Getting protein

newmeintwentyten
on 2/21/10 1:26 am
Hi All.  I am two weeks post op RNY tomorrow.  I am having such a hard time eating.  I cannot eat anything or drink portein shakes without feeling sick.  The only thing I can eat is SF popsicles.  Is this normal, will it get better?  I am concered b/c I am not getting any protein.

ruxanby
on 2/21/10 1:36 am
I would place a call to your surgeon to ask for suggestions.  Good luck
Sheri F.   
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Lorraine_Z
on 2/21/10 6:32 am - London, OH
When is your follow-up?  call the Dr.  You'll get dehydrated.

This is not the way it should be!

I'm almost 2 weeks out.  Still struggling to get ALL my protein in but i can eat & enjoy it.  Just finished ricotta with sauce. Yummy!

Lorraine

(40 lbs. lost pre-op)  

D.I.E.T. = Did I Eat Thoughtfully?  

newmeintwentyten
on 2/21/10 8:47 am
Thanks.  Do you add meat to your ricotta and sauce?  That sounds good :-)

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/10 12:36 pm
im two weeks out on tuesday and i wish i could eat ricotta and sauce!!~ lol.

im still on protein shakes and clear liquids until thursday

but even though i struggle to get in my whole 64 oz. i am very close and i do get about 30 grams of protein a day. which is still only half of what im supposed to be getting.. but its a start right! lol
sandysgrin
on 2/21/10 10:07 pm - mesa, AZ
Hi, I had a lap band over bypass 2-11 and still working on shakes. I wanted to say Costco has home High protein drinks that are 30gm of protein per 11 oz. I put it in my coffee to help we get it down.
Sandy in AZ on Mars

smartini
on 2/23/10 2:07 am - Brooklyn , NY
RNY on 02/09/10 with
I am about two weeks out, and can only drink the Figure 8 drink from Arbonnne.  All the others make me sick.  I have tried several ie.) Muscle Milk, GNC, and others. 
Try the Arbonne Figure 8.
Greg K.
on 2/24/10 12:06 am, edited 2/24/10 12:07 am - Binghamton, NY
Hi guys, I'm two weeks out yesterday, RNY. I sort of have the opposite problem, and sometimes wonder if the doc really did the surgery?? (But I've got the occasional gut pain if I move wrong to remind me, lol!)

Even beginning in the hospital, I didn't have any time drinking what they wanted me to... the four 1-oz medicine cups. I could get up to 8 of those little suckers some hours. Weird!

I've been surfing ObesityHelp for many years, so I was very aware of all the protein drinks, not just the powders. I'm particularly fond of the BariatricEating.com "believe" protein coffe drinks. 20g protein, very low calories and carbs, they're thin rather than thick, and easy to get down.

I'm also using a lot of Unjury unflavored protein, available at Unjury.com. I put a two scoops in my strained cream soups, adding 20g protein per serving.

These things aren't really cheap, but my theory (which my wife supports) is that I'm not eating any real food, so my costs are low at the grocery store right now.

Our NUT says to get a minimum of 50g protein per day on this full liquid stage (mushies start two weeks from the day you get home). I've actually been able to get 80-100g protein with the various protein powders and drinks. My reading tells me that protein is even more important for guys as we lose lots of weight to make sure we don't lose too much muscle (working out is important too... I'm procrastinating as we speak, lol).

I'm always surprised how different all the docs are with their requirements post-op... some of you at two weeks are already eating solids! I'm jealous. I will admit I tried a couple crackers, chewed up really really well, and had no problem (I'm such a test-and-see kinda guy) but that was only once and I'm back on my full liquids just to "follow the program" and get used to everything my doc & NUT want us to do (as issued in the handout).

I will say that hydrating with 64 ounces every day... and getting your minimum of 50g protein every day... are something that I see reccomended EVERYWHERE I read about post-op online. our bodies after RNY can't absorb as much protein as they used to, because the bypassed part of our intestines was where we used to absorb most of our protein. High protein is important for healing from surgery (which really takes a full three months by some accounts), as well as making sure your body loses weight from fat stores more than from muscle. Protein will also help minimize hair loss, and help keep up your energy.

Water is important because as our bodies lose weight, many toxins are released from the old fat stores into the bloodstream, and water helps your body wash that away. Post op our bodies have a tendency to dehydrate, so water is really important! Sip, sip, sip!

Sorry to be preachy. Trust me, it comes from jealousy of those of you who can actually eat food, ha ha.

If you can't eat or drink anything, you really should call your surgeon's office... it's possible you're getting a stricture... a narrowing or closing of the newly created opening between your new smaller stomach and your intestine. I'm told that they can easily dilate this opening, called the anastomosis, with a simple inpatient procedure involving a balloon-like device they inflate slightly to enlarge the opening. 

OK, enough from me. Welcome all to the "loser's bench"!!

384  |  328  |  244  |  195
highest  |  surgery day  |  current   |  my goal

RNY (proximal--150cm) 5' 8", 55 years old

mellyw
on 3/2/10 12:39 pm
You're not alone..  My doctor has told me over and over that everyone is different.  I am having a hard time eating too.  Fortunately, I have only felt nauseated twice but mainly stuff just hurts going down.  I can get in 1 cup of protein shake in about 2 hours but it's not pleasant going down.  Drinking plain water is very uncomfortable as well but drinking weak hot herbal tea is fine.  And, yes, the only thing that truly doesn't bother me at all are the popsicles.  We are not getting enough protein at this rate.  I have my follow up surgeon's appt tomorrow.  I hope yours is soon as well so they can give you some ideas.  If I learn anything interesting I will pass it on.  Take care.  
Hey God, It's me Melly . . .

Most Active
Recent Topics
Our 2 year - we rock!
Liz R. · 3 replies · 1438 views
One Year. No Regrets!
Sunshine704NC · 1 replies · 1419 views
TIme is flying...
jstatum_05 · 5 replies · 932 views
Wow time goes by fast...
DreamComeTrue07 · 2 replies · 892 views