to nibble constantly. So far, my weight has stayed within my "range" (I give myself a 3 lb. + or - range so I don't freak out over every little ounce) but I've been hanging close to the top of my range and that doesn't make me happy. We will have to keep encouraging each other! Hugs! Vickie J.
DonnaGirl
on 9/1/06 8:29 am - Wichita Falls, TX
You are absolutely correct. I know for me I would like to be at a lower weight than the doc has me at. Dr says 150lbs which is where I am at but I want to be at 130lbs so that I too many not feeling so threatened by a few here or there. Not to indulge--but simply have a comfort zone. I like to nibble more too. I love crunchy items - pretzels, chips, crackers, carrots, any thing crunchy. What has help is those 100 calorie snack bags. It's portion control for me.
white2003toyota
on 9/3/06 1:07 pm - Kaneohe, HI
Hi Donna! I know exactly what you mean!!! As you can see by my earlier post I am really strict with my diet and exercise, but have only lost 5 pounds since March 6, 2006. I had TT on that date and my ps told me that is approximately the amount of extra skin and fat that he removed. I get really down on myself because I start to wonder if it is worth adhering to my strict food intake and exercise. Is it really worth it? When I haven't lost any weight since being 12 months post op. I get really down on myself when I see people that have lost 150 pounds or more. I am only 5 feet tall and should really weigh about 110-115 pounds. I started at 261 and currently weigh 130 pounds. So I'm still not really in the normal range for my height. My surgeon told me that apparently my body has reached its comfort zone and that I should be happy with what I have lost so far. I hate to be greedy, but I see pictures of other post ops where they've gone from a 3X and now wear a size 4 or size 6. That's when I get really depressed. It would be great if we could get more January, 2005 post ops to start posting again so that we could support and encourage each other as we did right after our WLS. I hope others read this post as a cry out for help!!! Take care and God Bless. Lots of aloha, Pat
miztex
on 9/14/06 2:31 pm - Pharr, TX
Vicki, Oh, boy!!Seems like we are ALL tempted now. I am having a very hard time. Yesterday, hubby brought home a "treat" for me. Chocolate mint candy!!! GAAAHHH!!! Husband KNOWS better. HE HAD THE SURGERY TOO!!!!!! So what did I do after everyone was asleep? I ATE IT!!! It was less than 1 oz., but it tasted VERY sweet. I suffered cramps, diarrhea, hot flashes, and nausea for over an hour. Why did I do it? LOCO! I also snack at night. BAD GIRL!! We should all get right back on this board regularly and get back with the program! Mea Culpa! Lou Ann
Most Active
Recent Topics