2 surgeries in one....almost 7 month anniversary....NO followup doctor yet!

treasuresx3
on 2/16/07 6:19 am
On July 21st 2006 My balloon was popped. I have been deflating ever since. I started at 219 5 ft 4" BMI of 39/40. My doctor did 2 surgeries at once. The RYN as well he said he was going to put a ring on me as well (which I was very confused about) The reason he said he does this (to all of his patients) is to make sure they never gain the weight back. Before I go on, I should mention my ins covered 100% During the consultation, the doctor said he knows everything was covered "however they do not cover the ring, So that will have to be paid for before surgery. ($250.00) I called my ins company asking why they did not cover. They said this procedure has not been done anymore and they wanted more info. I did not think much of it at the time. I was anxious to get on with my surgery date. When I went in for surgery, I tried to tell the doctor apologeticaly that I forgot my check book at home and would pay during my 1st follow up. He looked very embarressed and hushed me up. when a week later I went for the visit, I brought the check book. I tried to pay him and he said he could not take a check ha said cash only. I said I would send a money order in the mail so he did not have to wait any longer. He said to either drive cash in or mail it. I have to tell you I felt something fishy going on. Oh also before going on. this doctor never saw me in the hospiyal (after surgey...in fact I was sent home with extremely low oxygen...thinking it was just after surgery, I thought my being sick and weeker each day was normal. I was admitted back into my local hospital with nomonia (bad speller). I tried calling to doctor after my release to tell him everything. He never returned my calls. Now I am almost 7 months out and I am 1.5 lbs from a normal BMI Currently I am 146.5 (My doctor never gave me a goal...So I do not know what it should be) My goal is 117 because after looking at the BMI chart (unhealthy starts at 116). I know from reading these boards that most patients gain about 10lbs so i thought 117 (plus 10 more) would be ok. I can only drink approx 16-21oz in a day. I take 2 flinstone vitamins daily. along with natural stool sofeners and natural laxative daily. I take a vitaminB-12 daily as well. I do not consume much protein in a day. I eat 2-4 tiny meals (each meal is a few bites) in day. I am always tired! no energy. I know i need to see anothe doctor. However the doctor i was seeing is the only doctor in my plan for my type of ins. I could use some advise, as well if others could let me know what kind of test they get from their follow-ups, I can ask my primary doctor to do the same tests on me. Thank You reading and for the advice sorry for any spelling errors. I was quick to get this done before my children needed me again.
Gi G.
on 2/16/07 11:34 pm
Wow what a wild ride. Since you had your surgery in July, I think it would be better to ask on that board. I don't remember what it felt like to be at that far out, but I believe I was drinking far more than you say you are able to, and eat more, too! If that doc is the only one in your plan, maybe just schedule an appointment to talk to him in person so he can't blow you off? Otherwise, call your insurance and let them know how he seems to be avoiding you and demand they allow you to go out of network. Good luck. xosm
Beam me up Scottie
on 2/17/07 12:46 am
At 7 months out, you sound like you actually need to stop your weight loss at this point and not continue. You should contact the surgeon that performed the surgery, follow up care with the RNY is extremely important. It doesn't sound like your getting in enough protein daily, nor does it sound like your drinking enough liquids. The standard for women (which varies from surgeon to surgeon) is 70 grams of protein a day, and at least 64 oz of water. Most people have to resort to protein shakes in order to get in the protein, and have to sip constantly to get in the liquids. As far as blood work, any local PCP or endocrinologist (sp?) can order blood work to be done on you. I'm not sure what most Doctors have run for the RNY, but if you go to www.duodenalswitch.com you can find lists of what doctors order for DSers. It's much more involved then just running blood counts, and lipid pannels. I'd highly recommend you contact your insurance company and find out if there is another surgeon in your area or outside your area that you can go to...if not it might be worth paying out of pocket to go to one. Your health is very important, and not following up with a doctor post op can have long term consequences. Scott BTW how did you get released from the hospital if your doctor never saw you? The doctors signature is required to release you from most hosptials.
treasuresx3
on 2/17/07 1:30 am
Thanks for the replies. As far as stopping weight loss, I do not understand why I should stop it as well I don't think one can after a gastric bypass. I had an on call doctor release me. I will take your advice and call my ins company As well I will print up blood work from the above post and bring it to my primary. Thank you
Most Active
Recent Topics
I'm out of control
maryjo57 · 3 replies · 1685 views
5 years ago
Homeseller_Rebecca W. · 0 replies · 661 views
NEED INFORMATION...HELP
janeel1 · 1 replies · 760 views